Options

volunteer project

krazyglookrazygloo Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited May 5, 2009 in People
For the first time I am focusing on people... *shutter* as I normally do landscape, architecture etc. I volunteered for a project that involves 20 volunteer workers, They are putting together a booklet with photos to help convey their work. Some of the concepts are hard to come up with as some people are admin workers. Can't show them behind a desk eh? The first one I have done involves a woman who is deaf, and has the muscles in the right side of her face unable to move. She can't even smile. She helps with admin for a hearing dog place. So I asked her to bring her dog down to the beach for some more intersting shots. Anyway, check out the photos and I would just like any thoughts on whether you would look through a booklet of volunteers and be excited about doing a volunteer job by looking at their photos.

http://www.floralloyd.com/gallery/8023446_tRKE2/1/521974894_iBLdE

The second one is a "meals on wheels" driver so, this was hard too.. she moved really fast! had to turn the ISO up!

http://www.floralloyd.com/gallery/8023783_MEzrd/1/524802143_Uo9PY

Thank you for any comments

Comments

• Options
    pardespardes Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    I like photo 050 for the hearing dog and #3 for the Meals on Wheels.

There is a good connection between the client and the lady; however I'd advise showing another pose inside the house otherwise it looks more like a pizza delivery.

From what I know of Meals on Wheels, they often go inside the house and help the client set up the meal. That may not always be the case but more involvement would probably be better.

I would advise one other shot of the hearing dog in action as well. The quiet pose together is very nice but you are trying to advertise the invaluable use of hearing dogs.

It's GREAT that you are volunteering for this much needed talent that these agencies don't have the time or staff or talent to cover.
    "A photograph is a secret about a secret." Diane Arbus
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2009
    Yes, I was actually looking for more involvement inside the house, however, it never presented itself.

The hearing dog photo was just more of a casual set trying to state "I help the hearing dogs" not "i train the hearing dogs" as she does admin work for the society. Would you play this another angle? I found it quite difficult to come up with something that wouldn't missrepresent what she does.

Gurr, lots to learn i'm thinking..
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    I get what your trying to do. Don't overly worry so much about the photo selling the goods..... The captions in the brochure that its in will mostly do that.

I'd go with something along the lines of 31 or 44 for the pooch series. I think whats important here is that this person is showning a connection with her trade.

Meals on Wheels: #2 because it's simple. she'll be debuded as a driver for the team and it paints the rest of the picture well because of the car framing. Perhaps see if ya can get here loading up for her route.... I wouldn't overly persue getting into a house; what's happening here is an extremely humbling experience (getting assistance feeding yourself). I wouldn't want the moment captured if it were me on the recieving end. Plus it's more hastle getting releases.

Nice effort on what you're doing. I personally aplaude your efforts. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2009
    D'Buggs

Thank you for your suggestions. I would agree with your opinon on both.

With the MOW driver, I did capture her loading up the car, but they were white foam crates, not very photogenic.
  • Options
    whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2009
    Very nice shots...I like the MOW series, as well as #62 of the pooch series. clap.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    .... Be certain that a shot of YOU makes it into this promo! :photo
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2009
    Laughing.gif, not quite, most of these people have been volunteering for 20+ years... I think I have a few to go still!
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    OK - I guess I'm a contrary mood today as my thoughts seem to be 90 degrees from most others.

The first set - I see a lady and her dog at the beach. There's very little there to connect them with volunteer work. A couple of shots show the dog's "uniform" but that would only make sense to those that have the background story.

The meals-on-wheels set - I like the third on in this set the best as it does the best job of linking your volunteer to both the food and the appreciation of the clients for the service.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    I left comments on some of the shots in the first gallery. Overall, the problem with both sets is that they don't really tell the stories. The woman and dog, I looked at them before I knew the story about her disabilities. I just didn't get that from the pictures at all. It just looked like a romp on the beach. What would have told the story? Maybe a sign? Getting into the car at the hearing dog place?

What would tell the meals on wheels story? Maybe more visits with different people?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    I left comments on some of the shots in the first gallery. Overall, the problem with both sets is that they don't really tell the stories. The woman and dog, I looked at them before I knew the story about her disabilities. I just didn't get that from the pictures at all. It just looked like a romp on the beach. What would have told the story? Maybe a sign? Getting into the car at the hearing dog place?

What would tell the meals on wheels story? Maybe more visits with different people?

Rutt, this is the problem I am having, how do I connect these people to their work without it looking posed and too clinical? Your comment about the tone of the face, I haven't done much black and white work, I'll try upping the green and repost. Thanks
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2009
    Ok changed the green,

529160538_r7Lex-M.jpg