Options

Muench Workshops: Santa Barbara Spring Fling! -- April 17-19

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited April 25, 2009 in Landscapes
469327416_rsr4w-M.jpg

[imgl]http://smugmug.com/photos/470895164_AB9PR-M.jpg[/imgl]
Muench Workshops is holding a workshop for all you Weekend Warriors.

This one starts Friday night and ends Sunday night, April 17-19, 2009. Marc will be taking you around his home turf (his life-long hometown) and helping you to push your landscape photography to the next level. It's spring, so we'll be concentrating on flowers!

More info here.

And of course you can ask any questions you have, right here in this thread!
:thumb

NEW
The workshop continues as the participants are submitting up to 5 of their images for critique and conversation with Marc. That thread is here.

We'll be collecting any other threads that people start to post their images from the workshop, below:
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    sounds LOVELY! Alas, I'll be in Vegas for the FEI Rolex World Cup (horse show) that weekend. Everyone who goes -- HAVE A BLAST!!!!!
    //Leah
  • Options
    BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2009
    That first photo is amazing. Wish I could be there.
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2009
    what a great opportunity.
    (in my case i have no choice in going, but i hope to get another chance)
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    YES YES YES!! I'm actually off work most of April and if I can convince the family to come to SB for the weekend—I'm so going. Thank you Marc, you must be reading my mail.

(later) Some hard-working so-and-so just put down a deposit.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2009
    Splendid photos

Enjoy the workshop !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Flowers
    I took a quick tour of my favorite flower locations above Santa Barbara. The area Marc got the poppies shot above is just starting to come alive, by the time of the workshop it should be an unbroken blanket of lupine and poppies. Further along the same road is a field that will be full of shooting stars. The flower potential this year looks excellent.
    -Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2009
    Bump! :D

This is going to be amazing, and a nice way to fit in some real quality time with a pro in a normal working weekend.

Driving up the coast last weekend I saw flowers are already popping out like crazy in the north part of the state. I hope this means the same (or better) down south. :ivar
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2009
    schmoo wrote:

This is going to be amazing, and a nice way to fit in some real quality time with a pro in a normal working weekend.

Driving up the coast last weekend I saw flowers are already popping out like crazy in the north part of the state. I hope this means the same (or better) down south. :ivar

Schmoo, I'm thrilled that you're going to be joining us!

(and belatedly: Pindy, glad you're coming, too! :D Sorry I missed saying that earlier!)
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2009
    schmoo wrote:

There is an incredible amount of lupine out. Every day on my commute there is more and more lupine. On my last trip up Figueroa there was lots of shooting stars, poppies, lupine. The chocolate lilies where just starting. The lilies should be great for the workshop.
    -Philip
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2009
    There is an incredible amount of lupine out. Every day on my commute there is more and more lupine. On my last trip up Figueroa there was lots of shooting stars, poppies, lupine. The chocolate lilies where just starting. The lilies should be great for the workshop.
    -Philip

That's great to hear! Ever since we got here I've just been stunned with the variety and abundance of flora and fauna out in CA. Looking out any window I see dozens and dozens of varieties of plants and flowers. Out east the view was always more... subtle. I recently purchased an California-specific Audubon field guide and am really looking forward to identifying all the things out there to shoot. :D

15 sleeps to go....

See you all soon!
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    That's great to hear! Ever since we got here I've just been stunned with the variety and abundance of flora and fauna out in CA. Looking out any window I see dozens and dozens of varieties of plants and flowers. Out east the view was always more... subtle. I recently purchased an California-specific Audubon field guide and am really looking forward to identifying all the things out there to shoot. :D

15 sleeps to go....

See you all soon!

You said you're in northern CA. On your way down make a side trip to
    Shell Creek and route 58. If you have lots of time right around there is carrizo plains national monument. If your traveling south on 101 shell creek is about 1hr inland along rt 58. Well worth a detour. Carrizo plains is great to but its mostly washboard dirt road so it can realy be rough.

