Acadia HDR

boblu262boblu262 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
edited April 26, 2009 in Landscapes
Its been a while since I've posted but its good to be back!
I've been going through some old images to try to get more out of them.

Here are a couple from Acadia National Park last year. I'd love some C&C.

520597476_rHFQv-L.jpg

520581196_FNBYb-L.jpg

520594553_yqa7z-L.jpg

520650217_i7mm4-L.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Comments

• pardespardes Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    These are the first HDR photos that I've seen that I really really liked. I'm new to the concept and probably all but advanced amateurs and pros can appreciate the technical end of thing and comment on that. But on the non-technical end, anyone would be intrigued and wonder about the technique and medium.
    "A photograph is a secret about a secret." Diane Arbus
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    I like these too. I've tried doing HDR and never seem to get it right :cry
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    I like the first one but the others have too much of that HDR-ish fake look. It can be pretty tough getting them to look natural but I'm sure it can be done with these.
  • boblu262boblu262 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    I like the first one but the others have too much of that HDR-ish fake look. It can be pretty tough getting them to look natural but I'm sure it can be done with these.

Thanks ... i agree that some are a bit harsh.
    I re-processed an alternate version of the last image:
    521234801_TDRnW-L.jpg
  • AngryRedAngryRed Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    I like 1 and 2 personally the most. The highlights in 3 seem a bit harsh. I actually like the soft, almost painted look of the HDR technique you used. Can you provide any technical details?
    Love this place, but I am an ADV rider too!
    F800GS
  • boblu262boblu262 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    AngryRed wrote:
    I like 1 and 2 personally the most. The highlights in 3 seem a bit harsh. I actually like the soft, almost painted look of the HDR technique you used. Can you provide any technical details?

Thanks, I'm still learning myself. By way of advice, all I can say is trial and error. I use Photomatix for HDR and find it hard to resist the urge to use all of the sliders. Sometime it seems like a slight shift of a slider has a huge impact on the image. Sometimes it seems just the opposite is true.

I also just started using a Noise Reduction plugin from Imagenomic that far outshines Photoshop's reduction filter (http://www.imagenomic.com/nwpg.aspx). On that page its the $69 plugin.

Good luck!