Options

Sportsmobile: Northern California Coast/Redwoods Trip...

TWOLOSTTWOLOST Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited May 6, 2009 in Journeys
My wife and I just recently returned from a twelve day trip down to northern California - from Washington State. The trip was part business (to get some service work done on our camper van) and part vacation. Below are some pics from the vacation part of our trip. If you are interested in viewing a more complete trip report, I posted the full trip report on a forum dedicated specifically to our type of van... here

Skipping the business part of the trip and starting out at Lost Lake Park, some 30 miles north of Fresno, CA...

In one of the more interesting things that happened today, I witnessed a heron stalking some fish right outside of our campsite (approx 100 yards away). This was an incredible experience. The heron would find a potential fishing spot and then stand perfectly still waiting for something to travel by. Like a bolt of lightning, the heron would strike with amazing speed and with precision accuracy. Below is a sequence of pictures I captured while this guy was fishing. During the strike on the below fish, I could hear the impact of the heron’s beak hit the fish like someone whacking a pumpkin with a 2x4. It was really vicious. The heron would spear the fish (impaling the fish over the heron’s beak), scrape the fish off of the beak, coil back and strike again (five more times). Then it was down the hatch.

Stalking Prey:
514713996_cDREp-L.jpg

Attack
514713651_KTmbs-L.jpg

Gulp:
514713659_6xTaM-L.jpg

514713665_DWzCD-L.jpg

514713669_YhTck-L.jpg

For the sequence above, I was shooting with a Canon EOS 1d MkII with a 400mm F2.8 L lens and a 2 x extender. The sun was falling fast and light (or lack of light) was soon to be an issue.
Cheers,
---Bruce---

My Content Home Base:... McCallum Racing Enterprises

Comments

• Options
    edited April 22, 2009
    After our camper van was serviced, we drove west out to the Pacific Coast and then headed north up Hwy 1. Here are some select shots along the coast as we drove north:

Along Hwy 1
    514828735_WP2pu-L.jpg

Random surf turf (actually, Big Basin Redwoods State Park, Waddell Beach):
    514828736_zZ4kg-X2.jpg

California Turkey Vulture:
    517448176_uNDkz-L.jpg

View from Muir Beach Overlook (Seascape Drive):
    514828745_MBP2f-L.jpg

Trees that lined part of our route:
    514828767_ka49i-X2.jpg

Chasing the sun into the horizon (near Westport, CA):
    514828772_yvY4v-L.jpg
    Cheers,
    ---Bruce---

• Options
    edited April 22, 2009
    This image is from the RV Park (Westport Beach RV and Camping) that we stayed at overnight:
    514828781_2AQEe-L.jpg

Continuing futher north that morning... we opted to drive along some of the more primitive parts of the California coastline (Usal Road, Usal Beach).

Usal Beach:
    514828819_QZnrY-L.jpg

Usal Road:
    514828832_UdDFz-L.jpg

514848531_kP9oL-L.jpg

Among tall trees (California Redwoods):
    514848562_TTacz-X2.jpg

More primitive coastal roads (Briceland Road, Needle Rock Road):
    515002530_Sa4tG-L.jpg

Seals at Shelter Cove:
    515002538_hEBL8-L.jpg
    Cheers,
    ---Bruce---

• Options
    edited April 22, 2009
    We found another (relatively) remote camping spot right on the beach at Gold Bluffs Beach State Park:

515056250_QLG5u-X2.jpg

515002659_4HUrX-L.jpg

Wind started to kick up the surf:
    515016294_vLJSx-L.jpg

515016299_k8iZp-L.jpg
    Cheers,
    ---Bruce---

• Options
    edited April 22, 2009
    All in all it was a great trip and the weather cooperated very nicely (with no rain). The temps ranged from 35 degrees (F) to 50 degrees (F) and we only had one day where winds were sustained at or above 35 mph. As this was still considered early in the season and as we tried to stay off of the main routes, we encountered very few other people on this trip.

For reference, here is a link to a map of the King Range National Conservation Area (aka The Lost Coast) which we were fortunate enough to spend a couple of days:

King Range Map (658KB)
    Cheers,
    ---Bruce---

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    What a great journey......Keep'em comin'!!bowdown.gifthumbbowdown.gifthumbbowdown.gifthumbbowdown.gifthumbbowdown.gifbowthumb.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    What a great journey......Keep'em comin'!!bowdown.gifthumbbowdown.gifthumbbowdown.gifthumbbowdown.gifthumbbowdown.gifbowthumb.gif

Ditto...very nice photography. Thanks for sharing.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited April 22, 2009
    The lost coast is a special place. The rugged coast and remoteness make it a place few people visit--which is cool considering how close it is to major metropolitan areas.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    Fantastic series. You captured a lot of great stops that make northern Ca. what it is.

btw, that is a Turkey Vulture, not a Condor. Almost as ugly though mwink.gif
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2009
    Thanks everyone for the comments. I definitely have a new appreciation for NOR-CAL and the many amazing natural jewels that can be found there.

