Options

(another) idiot 430ex question

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited May 7, 2009 in Technique
Still finding my way around my flash, but a basic features/controls question this time: I want to use 2nd curtain synch off camera, fired with the ste2. When I switch it to slave, the 2nd curtain synch button on the flash doesn't do anything (either in manual or ETTL), and the camera itself has 2nd curtain in the flash settings menu greyed out (it's an xsi).

Am I missing something somewhere? :scratch I've read the manual (and assorted online sites) multiple times and just can't figure this out.... Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 6, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Still finding my way around my flash, but a basic features/controls question this time: I want to use 2nd curtain synch off camera, fired with the ste2. When I switch it to slave, the 2nd curtain synch button on the flash doesn't do anything (either in manual or ETTL), and the camera itself has 2nd curtain in the flash settings menu greyed out (it's an xsi).

Am I missing something somewhere? headscratch.gif I've read the manual (and assorted online sites) multiple times and just can't figure this out.... Thanks in advance!

Interesting question. My 580ex II also, when slipped into Master or Slave Mode, no longer lights the 2nd curtain synch pixel either, even when it was on before turning on Master or Slave mode.

The ST-E2 does support High Speed Synch, but does not have a button for 2nd curtain synch.

I cannot find a specific answer in my 1DSMKII manual, nor on the photonotes.org link about second curtain synch - http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/index2.html#secondcurtain

In "Canon DSLR" by Christopher Grey it says on page 221 "You can program Flash Exposure Compensation, High Speed Synch, or any of feature of the speedlite ( with the exception of Second Curtain Synch ) into the Master, but understand that the same settings will be applied to each of the slaves" This makes we wonder if 2nd curtain synch is available as a Slave unit at all.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    I ran into the same "problem" with my 580EX II.

Wonder if this is true as well for the Nikon speed lights.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2009
    Well, phooey - this suggests that's simply the way it works rather than user error.

Back to the drawing board....!
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    Found on the net:

"Please note that second curtain sync is available only when the flash is directly attached to body or connected with a ETTL sync cable.
    The second curtain sync is not available for flash connected via PC Sync cable or wireless radio trigger."

I suspect this has to do with all the flashes that go on with the wireless to communicate ETTL settings to the flash: probably too much going on or that the timing between the ST-E2 and the flash is not fast enough for it to work.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,856 moderator
    edited May 6, 2009
    It looks like the problem with using an E-TTL master/slave and not getting second-curtain functionality are pretty well documented, just not by Canon.

I believe that you need to use "dumb" master/slave combinations, as in simple optical or radio slaves that do not communicate with the camera and then the flashes need to be either auto or manual mode flashes. Second-curtain operation will work with the simple slaves.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2009
    Thanks, boys. I swear I googled for about half an hour without finding that, cmason - you obviously have better search string karma than I do thumb.gif

At least now I know and won't sit there morosely holding down the button and wondering why it won't work :D If I ever seriously need it, I'll rethink my triggering system, but for the time being I'll just deal with it. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2009
    cmason wrote:
    Found on the net:

"Please note that second curtain sync is available only when the flash is directly attached to body or connected with a ETTL sync cable.
    The second curtain sync is not available for flash connected via PC Sync cable or wireless radio trigger."

I suspect this has to do with all the flashes that go on with the wireless to communicate ETTL settings to the flash: probably too much going on or that the timing between the ST-E2 and the flash is not fast enough for it to work.

Can you please post the link for this statement?

Somehow I was thinking the new ETTL/iTTL PWs supported 2nd curtain, but I'll have to recheck their website tomorrow.

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Can you please post the link for this statement?

Somehow I was thinking the new ETTL/iTTL PWs supported 2nd curtain, but I'll have to recheck their website tomorrow.

I need to look at the browser history on my other computer, but I did find a similar reference here as well:

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/index3.html#enablesecond

here it mentions "[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]second-curtain sync requires a dedicated Speedlite flash unit - it isn’t supported on flash units connected via a PC socket"[/SIZE][/FONT]

edit: here is the link, from a Flickr group thread...whether you think this is a reliable resource or not is up to you...it does match what we are seeing: http://www.flickr.com/groups/canondslr/discuss/72157608259185325/
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    The wireless is using pre-flashes which screws up second curtain sync. Just use a radio slave. A set of alienbee CyberSyncs cost less than the STE thing.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2009
    2nd curtain for an EOS flash requires it to be on the camera hot shoe or an off camera ettl cord.

Still searching about the FlexTT PW devices. They talk about HyperSynch and higher speed native synching, but I do not find reference to 2nd curtain synching in a quick scan of their site. http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/transmitter_receiver/flextt5%20canon/

• Options
    edited May 7, 2009
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    The wireless is using pre-flashes which screws up second curtain sync. Just use a radio slave. A set of alienbee CyberSyncs cost less than the STE thing.

Perhaps, but if you already own an ste2.....
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    2nd curtain for an EOS flash requires it to be on the camera hot shoe or an off camera ettl cord.

Still searching about the FlexTT PW devices. They talk about HyperSynch and higher speed native synching, but I do not find reference to 2nd curtain synching in a quick scan of their site. http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/transmitter_receiver/flextt5%20canon/

Thanks PF - I appreciate your further research thumb.gifnod.gif
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    I had a thread about this exact subject some time ago on Dgrin. I had spent about 20 minutes at a wedding.....well...while they were decorating...trying to get a 2nd curtain with the STE2. To cut to the chase...it simply wont work.