-Philip
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2009
    Some fun this weekend
    I talked to Marc Monday on my lunch hour . It sounds like you guys are going to have a great weekend. The locations he was talking about sound great!!! The weather is is looking good.
    Flowers are great, the lupine have been out for a bit but poppies are really starting to get going and the later bloomers like chocolate lilies are looking good. Plenty of blue dicks, shooting stars, blue eyed grass and stork bills.
    One of the spots he was talking about has lots of mustard and anise and look for the Anise Swallow tail as well as plenty of monarchs and common buckeyes. I haven't seen many painted ladies down in SB but there should be some around. He was talking about spots on the front country above SB where there should be california sisters, western tiger swallow tails and painted ladies.
    -Philip
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2009
    I talked to Marc Monday on my lunch hour . It sounds like you guys are going to have a great weekend. The locations he was talking about sound great!!! The weather is is looking good.
    Flowers are great, the lupine have been out for a bit but poppies are really starting to get going and the later bloomers like chocolate lilies are looking good. Plenty of blue dicks, shooting stars, blue eyed grass and stork bills.
    One of the spots he was talking about has lots of mustard and anise and look for the Anise Swallow tail as well as plenty of monarchs and common buckeyes. I haven't seen many painted ladies down in SB but there should be some around. He was talking about spots on the front country above SB where there should be california sisters, western tiger swallow tails and painted ladies.
    -Philip

Awesome, thanks for the updates Phil!
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2009
    Thanks so much for yet another great workshop! I'm thrilled to have been able to spend the too-short weekend meeting and shooting with new peeps, who I hope check in on Dgrin sometime so we can see some shots of beautiful Santa Barbara and poppies.

517427289_ySch7-L-1.jpg

(I'm so full just looking at this pic again.)

Thanks to Marc for the impromptu photo. I don't really know how to, uh, process a shot like this so I didn't. But it portrays the day pretty well. lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2009
    Did my gut really look like that?!

Great meeting you all and look forward to the next time I can break away. looking through the weekend's spoils, I'm reminded how much we did in a single weekend. Fantastic! That was soooo worth it.

Thank you Marc! Pics to come.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited April 21, 2009
    I had a great time. Just what I needed too thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    THE WEATHER WAS AND STILL IS AMAZINGwings.gif

It was a great pleasure seeing those I know and meeting those of you I have just come to know. Here are a few fun shots from a great weekend.

517707220_DLBCy-M.jpg

517707194_VwYxh-M.jpg

517707050_pwptR-M.jpg
    Like father like son:D

517707025_mWmvM-M.jpg

517707075_5bhkn-M.jpg

517706950_PsJJg-M.jpg

517706986_YxsR6-M.jpg

It was 95 degrees yesterday might just have to go surfing mwink.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited April 21, 2009

It was 95 degrees yesterday might just have to go surfing mwink.gif
    Dude. It was 75*F at 4AM in Gaviota yesterday clap.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2009
    I've updated the first post in this thread to link to the follow-up critiques that Marc will be providing.

Also, we'll be updating that first post with links to related threads. First up is Ian's post of his images from the workshop! thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    Also, we'll be updating that first post with links to related threads. First up is Ian's post of his images from the workshop! thumb.gif

David, mine's here: SBSF—Pindy

518279398_HuZYh-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    David, mine's here: SBSF—Pindy

518279398_HuZYh-M.jpg

Send me that file, would ya? Or a link to it so I can order it? thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    Send me that file, would ya? Or a link to it so I can order it? thumb.gif

Pindy, that pic is a GINORMOUS hit with friends and family. "Tell that guy it's a great pic." deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2009
    Aww man, that made my day! You can thank the sun, which deserves a good deal of the credit. It makes us look like we might have a clue.
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    469327416_rsr4w-M.jpg

[imgl]http://smugmug.com/photos/470895164_AB9PR-M.jpg[/imgl]
    Muench Workshops is holding a workshop for all you Weekend Warriors.

This one starts Friday night and ends Sunday night, April 17-19, 2009. Marc will be taking you around his home turf (his life-long hometown) and helping you to push your landscape photography to the next level. It's spring, so we'll be concentrating on flowers!

More info here.

And of course you can ask any questions you have, right here in this thread!
    thumb.gif

NEW
    The workshop continues as the participants are submitting up to 5 of their images for critique and conversation with Marc. That thread is here.

We'll be collecting any other threads that people start to post their images from the workshop, below:
    Nice dramatic compositions.
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2009
    Tee Why wrote:
    Nice dramatic compositions.

That's why Marc is THE BOY!
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    That's why Marc is THE BOY!

He does appear to get younger every time I see him lol3.gif

Here's a group shot, my version:

519946602_T2gkm-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2009
    In a band setting, if Ian were in front of us, he'd be the Lead Singer rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    In a band setting, if Ian were in front of us, he'd be the Lead Singer rolleyes1.gif

lol3.gif So what does that make Val?
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    lol3.gif So what does that make Val?

Ringo! (desperately surfing for Beatles photo I have in mind)
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2009
    Shooting the sunrise, you can see Marc's secret -- he moves fast! :D

520865983_2MnXg-XL.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus