Options

Sigma Lens Repair Question

mud390mud390 Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
edited May 2, 2009 in Cameras
I bought a used Sigma 28-105 F2.8-4 Nikon mount AFD lens for $100 with a known problem. The good: The lens will focus, aperture is snappy, takes great pictures. The bad: The zoom is sticky around 70mm, the actual zoom (moving portion of lens...sorry for bad terminology) slides in and out freely causing the lens to creep with trying to focus, and there is a rattle like a small piece of plastic rolling around inside the lens. The local camera shop quoted me $180 for repair and full cleaning, essentially refurbishing the lens. I can't seem to find the lens new anywhere, but used its going for this price. Should I go with the repair or just get my lens back and use it until it breaks, or ??? I called Sigma and they wouldn't quote me a price over the phone, not even an astronomical ball park figure. How is their pricing/service/turn around? Help!!! Thanks!

Kris

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited May 1, 2009
    For a zoom that was just announced in late 2005, the lens appears to have faded quickly.

It was not a terribly expensive lens to begin with so I don't think I would put much more into it. My recommendation would be to purchase a different lens and abandon the Sigma 28-105mm, f2.8-f4.

I just checked KEH and they have a Tamron 28-105mm, f2.8 in "bargain" condition for $275. That's a much better lens, IMO, and that's probably a safe bet for your money.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2009
    I didn't think it would be wise to put more money into this lens. It does still work, on some level. At least the pictures are crisp, so long as I have time to mess with the lens to get the focal length just right. Oh well. I guess I'll spend my money elsewhere. Its a shame really. Kind of feel cheated. When something is too good to be true.....

Thanks! Kris
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    Give this company a try.....PHO-TECH .... It is in the little town of Hesston Ks and i have had them clean and service my Sigma 70-210 APO f2.8 and was very pleased with service and cost.........but again .... you gave $100 for your lens and if you "discard" and rebuy then you need to add the $100 into the next lens....but if you can refurb this lens i9t actually saves you money.....because then it should be in LIKE NEW condition.......
    Of course I am a Sigma Lens Shooter and have been for over 25+ years and I have never had a bad lens from them, not saying they are not out there ..... there are bad copies everythnig (cameras, lenses, battery grips etc, etc, etc,) floating around out there........
    so if you repair it and then you have $280 invested....if you "discard" and buy another used for $275 (which might have issues also) you actually have $375 invested until you can sell the Sigma....then would you tell the next buyer of its' deficiencies......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited May 1, 2009
    Art,

I see where you are coming from. The lens takes fantastic photos. Clear, crisp, bright, etc. Never seeeing the inside of the lens, my gut tells me a stop of sort is broken, and probably something else that sits in that stop. I wouldn't sell the lens without fully disclosing its history. The seller I bought it from was very up front as well. I knew what I was getting into. A refurbed lens is tempting. The shop I went through usually charges $70-ish to do a full cleaning, no parts. So I'm assuming that the lens needs about $50 in parts and the rest being labor?! I haven't totally written it off yet, I just wasn't prepared for the $180 repair price. Ouch!

Kris
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2009
    Update
    I talked with my local shop today and they told me exactly what was wrong. The inner focus had a piece broken off (as I suspected) and is not repairable, but it is replaceable. The outer focus needs a pin, which is repairable, and there was one other small thing that eludes me at the moment. All said and done, those three parts, complete cleaning, and recalibrating the lens, with tax came to $205. I bit the bullet and paid up. I'm sure I could find a copy of this lens used for cheaper, but the way I see, I'll have a "new" lens when I get get it back. I'll let everyone know how it goes when I receive the lens in, "5 to 6 weeks."

Kris