Options

Another backpacking type question.....

nightspidynightspidy Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
edited May 26, 2009 in Accessories
Ok, just realized something else....how am I going to charge my batteries and Sanho thingy (Mem storage)? I know I have to get some sort of adapter (?) or something like that, but I don't even know where to start. I have googled stuff, but there is soooo much information I don't know where to start :huh Please advise.......

Thanks again! :D
Canon 30D & REB XT (thinking of converting to infrared), Sigma 10-20mm, Tammy 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8 IS, Tokina 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 1.4 ext, and Sigma 4.5 fish eye along with a Bogen by Gitzo Tripod, Manfrotto Ball Head, MacBook PRO, several HOYA filters and a 2GB & 8GB San Disk, 160GB Sanho storage device (really cool btw)......wishing for a Canon 100-400mm. :wink

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    nightspidy wrote:
    Ok, just realized something else....how am I going to charge my batteries and Sanho thingy (Mem storage)? I know I have to get some sort of adapter (?) or something like that, but I don't even know where to start. I have googled stuff, but there is soooo much information I don't know where to start eek7.gif Please advise.......

Thanks again! :D

Most modern (digital age) equipment (battery chargers) have the ability to charge in other countries with an aux plug in cable for the region you are visiting......Same with your storage device.......

Or are you talking backpacking into the back country....if so then most majory battery stores (ALL PAK) have solar chargers starting around $60............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    nightspidynightspidy Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    Most modern (digital age) equipment (battery chargers) have the ability to charge in other countries with an aux plug in cable for the region you are visiting......Same with your storage device.......

Or are you talking backpacking into the back country....if so then most majory battery stores (ALL PAK) have solar chargers starting around $60............

Sorry Art.....we are going to be going to hostels that have electricity, I just need to know how to plug in my batt charger/Sanho thing into the wall. So, I would just need to buy a unit that I plug my item into which then plugs into the wall?
    Canon 30D & REB XT (thinking of converting to infrared), Sigma 10-20mm, Tammy 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8 IS, Tokina 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 1.4 ext, and Sigma 4.5 fish eye along with a Bogen by Gitzo Tripod, Manfrotto Ball Head, MacBook PRO, several HOYA filters and a 2GB & 8GB San Disk, 160GB Sanho storage device (really cool btw)......wishing for a Canon 100-400mm. :wink
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    You need the right plug and a voltage converter for the middle east.

Google "plugs" for middle east, or whatever country and look for that. Most outfits will sell you all four or five converter pieces but not the voltage converter.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    rhjfrhjf Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    You probably won't need a voltage convertor. Just look at the small print on the power adaptor you've already got. It should say something like Voltage: 120V–250V ~. If it does give a range along those lines, then the adaptor can cope with the higher voltage without any extra equipment other than a basic plug convertor. You might even find that the adaptor doesn't run as hot when using 240V AC compared to the 120V AC which you're presumably used to.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    nightspidy wrote:
    Sorry Art.....we are going to be going to hostels that have electricity, I just need to know how to plug in my batt charger/Sanho thing into the wall. So, I would just need to buy a unit that I plug my item into which then plugs into the wall?

What brand is your batery charger(s) and what model is your Sanho storage device?

My Konica Minolta battery chargers are 110/220 chargers....I only need to buy the proper cable for them for the area of the world I am going to.....the converters are built in.......
    I would figure that Canon and Nikon are the same.
    I forgot to ask....are you charging batteries for DSLR or P/S camera??? Which camera ???
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2009
    Multi-adaptor
    As a frequent business traveller, I have a good collection of those adaptorssss. Very often, I had to buy a new as either I left the old one in the hotel room or my friend never return it to me.

Just took a quick shoot of those I usually use. There are so many different designs, from multi-country to multi-outlet.

I like the C, multi-country and multi-outlet and it provides 2 socket so that I can run my laptop and charge my camera or phone at the same time.

A is the smaller size and multi-country.
    B is most stylish, branded and most expensive.
    D single country for multi-outlet
    E Country specific but smallest and most handy.

Please take note that some of the latest plane comes with in-seat power supply which is usually US style. It allows you to finish the 1000 photo editing on the way back.

If you intend to bring along the laptop, you can make use of the USB cable to charge the phone and batteries.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Options
    FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    When traveling, I managed to find a 'low wattage' converter (I think it only allows like 100 watts to run through it at a given time) that works basically everywhere I need to go. Europe, all the Americas, Asia (though I've never been, it says it works there) ... it was like 20 bucks and came with all the appropriate physical plugs in a nice small box.
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.