Options

2.00GB limit in CS3

TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
edited June 25, 2009 in Finishing School
:dunno why is there a limit on saving a pano that is larger than 2GB in CS3?

it took 30 minutes to stich, all looks great and now i cant save it? UGH!..:huh

any suggestions? do i need to upgrade to CS4? or is there a way around?

do i have to down size each file before stiching... ive never downsized a file...what does that do to quality?

:help
Aaron Nelson

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
    edited May 3, 2009
    Windows 32-bit has a 2GB file size limit. Is that what you're running?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2009
    Vista 64....? time for a mac?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
    edited May 3, 2009
    Vista 64....? time for a mac?

64-bit Windows systems shouldn't have a 2GB limit, and they should be able to address more than 3GB RAM. Must be something with CS2 or a certain file type.

Someone else know any more on this?, because I'm out of ideas.

EDIT: This just in...
    In regards to CS2, any file with a picture dimension larger than 30,000 pixels on a side cannot be saved. Besides that, there is a 2GB file size limit. So there you go.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited May 3, 2009
    do i have to down size each file before stiching... ive never downsized a file...what does that do to quality?

:help
    You will lose some quality by downsizing, but how much will depend on the individual image. Seems like a pity to go to the trouble of shooting a large pano only to lose some detail when you save.

It isn't clear to me whether you have hit RAM or file size limits. Still, there are a couple of things you can try before you upgrade the OS or the app. You didn't say what format you were saving the image, but you could try using Large Document Format (PSB), which has a 300,000 pixel per dimension limit. You could also save both RAM and file size by converting the images to 8 bits.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited May 3, 2009
    David_S85 wrote:
    Windows 32-bit has a 2GB file size limit. Is that what you're running?

The 2GB limit applies to per process memory in Win32. File size is limited to 4GB in a FAT32 file system or 16 exabytes in NTFS (1EB = a sh*%load of data).
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    ne_nau.gif why is there a limit on saving a pano that is larger than 2GB in CS3?

The limitation are to TIFF-6 which has a max file size of 4 gigs/file...but it can save out images larger than the 30,000 limits of PSD files.

For larger images, the only format is PSB files that can store up to 300,000 pixels.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2009
    sorry about the details, (what was i thinking!)

triplecore, 4 GB ram, vista 64, CS3 & LR2

i was trying to save as PSD, it was 12 RAW exposures from a 5D2.
    so i guess im still not sure what i will need to do. i dont even know how to down size a image...ive never wanted to before, so i never thought to learn how...

should i downsize the files first before stiching or downsize the pano to a certin number afterward?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    Thunder RabbitThunder Rabbit Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    Howdy.
    why is there a limit on saving a pano that is larger than 2GB in CS3?
    As Andrew and others pointed out, the size limit for images in Ps CS3 is not 2GB. That is the upper limit for PSD files (30,000x30,000). If the file is larger than that, it can be saved as a PSB file, max size: 300,000x300,000. That's 77 10Mp images stitched side to side. A 7.7 Gb file if it’s just one layer. Or, 8932 10Mp images tiled and stitched together to fill the whole 300,000x300,000 grid. An 893 Gb file. Of course, this oversimplifies the case, but does serve to illustrate that PSB and Ps CS3 can handle huge images.

I’m guessing that the native Photoshop formats, PSD, etc, haven’t been upgraded because doing a retrofit on such a basic element of the pre-existing architecture would open a huge can of worms. Most software and printers commonly in use today have a file size limit of 2Gb. The number of users requiring images larger than 2Gb is significant, but very small compared to total number of users. The cost of rerigging PSD to handle very large images apparently does not justify the yield. Instead, Photoshop offers PSB format. Very large files are a specialty requirement, and PSB fulfills that requirement. Without tinkering with something that already works great for the vast majority of its users. Or sacrificing full Photoshop functionality.
    do i need to upgrade to CS4?
    All CS versions of Ps handle PSB files. PSB supports full Photoshop functionality. It’s just like a PSD, only bigger.
    it took 30 minutes to stich, all looks great and now i cant save it? UGH!.. any suggestions? or is there a way around?
    If you’re going to do a large pano, create a new document first. An easy way is to open the image you want to start with and duplicate it. Save it. The first time you save it, the Save dialog box will open. By default, the Format option selected will be PSD. Change it to PSB. Save. That’s it. All you’ll need to do now is just resize the canvas as you add images.

