Options

Finally - Soccer Is Back!

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited May 22, 2005 in Sports
My son Andrew has been on the DL for two weeks - due to a small wrist fracture, so I havent been able to try my hand at soccer. Well he played today and I got a chance to try Sports Mode / 70-200 f 2.8. I think soccer is one of the hardest sports to photograph. The sun can be harsh at 12:00. Here are five I rushed to post before I go to the movies with him..... #8.

troy
22136915-L.jpg

22138850-L.jpg

22138034-L.jpg

22139614-L.jpg

22140646-L.jpg

Herfe is a coincidence - I call it
"4 On 4"

22149179-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2005
    Good Action Troy
    windoze wrote:
    My son Andrew has been on the DL for two weeks - due to a small wrist fracture, so I havent been able to try my hand at soccer. Well he played today and I got a chance to try Sports Mode / 70-200 f 2.8. I think soccer is one of the hardest sports to photograph. The sun can be harsh at 12:00. Here are five I rushed to post before I go to the movies with him..... #8.

troy

Herfe is a coincidence - I call it
    "4 On 4"
    Nicely done Troy, when you shoot sport do you use AV or TV mode?
    The boys look like they are really enjoying the game, and taking it seriously.
    Soccer players are quite talented with their ability to manipulate that soccer ball..... great series, Im sure your pleased with this lot.

Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    ranmacranmac Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 15, 2005
    These are great soccer pix, Troy. Great action with lots of facial expession. I too am a soccer dad with 3 kids who play. In fact the sole reason I finally purchased a digital SLR (Nikon D70) was to be able to better catch the action of kid soccer.

I normally don't use Sports Mode, however. If the lighting is adequate, I use Aperature priority (generally f5.6 or f6.3...I normally use a Nikkor 70-210, f4 with 1.4x extender) to get a nicely blurred background and watch to make sure I'm at least at a shutter speed of 1/400 to decently stop the action (just a little blurr of the ball and extremities).

Skippy wrote:
    Soccer players are quite talented with their ability to manipulate that soccer ball..... great series, Im sure your pleased with this lot.

Skippy (Australia)
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2005
    Thanx Skippy, I believe the way to go is "sports mode". It takes a lot of practice and knowing the game.... knowing where to stand and what to expect..... thanx for looking!!!!

troy
    Skippy wrote:

Skippy (Australia)
  • Options
    leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2005
    Wonderful work! You've come a long way.

Lee
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2005
    Thanx Lee,
    You already know that Ive learned a lot from your posts - so THANX!!!!!

troy
    leebase wrote:
    Wonderful work! You've come a long way.

Lee
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 17, 2005
    Love 'em Troy thumb.gifthumb.gif

Sharp, plenty of action, lots of faces and great color clap.gif I like the 4th one where both players have their legs raised.

Good work on these :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2005
    thanx Steve, I really appreciate your time to comment!!!

TROY
    Love 'em Troy thumb.gifthumb.gif

Sharp, plenty of action, lots of faces and great color clap.gif I like the 4th one where both players have their legs raised.

Good work on these :D

Steve
  • Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    The first and last one are great.
    I love the first one, you got a great moment in the action, nice forward facing action, great facial expersion, and I like the postion of his foot on the ball (having shot soccer I can appreciate how hard that kind of shot it is) and #8 is nicely in focus, with the players in the background out of focus. The only thing I would do if it was me, is I would crop it tighter.

The last photo 4 & 4 is just humorous, I love it.

I also like the one of the blue player, looks like trying to kick it up, as your son comes in, but I would almost just crop that one as a single, (sorry means cutting out your son) Great action on that player, with the ball, the other players dont really add much.

Over all great color and exposure. One of the hardest things to remeber when your shooting sports is think of faces, you instictly just follow the game and snap, and you end up getting alot of backsides, not something you mind when youare watching the game, but when youare trying to capture the action in a single image, the backside just doenst do it.

Most of your photos have faces, and the action heading towards you, which in turns draws the viewer in.......so good job outta you. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2005
    thank you very much for the detailed comments - they are extremely informative and I do take what i learn seriously. it is very much appreciated! I dont take shots to make money, i do it coz it involves me in the game more and betters my relationship with my son. so your words are as good as gold to me... thanx again!

troy
    winger wrote:
    The first and last one are great.
    I love the first one, you got a great moment in the action, nice forward facing action, great facial expersion, and I like the postion of his foot on the ball (having shot soccer I can appreciate how hard that kind of shot it is) and #8 is nicely in focus, with the players in the background out of focus. The only thing I would do if it was me, is I would crop it tighter.

The last photo 4 & 4 is just humorous, I love it.

I also like the one of the blue player, looks like trying to kick it up, as your son comes in, but I would almost just crop that one as a single, (sorry means cutting out your son) Great action on that player, with the ball, the other players dont really add much.

Over all great color and exposure. One of the hardest things to remeber when your shooting sports is think of faces, you instictly just follow the game and snap, and you end up getting alot of backsides, not something you mind when youare watching the game, but when youare trying to capture the action in a single image, the backside just doenst do it.

Most of your photos have faces, and the action heading towards you, which in turns draws the viewer in.......so good job outta you. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2005
    i used to use Av mode exclusively, but am getting more "keeper" when i use the sports mode. thanx for the nice words!

troy
    ranmac wrote:
    These are great soccer pix, Troy. Great action with lots of facial expession. I too am a soccer dad with 3 kids who play. In fact the sole reason I finally purchased a digital SLR (Nikon D70) was to be able to better catch the action of kid soccer.

I normally don't use Sports Mode, however. If the lighting is adequate, I use Aperature priority (generally f5.6 or f6.3...I normally use a Nikkor 70-210, f4 with 1.4x extender) to get a nicely blurred background and watch to make sure I'm at least at a shutter speed of 1/400 to decently stop the action (just a little blurr of the ball and extremities).