Options

My Flash Bracket...

Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
edited May 7, 2009 in Accessories
So I purchased a Stroboframe Pro-RL bracket awhile ago. It's been sitting in my room so far, un-used. When I first got it, I tried mounting my camera on it to play around with it. Something seemed very awkward about it. The placement that the camera sat on the plate in relation to the grip on the back of it (there was very little room for my hand to fit). When I rotated the camera to vertical, it put my battery grip on the left so my vertical shutter release was on the wrong side, basically it flips my camera the wrong way. I tried turning the camera around on the bracket to see if I had it backwards. As that made the vertical shutter release on my camera correct, nothing else felt right about the way it was mounted. However, when I just googled pictures of how it should be mounted, I found this photo that shows it mounted how I thought it was mounted backwards (my second try).
81746968.mmzhq5HT.P1000696w.jpg
So it seems I had the camera on backwards. Which is weird to me then because the way the padded grip thing is, I would imagine it being on the back of the bracket.
SB310700.JPG
In this photo, the camera would be facing towards you, so this is the front of the bracket. That seems backwards to me, but, apparently, I'm wrong.
In order to rotate the camera on the bracket, I had to raise the flash bracket up a bit so the camera wouldn't hit the mounting hardware for the flash. It seems impossible to hold the camera, bracket, lens (to zoom in/out and/or focus), and release the shutter all at the same time.

I feel like a complete idiot right now after looking at these photos and realizing that I had the camera on backwards on the bracket. But I guess that's why I'm here, to learn.

So...any experience or tips or anything that can help me get the most out of this bracket would be greatly appreciated. I've contemplated sending it back to B&H and getting instead a 13' lightstand, 43" umbrella, and the mounting hardware to attach a flash (or other light) and the umbrella to the stand.

So...talk me out of it.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    edited May 3, 2009
    Oh yeah, and another thing. I just mounted up my camera and flash to test it out again in the proper mounting fashion. When I turn my camera to vertical, because the battery grip is on the bottom (mounted to the pivoting mechanism and plate) I can't grip the battery grip to release the shutter with all that metal in the way from the pivoting mechanism and mounting plate on the bracket. I think that was the major awkwardness from my first try and mounting it on this way.

Also, and I think this is more just of a, "well you didn't buy the best bracket so you get what you pay for" thing, is the pivoting mechanism seems flimsy. If I'm holding my camera at the grip, and the lens to zoom/focus, the arm that extends up to hold the flash wobbles a bit front-back. While holding the camera, I can lean the entire thing forwards or backwards, like something is loose. I looked at the pivoting mechanism, all bolts seemed tight and such, just seems like a loose/flimsy design.

Ok, so I figured out the holding part of it (i.e. holding the lens, camera, bracket, and releasing the shutter) when the camera is in landscape configuration. However, since there is no lock on the bracket when it portrait configuration, when you hold the camera and lens the bracket tips in to the left. Only way I found to stop that is to hold the grip on the front of the bracket instead of the lens. But then there creates a problem...you're not holding the lens (to focus and/or zoom). So...

To sum up, three major problems:
    • When camera is vertical, can't hold on to grip because of flash brackets mounting bracket.
    • Pivoting mechanism seems flimsy and wobbles around.
    • When camera is vertical, no lock on pivoting mechanism so flash bracket flops over if holding camera and lens vs camera and bracket.

Ok. My last and final question... For those of you that use Flash Bracket's... I have a quick release plate on my camera for my tripod/monopod. Do you put a QR plate on the flash bracket to or should I take the plate off of my camera and screw it on and take it off every time? That seems like more of a hassle to me since I don't see myself using the flash bracket 100% of the time at a wedding or something, I could disconnect my camera from the bracket when I don't need the flash/flash bracket easily versus unscrewing it and re-screwing it every time...
  • Options
    gryphonslair99gryphonslair99 Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    That is one of the problems with affordable brackets. They are affordable because of the design features that are left off. That is why this was my choice of bracket a few years ago. The price was better then, but it was still expensive.

http://www.custombrackets.com/scripts/prodViewnew.asp?idproduct=148
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    That is one of the problems with affordable brackets. They are affordable because of the design features that are left off. That is why this was my choice of bracket a few years ago. The price was better then, but it was still expensive.

http://www.custombrackets.com/scripts/prodViewnew.asp?idproduct=148

ditto, that's why I went with CB as well. EXCELLENT choice thumb.gif
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2009
    I was looking at that bracket as well. But in the end, I'm on a very VERY tight budget and was advised that I NEED a bracket, and was told that the one I got was good, so I went with it. I've always been a firm believer in you get what you pay for, this is just another case of it.

