Options

Easiest way to cut

fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited January 18, 2004 in Finishing School
I'm trying to cut a piece of one image and paste it over into another image, but due to the irregular shape of the image, it's very tedious with the lasso tools. Any recommendations on a faster/easier way to do this? (think flower with many petals).

TIA
"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2004
    I was about to suggest the Photoshop CS extract tool... but yer working with Elements, right? How about playing with a quick mask? Not really quick, but quite precise if you work it, I believe.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I was about to suggest the Photoshop CS extract tool... but yer working with Elements, right? How about playing with a quick mask? Not really quick, but quite precise if you work it, I believe.
    Yes, Elements.

A mask channel created in Quick Mask mode in Photoshop. Photoshop Elements has no Quick Mask mode and flattens all channels in Photoshop images.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited January 15, 2004
    fish wrote:
    I'm trying to cut a piece of one image and paste it over into another image, but due to the irregular shape of the image, it's very tedious with the lasso tools. Any recommendations on a faster/easier way to do this? (think flower with many petals).

TIA
    Fish - Have you tried the selection brush in Elements? See p 112 in Scott Kelby's Photoshop Elements dor Digital Photographers. Another choice in Elements is the magic wand tool that selects things by their colors - then you can add and subtract selections by using the shift and alt keys as you select.

Pathfinder
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Fish - Have you tried the selection brush in Elements? See p 112 in Scott Kelby's Photoshop Elements dor Digital Photographers. Another choice in Elements is the magic wand tool that selects things by their colors - then you can add and subtract selections by using the shift and alt keys as you select.

Pathfinder

Pathfinder...that's IT! thankyouthankyouthankyou! I knew there must be a better way. thumb.gif
  • Options
    gopher78gopher78 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2004
    Fish--perfect question. Pathfinder--thanks. Now even a more basic question. How do I move the copied sections to a whole new picture. I tried something as basic as trying to copy a fixture in a picture and can't even seem to move it on the same picture let alone another picture. I must be brain fried today. thanks for any help
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2004
    gopher78 wrote:
    Fish--perfect question. Pathfinder--thanks. Now even a more basic question. How do I move the copied sections to a whole new picture. I tried something as basic as trying to copy a fixture in a picture and can't even seem to move it on the same picture let alone another picture. I must be brain fried today. thanks for any help

In Photoshop you should be able to use the move tool and drag it to the other image or move the selection within the current image. I think you can also cut and paste. In PS it will take the selection moved to a new image and put it on its own layer.