Options

Railroad tracks, Old buildings, Mud, Water and Wellies

aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
edited April 26, 2009 in Journeys
I always heard stories about Drawbridge and seen posts about them dgrin, but some reason, I never made it out there even though I was schedule to go in the past. I truly believe that it was predetermined that my first visit would be with this fabulous small group of individuals. And they are a pretty special group of photographers too! :smo

1. The motley crew – Schmoo, zweiblumen, dadwtwins. A girl can’t ask for better company :D
511249283_s6k5C-M.jpg

Drawbridge is an abandoned town outside of Alivso, Ca that is slowly sinking into the salt flats/marsh land of the San Francisco Bay. During its peak in the 1920s, the town consisted of over 90 homes and two hotels with trains stopping five days a day. In 1979, the last remaining residents left the small leaving behind the shell of the city. It’s only accessible by walking the active railroad tracks and is a few miles from the closet town of Alivos, CA.

2. Active train tracks, but we were lucky and only encountered a few of them.
511647505_BY3UP-M.jpg

3. Between the railroad tracks and the buildings, we had to conquer the watery/muddy ditches. I was nearly positive that I would fall in since I usually do. I’m proud to say that I stayed mostly dry! :clap
511248763_W66wF-M.jpg

4. I really expect to see more structure and interesting things, but instead, saw the earth eating the remains of buildings
511422434_FoVWZ-M.jpg

5. Glass Window No More
511349472_4HMLp-M.jpg

6. Some people see drawbridge every day while riding the commuter trains, but their glimpses of the city are only gone in mere seconds.
511427783_BzLZa-M.jpg

7. Reclamation by the Earth
511328990_xyrBt-M.jpg

8.What’s left behind – rotting wood, dry grass + marshland
511364186_mqTBZ-L.jpg

I have this thing for shoes. :lust Actually, I like a lot of things, but I *really* like shoes and when I heard that Schmoo was wearing willies, I couldn’t stop thinking about a “Wellies in the Wild” series. I trekked to drawbridge over an active train tracks to take photos of shoes… I think I might need help. :wink

9. Wellies + Cameras: what else does a girl need? NOTHING!
511249168_r59du-M.jpg

10. Peaceful: The shoes didn’t know what was coming – Over five miles of rocks, tracks and mud.
511249259_4Afww-M.jpg

11. Survived the Climb over the Muddy Ditch – barely.
511342747_yJRtu-M.jpg

12. Caked with mud
511645232_PiNqh-M.jpg

13.Tired Wellies
511456365_fKuxz-M.jpg

The light was harsh, the railroad tracks long, and we were nearly beaten by the mud and sun, but I couldn’t ask for anything from the peeps that went with me.

Comments

• Options
    tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    I am so glad you reached Drawbridge this time. wings.gif I recognize the wooden beam in shot #3, I also walked on that slippery beam to go across the muddy creek. Almost dived into the mud...
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    I think wellington needs to hire you for their next ad campaignclap.gif

Great job April
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    Seems like you really enjoyed a lot ! great set of photos
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    You know I love that antiqued shot of the house! Your processing totally brought the right mood in to the subject matter with less than perfect lighting conditions.

And I too love your Wellies series. I'm so glad you got a chance to do something with shoes on the trip! lol3.gif
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    Really Cool Schmoo
    Lovely series schmoo. Really looks like you guys had a blast. Next time my wife and I are in the Bay Area, we will have to look you guys up and do some shooting!! BTW, we're not creepy interweb people. rolleyes1.gif
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    Lovely series schmoo. Really looks like you guys had a blast. Next time my wife and I are in the Bay Area, we will have to look you guys up and do some shooting!! BTW, we're not creepy interweb people. rolleyes1.gif

This thread is all April's work, but if I'm invited I'd love to meet up and go shooting, too. Bay Area Dgrinners FTW! lol3.gif
  • Options
    a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2009
    Great post and photos. Drawbridge is on my list of places to visit.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 19, 2009
    Very nice series, April.

I loved the train and the rail shots the most.

Wellies are always useful too.thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    Not a bad series for a hockey photographer. :D

I really like #2, #5 and #6. Nice job April!! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2009
    tisun wrote:
    I am so glad you reached Drawbridge this time. wings.gif I recognize the wooden beam in shot #3, I also walked on that slippery beam to go across the muddy creek. Almost dived into the mud...
    I think I know why the graffiti wasn't as "fresh" as I expected. The planks are muddy, wet and the ditches are filled with water! I'm just happy that I didn't fall in!
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2009
    dadwtwins wrote:
    I think wellington needs to hire you for their next ad campaignclap.gif

Great job April
    What can I say? I love shoes! :D And Schmoo makes a great shoe model. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    You know I love that antiqued shot of the house! Your processing totally brought the right mood in to the subject matter with less than perfect lighting conditions.

And I too love your Wellies series. I'm so glad you got a chance to do something with shoes on the trip! lol3.gif
    I'm just happy that I was able to go out with you! We must do it again soon! I just wished the light was more favorable....
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2009
    If you ever in the bay area again, let me know and we'll go out and hunt the light. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2009
    a110p0 wrote:
    Great post and photos. Drawbridge is on my list of places to visit.
    And you should visit it! I can imagine you doing some long exposure night shots from here...
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    I loved the train and the rail shots the most.

Wellies are always useful too.thumb.gif
    :D THanks!

And the question is -- when are you coming out here? I have LOTS of places to show you!
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2009
    grimace wrote:
    Not a bad series for a hockey photographer. :D

I really like #2, #5 and #6. Nice job April!! clap.gif
    I do try my best :D

However, sports, and especially hockey, is really my comfort zone. My landscape skills is directly result of my dgrin family like yourself. Thanks!
  • Options
    mandamanda Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    it was worth the effort
  • Options
    Every Miles A MemoryEvery Miles A Memory Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    Looks like you all had a fun day! I've added this to my list of Ghost Towns to visit next time we're in Cali
    Pat Bonish
    www.everymilesamemory.com
    www.patbonishphotography.com

All Who Wander Are Not Lost