Aside from the wobblyness of my issues...anyone have any other input?

Thanks for your replies.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    Design issues - that's why I went with MY favorite the Di100FR2 Flash Rotator. It folds. It's compact. It does what it's supposed to do. And all with a minimum of muss and fuss.

So, if you want/need a bracket and you are seriously contemplating returning your Stroboframe, you might want to consider either the CB or this. BTW - the Newton bracket is smaller and lighter and is adjustable to accomodate a camera with or without a battery grip.

Budget (that's like a 4-letter word, isn't it?) - I understand. But, like in most things, if you buy at a bargain price, you compromise somwhere. It might be better to save you pennies another month or two and "buy it right, buy it once!"
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2009
    Design issues - that's why I went with MY favorite the Di100FR2 Flash Rotator. It folds. It's compact. It does what it's supposed to do. And all with a minimum of muss and fuss.

So, if you want/need a bracket and you are seriously contemplating returning your Stroboframe, you might want to consider either the CB or this. BTW - the Newton bracket is smaller and lighter and is adjustable to accomodate a camera with or without a battery grip.

Budget (that's like a 4-letter word, isn't it?) - I understand. But, like in most things, if you buy at a bargain price, you compromise somwhere. It might be better to save you pennies another month or two and "buy it right, buy it once!"

Looking at that bracket, it doesn't seem like it moves the flash that far off the camera... Isn't the point of the flash bracket to move the flash off the camera and away from the axis of the lens? As well as keep the flash above the lens when in portrait mode, but this one obviously does that.

I know what you mean. I might look at returning it, I just know that it would be awhile 'till I was able to get another one. Probably a couple months out, if not by the end of the year. Especially at a $300 price range. As I really want my next purchase to be the 17-55 f/2.8.

Thanks for your input everyone.
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2009
    If your flash output is not modified, then yes, you would want to seperate your flash from the camera subject distance to reduce chances of red-eye, etc. However, if you use something like either a Better Bounce Card or a light scoop (see links in my siggy), the whole red-eye issue is virtually eliminated. In addition, with the flash head pointing up and the either of the two above modifiers attached, your light source is a good 8" inches from the subject-camara axis. Using this setup, even in quite dark environs (like a wedding reception) I've yet to encounter even a single case or red-eye. But, all that's for shoot people.

The first image you included is set up for, among other things, birding. That flash zoom attachment will do a wonderful job of putting a catchlight in the eye of your subject. A little trigonometry will show that, at the distances involved there, the slight seperation between the flash and the camera will make only a very negligible difference in the angle of of the flash as seen by your subject.
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2009
    I'm using the hand made version of the one found here on post #7 from Ziggy.

So noting that, you're saying I don't really need a flash bracket?

I was just using that photo as a picture to show how the camera was mounted, not necessarily anything else. The link I used isn't working anymore, at least here at school, so maybe I'll have to go look at it again to see exactly what you're talking about.

Thank you though.
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2009
    I'm using the hand made version of the one found here on post #7 from Ziggy.

So noting that, you're saying I don't really need a flash bracket?

I was just using that photo as a picture to show how the camera was mounted, not necessarily anything else. The link I used isn't working anymore, at least here at school, so maybe I'll have to go look at it again to see exactly what you're talking about.

Thank you though.
    Yeah, that's a light scoop. Like Ziggy says, that configuration is not ideal but will work in that it is a much lighter light source (your shadows will be less contrasty) and the scoop will tend to keep the light source above the lens a bit. Will you still have the dreaded side shadows? If your camera/flash is configured as shown there then .... yes, a bit.