Also, thanks for identifying and correcting me with regard to the vulture picture (much appreciated).
    Cheers,
    ---Bruce---

• Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    Very cool shots. Who was driving the van... B.A. Barackus or Murdock?
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2009
    sweet ride! sweet photog!....just a big wow altogether!

first time i seen a sportmobile was over in Toroweap Grand Canyon area and i thought it was the coolest thing ever...if you ever need a place to store that baby just let me know...hahaha
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    Every Miles A MemoryEvery Miles A Memory Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    Awesome Post and Great Photography!

In that shot where the van is pulled over along the edge of the road, we camped in that exact spot last spring:D Light was failing and we were listening to the waves crash and the seals bark in the water and both said "Ahh screw it, lets just sleep here for the night!"

444675882_JumtA-L-1.jpg

The sequence of the bird and the fish is great. At first I thought the bir was never going to get the fish in his mouth, but then you see him looking like it's stuck in his throateek7.gif
    Pat Bonish
    www.everymilesamemory.com
    www.patbonishphotography.com

All Who Wander Are Not Lost
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    Another great looking series of photos Bruce!!
  • Options
    a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    Great Journeys thread!

The Sportsmobile looks like the ideal rolling photo studio.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    Great read and series of shots. Thanks for the share
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    bskaranbskaran Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    Great shots. I particularly like the beach shots.
    Cheers - Karan

WWW.bskaran.com
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2009
    Thanks all.

Regarding our Sportsmobile camper van... it does make a pretty decent photo home-base. It is relatively small, has solar panels on the roof plus an inverter so that we can charge all of our batteries, run the fridge and microwave, etc... (without the need to turn the van on or be restricted to campgrounds that offer electrical hookups). This van allows us to stay out longer than tent camping on our motorcycle and we can now travel during more inclement times of the year too. That said, I still use the m/c for various solo camping adventures.

Here is our motorcycle, packed for two:
    527078829_t29zG-L.jpg

Here is my brother learning first hand about soil stability and influences of a rising water table on an incomming tide (i.e. sinking kickstand). Note, it took three people to lift the fully loaded bike:
    527078839_kwBwH-L.jpg

The van is a little more comforting when it starts to snow as well:
    527145079_zah2W-L.jpg
    Cheers,
    ---Bruce---

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited May 3, 2009
    Nice 1150 thumb.gif

Great combo too. I don't know if you're following Ara (BeemerChef) & Spirit but they're doing something similar.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Every Miles A MemoryEvery Miles A Memory Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    Bruce, I think I like your BMer's more than your Sportsmobile, and that;s a hard decision.

In the first picture, how does you wife fit into those green bags? Is she some sort of controtionist?:D
    Pat Bonish

• Options
    edited May 4, 2009
    Hey Ian, yep... I am aware of BeemerChef's journey and I check into his latest thread on ADVRider once in a while.

As for how my wife fits up and between all of our luggage on the bike... well, somehow she makes it work. What amazes me is that the harmonics of the bike going down the road tend to put her to sleep.

headscratch.gifne_nau.gif

I can tell when she dozes off because her helmet continually crashes into the back of mine on deceleration. On stretches of really twisty roads, it becomes somewhat comical as she will slump over like a sack of rice while in the middle of a corner and then I will use just the right amount of throttle to pick her up again as we exit the corner - never waking her up. Good times. With all of that stuff surrounding her, at least I dont have to worry about her falling off on her own. thumb.gif
    Cheers,
    ---Bruce---

• Options
    edited May 5, 2009
    Hey Bruce, I knew how she sat up there, I was more or less joking because in the shot you posted, all you could see was her head sticking out of the green bag

My wife tends to fall asleep on the back of our bike too, but we just have a little dual sport DRZ and there is nothing to hold her up there.

I have to give her a quick jab with the elbow when ever I feel her nodding off. I'm afraid one of these times she's going to fall right off the bike
    Pat Bonish

• Options
    ed_hed_h Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    The 1150 looks great, and i thought we were packed:D :D The pictures of the coast on shot 4 is very nice.
    ed
    A dog is for life, not just Christmas
    http://www.dogshome.org.au/