If you already started working on a PSD for a while then it gets too big, just use Save As to create a PSD copy. Now you can go big.
    do i have to down size each file before stiching... ive never downsized a file...what does that do to quality?”
    Do not downsize before stitching. Always edit the largest master file you have. Only downsize for specific outputs. Only downsize a copy. The optimum output format, size, and resolution will vary and will be quite specific. Sharpening requirements will vary. Web and print will require quite different outputs. And output requirements to print of course will vary because there are so many ways to print. You need to know some specific things about the specific print process in order to downsize to the optimum format, size, and resolution. But, chances are, you’ll need to output a copy with a file size of less than 2Gb. Editing the master file is one thing, but optimizing for output is a different thing, and an art & science in itself.

When it comes to master files, bigger is always better.

When it comes to output files, smaller, optimized files will usually be required, and will yield optimum results.

And don't forget to wear sunscreen.

Disclaimer: I don't consider myself a Photoshop expert. Neither should you. But I'm sure about the sunscreen.
    Peace,
    Lee

Thunder Rabbit GRFX
    www.thunderrabbitgrfx.com
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2009
    :D got the sunscreen now point me in the direction of the beach.:D

asap i will re-attempt this work!, never heard of PSB...thanks for the info, that was very nice of you and everyone to comment.

thanks All!
    bowdown.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2009
    PSB was the solution to save the big pano.
    now i have to figure out how to get it in LR2, it was late when i tryed to import and it seemed LR would not allow PSB, so maybe i will down size the image to 10,000 pixels and save as PSD so i can use LR....

but i guess it defeats the purpose of the big files to print...AHHHH... i think i will just take a brake from it for awhile.....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    Per this link:

http://blogs.oreilly.com/lightroom/2008/12/importing-photoshop-files----m.html

Make sure you have "Maximize PSD and PSB compatibility" turned on. Lightroom cannot read multi-layered Photoshop files. With "Maximize compatibility" turned on, PS saves a layered and flattened version of your file in one larger file. Multi-layer apps, like PS, open the layered one...LR will open the flattened one.

Hope that helps!
    Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8
  • Options
    Thunder RabbitThunder Rabbit Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    Howdy.
    PSB was the solution to save the big pano.
    now i have to figure out how to get it in LR2, it was late when i tryed to import and it seemed LR would not allow PSB, so maybe i will down size the image to 10,000 pixels and save as PSD so i can use LR....

but i guess it defeats the purpose of the big files to print...AHHHH... i think i will just take a brake from it for awhile.....
    Make sure you have "Maximize PSD and PSB compatibility" turned on. Lightroom cannot read multi-layered Photoshop files. With "Maximize compatibility" turned on, PS saves a layered and flattened version of your file in one larger file. Multi-layer apps, like PS, open the layered one...LR will open the flattened one.

Bandgeekndp is right, and the link he provides explains it well. But, I’m pretty sure that the default setting in Ps is for it to be on. Unless you’ve changed it, it should still be on. If you can see your PSD files in Lr, the setting is correct. But it never hurts to check.

But, you’ve got more fundamental problems than that. Near as I can tell Lr doesn’t read PSB. The Lr help files list five file formats supported by Lr. RAW (which is really a bunch of different camera formats), DNG, TIFF, JPEG, and PSD. Not PSB. I’ve only found one reference to PSB and Lr. And it’s really talking about PSD compatibility. It’s quoted below:

“Photoshop format (PSD)<o:p></o:p>
    Photoshop format (PSD) is the standard Photoshop file format. To import and work with a multi-layered PSD file in Lightroom, the file must be saved in Photoshop with the Maximize PSD and PSB File Compatibility preference turned on. You’ll find the option in the Photoshop file handling preferences. Lightroom saves PSD files with a bit depth or 8 bits or 16 bits per channel.”<o:p></o:p>

If you don’t read this carefully, it looks as though it is saying that if you have the “Maximize PSD and PSB File Compatibility” preference turned “on”, Lr will be able read both PSD and PSB files. This is not what it’s saying. Note the topic. This is about how to make PSD visible in Lr, not PSB.

And the tutorial bandgeekndb referenced about Lr and MC setting only talks about PSD. PSB is not mentioned. Having MC set to “on” will make PSD visible in Lr and some other apps and PSB visible in some other apps, but not Lr.

And then there’s this (from the same help file):

"File Format Exceptions<o:p></o:p>

Lightroom does not support the following types of files: CMYK files; PNG files; Adobe Illustrator® files; Nikon scanner NEF files; files with dimensions greater than 65,000 pixels per side or larger than 512 megapixels; video files, including video files acquired by digital still cameras. <o:p></o:p>
    "

I’ve tried everything including beating it with a stick, and I can’t get Lightroom to see a PSB file. But that is really no problem. You can open them from Bridge.

If your plan is to edit your PSB or PSD in Lr, you need a new plan. Here is an excerpt from another thread:
    <o:p> </o:p>
    “You cannot edit a PSD file in Lr. In the Lr Develop mode, you can apply them, and Lr will render them, but they are only visible in Lr. When you open the file in Ps, the edits you made in Lr will not be visible.
    Lr doesn’t do layers. Ps doesn’t do RAW. Yes, you can apply and adjust RAW settings to the PSD image in Lr, but the edits are only being recorded in the Lr catalog. PSD doesn’t do XMP files, so the data for the edits never leaves Lr. You can edit a PSD image to your heart’s content in Lr, but none of the edits you made will be there when you open it in Ps. If you think you can beat this by opting to edit a copy with Lr adjustments, yes, the new Lr edits will be there, but the layers won’t. When Lr creates a copy of a PSD with Lr adjustments, all your layers are lost. You can’t have it both ways.
    <!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]--><!--[endif]-->
    It is presumed that you don’t take the extra step of editing a RAW image in Ps until you’ve exhausted the RAW editing capabilities of Lr. Once you have created a PSD copy which inherits this optimized RAW processing, there should be no reason to go back and edit it in Lr. Furthermore, Ps can replicate or surpass any result you might think you need to go back to Lr to achieve. And finally, again, it can’t be done. Any edits made in Lr to a PSD file will be rendered in Lr, but cannot be read by PS. (That is, unless you make another copy of the PSD file with Lr edits, but, as mentioned above, you will lose your layers.)
    The above also applies to a layered TIFF. PSB isn’t even in the game.
    Once you’ve committed to a layered file, editing it in Ps is your best (and in most cases, only) bet. Going back and editing a layered file in Lr doesn’t work, unless you are content to edit a flattened copy.

But don’t be disheartened. This is by design. The boys and girls at Adobe know their business. And this is the way thousands of professionals do it.

Lr and Ps are different tools, for different jobs. Yes, they appear to be doing many of the same things, but they do them differently. They are not interchangeable. Choose the best tool for the job, and use it.

Disclaimer: I don't consider myself to be a Lr Ps expert. There may be a way to get Lr to see PSB that I don't know about.

Peace,
    Lee

Thunder Rabbit GRFX
    www.thunderrabbitgrfx.com
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2009
    ok, ready to try and tackle this issue again?
    Everyone thank you for the wonderful time and effort in helping me.
    I will try all these ideas and will post my result if i can get the process correct.thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Not sure if it helps but CS4 comes with 64-bit edition of PS, so it should handle somewhat larger files size fine on a capable OS (XP/64, Vista/64, W7/64)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2009
    thanks Nik, i hope to get to this tonight or atleast this weekend so i can continue this thread with a update.... if i cant get it working then i guess it will be upgrade time...
    Aaron Nelson