Options

Please help me with baseball pics! ack!

KixxKixx Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
edited May 3, 2009 in Sports
(Sorry if this should be in "Technique", if so, please feel free to move it.)

Can someone please look at the first 10 pics on my photostream on my flickr account. (I am too embarrassed to post the pics on my smugmug!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kixxphotography/

Going down the left side of the page is the original shot, beside each is the (semi)edited shot.

The shots were taken at dusk, and all the EXIF data is available on the pics.

If there is anybody who could assist me, I would appreciate it muchly!

I basically would like to know...

1. Are there settings I can use with my current equipment that would allow me to get better shots at dusk (and under the lights)?

2. On pic "201arrows" there is a line running down the left hand side of the pics, is my camera broken? Or, is that "noise" that I've heard about?

3. If I took advantage of the current (still ongoing, I think) BestBuy sale that has D200s for $599, would that help me in this situation, or, is this more of an 'operator issue'?

Thanks in advance! :D

Comments

• Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    D200 won't help much - it has very poor high ISO performance.
    What you really need is ISO 3200 and an f2.8 lens. Your current lens is only capable of f5.6. Your first shot was 1/30 at ISO 400 and 3 stops underexposed. The one thing you can do is set your ISO to it's max value (I cant remember if its 1600 or 3200 on the d40).

Still, it's an exercise in frustration. My advice is to concentrate on taking shots when lighting is good. Even with the best equipment, shooting baseball under the lights can be frustrating because the fields just aren't lit as well as say football.
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    2. On pic "201arrows" there is a line running down the left hand side of the pics, is my camera broken? Or, is that "noise" that I've heard about?

To answer your question about the line on the left side of your photo it is not noise. Noise will show up in your photo all over not in just one spot.
    An example of noise is kinda like what you see if you have taken shots when it was raining or snowing. You will see spots all over the photo and it will not have a sharp focus spot anywhere.
    Low light shots are the hardest to take with any camera.
    Photo #82 on your flicker site looks like it has noise but since flicker does not let you the show large or original files it is hard to tell.
    When you will see noise in a photo the worst if you view the orginal large file. The larger the file the more detail you will see so, if it is not a sharp focus you will see it easy when you view the large file.
    As far as I could tell your photos on flicker look good for low light shots.

Take Care,
    Charles

Good Luck,
    Charles
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    It's funny how perspectives change regarding ISO and noise. When the D200 came out it was considered very good at ISO 1600. Today the D700 does a better job at ISO 6400.

I'd go as far as ISO 1600 and use noise reduction software to combat that problem. There are some excellent options from free to $30. You'll need a faster lens. Your first step should probably be a 70-200 f2.8. If the price tag is too steep, look at an 80-200 f2.8 (non VR from Nikon)
    Kixx wrote:

Can someone please look at the first 10 pics on my photostream on my flickr account. (I am too embarrassed to post the pics on my smugmug!)

Going down the left side of the page is the original shot, beside each is the (semi)edited shot.

1. Are there settings I can use with my current equipment that would allow me to get better shots at dusk (and under the lights)?

3. If I took advantage of the current (still ongoing, I think) BestBuy sale that has D200s for $599, would that help me in this situation, or, is this more of an 'operator issue'?

Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    donek wrote:
    You'll need a faster lens. Your first step should probably be a 70-200 f2.8. If the price tag is too steep, look at an 80-200 f2.8 (non VR from Nikon)

I've just started shooting softball and the biggest difference maker for me is the lens. I drool over The 70-200 f2.8 but could not justify the $$$ for it. I ended up buying a used 80-200 f2.8 that I love. This can be had for $800-900 (non AFS) used if you shop well. There are a lot of variants of the non AFS (push-pull, two-ring). My research said that the push-pull versions were slower focusing so I got a two-ring version.

As others have said, they are underexposed and when you try fix this in post, you just bring out all of the noise.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    Kixx wrote:

I just shot a Minor League baseball game the other night, the D200 will not help. I used the 70-200 f/2.8 lens and you can see the pictures here - http://flickr.com/photos/emack

I'll be looking for a D300 soon
  • Options
    KixxKixx Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    You guys are great!

Thank you all sooooo much for all the info!

I think I'll wait until after I shoot a few day games to get dejected! :D