Options

intentional sun flares in photos

QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
edited April 23, 2009 in Technique
I like them. I think when done right they can add a a lot drama to a shot. I am not too sure on how it is done though. In this thread please post a intentional sun flare shot and explain how the shot was acheived. I would love to learn...thanks:thumb
D700, D600
14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
85 and 50 1.4
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,854 moderator
    edited April 20, 2009
    IMO the most appropriate use of intentional flare is something our Andy describes as the "Muench Star":

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=64419
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 20, 2009
    Shoot into the sun. Look around for flare.

Some lenses are more prone than others, zooms, cheaper lenses, no lens hoods.

You see them used some in movies, a bit.

I am not a big fan of them in still photos, but they can work sometimes.

Muench stars, however, ARE very cool though.iloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif

f ~11 1/320th ISO 100 Zeiss 21mm
    401088866_wbbcP-L.jpg

f16 1/125th ISO 100 24mm
    416648056_HhBeF-L.jpg

f ~16 1/60th ISO 100 21 mm Zeiss
    401093315_8kMvw-L.jpg

f 22 6 seconds 24mm T&S
    308506276_jSy3N-L.jpg

Too many though and they can seem over done

:hide

I have added the Exif data so folks will know you CAN usually do these hand held. The apertures for the Zeiss lens are not recorded in the Exif data as it is entirely a mechanical device and does not transmit information to the camera - it is a strictly manual lens, but the apertures are typical. I almost always just shoot it at f8, unless shooting sunstars.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2009
    Depending on the shot, it certainly can add a cool effect.

454937298_fSvRu-M-3.jpg

454937289_XPtRw-M-2.jpg

329021503_6VEbZ-M-11.jpg
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    IMO the most appropriate use of intentional flare is something our Andy describes as the "Muench Star":

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=64419

ahh..okay so f22 it is.. but I do see shots of flaring with people in the shots in engagement or lieftyle sessions. Maybe not falring completly but with the sun washing out parts of the picture. It seems to me you can't use f22 in those kinds of shots because the exposure would be too long (people move unlike scenery). Shorten the exposure then you the subjects get to dark..so ...fill flash?

I want to post examples but dgrin forums doesn't really allow posting others shots.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    I want to post examples but dgrin forums doesn't really allow posting others shots.

You can still link to the pages where you find such examples. Just don't post the actual photo.
    //Leah
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 21, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    ahh..okay so f22 it is.. but I do see shots of flaring with people in the shots in engagement or lieftyle sessions. Maybe not falring completly but with the sun washing out parts of the picture. It seems to me you can't use f22 in those kinds of shots because the exposure would be too long (people move unlike scenery). Shorten the exposure then you the subjects get to dark..so ...fill flash?

Qarik,
    I have edited my post up above to include the exif data, so that you can see that most of them are actually done handheld.

I have captured sun stars at f8 with a point and shoot. f8 is usually the smallest aperture available on smaller sensor cameras due to diffraction limitations

Canon G9 ISO 80 f8 1/320th
    252958447_LpABQ-L.jpg

40D f14 1/100th ISO 100 16mm
    263475600_tjUBv-XL.jpg

Prime lenses tend to give much cleaner sharper stars, while complex zooms give less sharply defined blunter stars generally.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    I like them. I think when done right they can add a a lot drama to a shot. I am not too sure on how it is done though. In this thread please post a intentional sun flare shot and explain how the shot was acheived. I would love to learn...thanksthumb.gif

Qarik,
    Take a look at some of Tee Why's threads, he generally has one or two shots with flares in them in each series he posts, here's a new one I just saw a couple minutes ago
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=128094

I've had some limited success with Muench Stars, this is probably my best example though I've got one from a recent outing tagged for processing
    498493992_WRQEJ-L-1.jpg
    This one was taken with my 70-300mm Tamron at 70mm, f32 ISO 100, but it was pretty much midday so I still got a 1/160 of a second exposure so it was hand held.

I've noticed the most flaring (almost always accidental rolleyes1.gif ) when the sun is just partially in the frame, say a tiny sliver in one of the upper corner. Though I would venture a guess that getting a flare on purpose would be about the same as a Muench Star, just don't close your aperture down so far. I'm guessing that because of some of Tee Why's shots, so take a look and see how he's composed the ones with flares!

Hope that helps! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    Those types of portraits are simply done by including the sun in the background. With the aperture opened up.....such as you would for a portrait....you will get the big disk shapes instead of the star.

Ive always wondered...worried....that this could somehow be detrimental to the sensor?

You can use flash for the effect as well...

507582488_s6pLM-S-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2009
    catspaw wrote:
    You can still link to the pages where you find such examples. Just don't post the actual photo.
    okay..so shot number 20 in this set.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=119430

heh..maybe I should just PM mr fury.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    so you are looking for specifically flare not stars...
    look up Tee-Why users id and read his "threads started"...i think he has awesome work in every thread with lots of flare. he is the master.
    anyway some disney hall shots come to my mind but im not sure where they are...

btw, for the best flare i think you are looking at f-stops around f4...but verify with tee-why

#4 is missing...that was the one i thought of to show you....
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=112109

but here it is on his site:
    http://tomyi.smugmug.com/photos/507254469_YB8xq-L.jpg
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    52537890.jpg

A very goofy shot where the sunflare is unfortunately located so it looks like I just ripped one! :D

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    Just go outside and find a tree or something to focus on and position yourself so that the sun is in the frame. Now just take a bunch of photos with different apertures (though you're going to get what you're looking for at the larger end of things... small apertures will get you the stars) and exposures to find out what works well with each of your lenses. Each lens is going to have different flare characteristics and on some lenses it will just be ugly no matter what. Experimenting is the quickest and best way to figure this out.
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    Hmmm......
    You like flares heh? I fixed that link to the liberty bell with the flare BTW. Thanks to the folks for mentioning me also.

First of all to maximize pretty flare, shoot during the golden hour when the sun is low, maximizing flare potential as you shoot into the direction of the sun. Direct isn't always the best, you may want the sun off to the side so if you get those lens reflections, it's directional and adds a sense of direction. You have to have the subject partially occlude the sun as well to get that haze/rim lighting effect.

The area lit by the sun will always be a bit over exposed, so that highlight effect will be present in the image. You don't have to stop down too much. I rarely shoot at f22. The liberty bell shot was done at f11 on a full frame camera, so not that stopped down, about medium I'd say. It's is however hard to get a good flare with a lens wide open, especially if it's a fast lens. On a full frame anywhere about f8-18 should be fine. If you shoot at wide apertures, there are no rays that come out of the light, the light will look more like a big ball/blob.

If you are shooting into the sun, there usually is enough light so getting a fast shutter speed is not a big deal.

I don't do a lot of portraits so this is close to it as I tend to get.
    442803410_NAdbK-L.jpg

Also, aperture blades count. If you have a 9 blade lens, then you can get an 18 pointed star. If you have less, then the flare/burst pattern is like six coming out in often an uneven pattern. So pick a lens that has 9 blades if you can. Not sure if rounded aperture blades make a difference though.

Lastly, at least for Canon's shooting into the sun will generally cause overexposure (I use center weighted) so if you aren't shooting manually, turn the EVC down to about -1.5 or so.

Shoot a lot during the golden hours, chimp and experiment. Try to include the sun/flare into the composition. A flare that isn't incorporated into the image to show a sense of depth or induce dynamic lighting may end up distracting the image.

I don't think shooting into the sun briefly hurts the camera. Remember, I said briefly.

Good luck.