Options

Sydney Opera House - passing the time

CloudnineCloudnine Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited April 23, 2009 in Landscapes
I'm based in Melbourne, but my girlfriend is working at the Opera House at the moment, so I've had alot time to kill around Circular Quay lately. I know it's been done to death, but I thought I'd give our old house a lash.
Have only just discovered HDR as well, so these are some early attempts, but haven't used the details enhancer in an effort to preserve some reality

507827917_8nRpr-L.jpg

507829282_vMsmv-L.jpg

513487363_GZNgt-L.jpg

And the other icon..........who do I feel dirty. I promise you I do try and shoot something original when I have the chance.

507831530_R6x2j-L.jpg

508158868_CShin-L.jpg

468467565_z9jfx-L.jpg

This last one is just a single exposure, taken on a previous trip at Milsons Point - it also has a heaps of noise in it as a jpeg - nasty.
ISO 125 / f9 / 30 sec exp
This post was created to the music of the Drive By Truckers

Comments

• Options
    edited April 21, 2009
    Sorry - and my site

www.cloudninephotography.com.au
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2009
    Hi and welcome to Dgrin!

I love this series. You bent the bridge to your best advantage, sorry about the pun. But it's true, and you have a great eye and wonderful use of the light. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Hi and welcome to Dgrin!

I love this series. You bent the bridge to your best advantage, sorry about the pun. But it's true, and you have a great eye and wonderful use of the light. thumb.gif

I just appreciate you replying - let alone posting anything complimentary - many thanks.
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    Thanks for these. I'm a Sydney native. In a comment I made to another poster about his photos of Darling Harbour, Sydney is a unique photographic subject. No other place in the world is like it, the light, the atmosphere, the location, the architectural mix, the variety of interest, the intensity and liveliness. For this reason it cannot be photographed like any other place. I see in your shots, as with his, a (somewhat subconscious, unexplored) response to Sydney's uniqueness. Anyone who sees these will recognise this uniqueness, even though, I think, you haven't really gone hunting it to anywhere near the extent it is challenging you to.

Your 5th shot, of the bridge, captures its wonderful 1920s-30s style.

Some facts about the bridge:

it's 75yr old, the 4th longest but the widest and the most massive single arch steel bridge in the world

Length of arch span 503 metres (1650 feet)
    Height of top of arch 134 metres (440 feet) above mean sea level
    Height to top of aircraft beacon 141 metres (463 feet) above mean sea level
    Width of deck 49 metres (161 feet)
    Clearance for Shipping 49 metres
    Height of Pylons 89 metre (292 feet) above mean sea level
    Base of each abutment tower 68 metres across and 48 metres long (two pylons rest on each abutment tower)
    Total length of bridge 1149 metres (3770 feet) including approach spans
    Bearing Pins, each of the four pins measures 4.2 metres long and 368 millimetres in diameter
    Thrust on bearings, under maximum load approximately 20,000 tonnes on each bearing
    Number of rivets Approximately 6,000,000
    Largest rivet weighed 3.5 kilograms and was 395 millimetres long
    Longest Hanger 58.8 metres Shortest Hanger 7.3 metres
    Total weight of steelwork 52,800 tonnes (57,200 tons) including arch and mild steel approach spans
    Weight of arch 39,000 tonnes (43,000 tons)
    Rock excavated for foundations 122,000 cubic metres
    Concrete used for bridge 95,000 cubic metres
    Granite facing used on pylons & piers 17,000 cubic metres
    Allowance for deck expansion 420 millimetres Allowance for arch expansion, the arch may rise or fall 18 centimetres due to heating or cooling
    Number of panels in arch 28, each 18.28 metres wide
    Record tonnage erected 589 tonnes of steelwork was erected on the arch in one day on 26 November 1929
    Paint required 272,000 litres of paint were required to give the Bridge its initial three coats.
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    frgfrg Registered Users Posts: 583 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    Very niceclap.gif love the way youve captured the lights in the last one