If you are intending to use the bracket to seperate the flash from the lens AND if your subjects are a significant distance (as compared to the distance from your light source to your lens) from the camera, then I don't believe the difference between the flash on camera and the flash on a bracket will not be very significant.

However, if you are intending to use the your flash/camera in portrait orientation and your subject is not a fair distance from the background then the flash bracket will do a decent job of controlling the location of the shadows caused by the flash - your subject will tend to hide most of that shadow.

As for whether you need a bracket - only you can determine that. It's going to be function of what it is that you are wanting to accomplish. Do some testing and see what you get. If it matches your expectations, then obviously you don't need a bracket. If not, then you need to change something. Is a bracket the solution - again, only you can say. It might be a case of needed to get the light completely off camera.

Now, if off-camera lighting is what you are wanting to do, then a light-weight lightstand, an umby or similar modifier, a device to mount your flash to the stand, and a device to trigger you flash is what you are going to need/want ... and so it begins deal.gif
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2009
    I've been getting extremely good results (imo at least) with just the light scoop. When I have some time, and a willing model (my room mate and I are both busy with finals right now), I'll try the light scoop in conjunction with the flash bracket I have. See if I can get one to work better than the other.

I think for landscape configuration, the flash bracket with the light modifier isn't necessary. However, in portrait configuration, the combination is ideal. I would like to get a small, 10' light stand, umbrella, and a bracket to put my 430EX on whilst using my 580II either on camera, or on a bracket. But that's another $200 or so for the stand/umby/bracket set up. So that will have to wait. Would also like two of each stands set up and a pocket wizard system to use two side flashes. But all later as money comes in and jobs start to form.

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    I have an older version and really like it...by older my upright does not slide it is 2 pieces of flat steel......the foam grip was solid WALNUT on mine and was not intended to be used as a grip....but a rest to press your forearm against.......I never actually held mine convetionally.....I still held camera by the camera grip and focused normally with left hand and left arm against the walnut piece on the front of the bracket.....

here is a photo of mine with camera / vivitar 285hv mounted.....originally this photo was rotated 90ccw with a tripod below it.......I also have the potatoe masher flsh holder that i really love............
    528229887_ZLGaw-L-2.jpg
    As you can see mine also has a walnut grip.....I think this was removed with the advent of digital and the fact that standard release cables were not longer going to work with digital and no has actually devised a cable to fit into the cable holder on these brackets.....about every couple of years I do replce the silicon washers on the rotator part......

Be sure the mounting plate (with all the vertical holes in it) is positioned correctly for your gear.....if you have a battery grip it will definitely mount in different holes.....as this bracket is backwards to mine it very well could be that the upright is close enuff to the shutter button that the index finger can reach without straining and still use the upright as a handle....alot of the newer Stroboframes have a small round foam grip around the upright for comfort...............you will also need to adjust the tension of the rotator nuts for your gear.........I have been using mine for over 15+yrs.....my first bracket was the RL2000 which they still make and sell it is over 25yrs old and still works well but was not built for the potatoe masher flash units....it is about 2-3" too short....but for a shoe mount flash it is perfect......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited May 4, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    528229887_ZLGaw-L-2.jpg
    Yeah, but what kind of an excuse are you going to foist on us for that background :D :lol :lol4 eek7.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    Yeah, but what kind of an excuse are you going to foist on us for that background :D :lol :lol4 eek7.gif

My dawg made me use her blanket, cause it kept her awake at nite rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Actually that was used for some head shots of a native american and it was left behind and i needed something in a hurry........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    PenquinPenquin Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    Flash bracket issues
    I to have been researching flash brackets. I recently started looking at a bracket made by a company called Really Right Stuff. Please see the attached link. http://reallyrightstuff.com/flash/index.html Does anyone have any information good or bad on this bracket. I would like to only purchase once. I take a lot of sports photos and thought this might work really well mounted on a monopod using my 70-200 2.8. Then as I started researching football photos that led me to flash brackets mounted under the camera on a monopod. Now I am really confused. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    Wow that bracket looks huge .. hope you don't need a license for it :D
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston