Options

want to move flash off camera

VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
edited May 3, 2009 in Technique
Ok, I am ready to do this but have no clue exactly how to do it, or what I require.
I have seen people with cameras that have a flash out to the side, that looks a bit heavy for me to manage.. is that also off camera flash?

I have Nikon D 300 and SB 800. I use as much natural lighting as possible and try to shoot outdoors 98 % of the time, I live in AZ, so that is easy. How does this work, what do I need to buy, please be specific and use simple terms ! Do I ever use my on camera flash with off camera? Does on camera flash mean the flash that is built in? Or any flash mounted on the hotshoe?
I also have a tripod and a reflector that came with a stand.

Thanks in advance !!!
Trudy
www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700

Comments

• Options
    951porsche951porsche Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited April 30, 2009
    VayCayMom wrote:
    Ok, I am ready to do this but have no clue exactly how to do it, or what I require.
    I have seen people with cameras that have a flash out to the side, that looks a bit heavy for me to manage.. is that also off camera flash?

I have Nikon D 300 and SB 800. I use as much natural lighting as possible and try to shoot outdoors 98 % of the time, I live in AZ, so that is easy. How does this work, what do I need to buy, please be specific and use simple terms ! Do I ever use my on camera flash with off camera? Does on camera flash mean the flash that is built in? Or any flash mounted on the hotshoe?
    I also have a tripod and a reflector that came with a stand.

Thanks in advance !!!

You have everything you need to take your flash off camera! The d300 on board flash is an on board commander. It can telegraph pulses of flash to other "remote" speedlights. These pulses talk to the flash and tell it what to fire and when to fire. Your sb800 can be a remote. (it can also be a commander giving you additional functionality over your d300, and it can be a pure optical remote as well, meaning ANYBODYS flash can trigger it) If you make it a remote, and use the pop-up as a commander you have your off camera solution. The best part of CLS/AWL is that you can also control the exposure of that off camera flash from the camera. No walking back and forth.
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    951porsche wrote:
    You have everything you need to take your flash off camera! The d300 on board flash is an on board commander. It can telegraph pulses of flash to other "remote" speedlights. These pulses talk to the flash and tell it what to fire and when to fire. Your sb800 can be a remote. (it can also be a commander giving you additional functionality over your d300, and it can be a pure optical remote as well, meaning ANYBODYS flash can trigger it) If you make it a remote, and use the pop-up as a commander you have your off camera solution. The best part of CLS/AWL is that you can also control the exposure of that off camera flash from the camera. No walking back and forth.

thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com