Options

A few from the garden

MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
edited May 24, 2005 in Holy Macro
It's been raining here for the past tree days on and off, but I managed to get out for a few shots in the garden.

fallenbudsm9ts.jpg

alonesomeflowersm7dt.jpg

aanotherflowersm5md.jpg

And last a cool spidey...

aspideyiiism2mt.jpg

AJ

Comments

• Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    AJ I reckon you nailed it with number 3 thumb.gifthumb

aanotherflowersm5md.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2005
    Thank you Mr. Gubbs. thumb.gif I can't wait to have a "real" macro lens, in the meantime I get to practice with what I have.

AJ
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 24, 2005
    Those are all very pretty shots AJ. Nice job! thumb.gif

You think that spider camouflages based on its surroundings? It sure looks like it's mimicking the flower.
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Those are all very pretty shots AJ. Nice job! thumb.gif

You think that spider camouflages based on its surroundings? It sure looks like it's mimicking the flower.
    Thank you Angelo!

You know, that's a great question...thumb.gifheadscratch.gif You certainly do often find them blending in with their surroundings... I don't think spiders actually change their colors (and I could be wrong about that), but how do they seem to know when they're camoflaged or in the right "spot"?

aspideysm4hg.jpg

Bueller??? Anyone?!?!?!?!

AJ
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited May 24, 2005
    MuskyDude wrote:
    Thank you Mr. Gubbs. thumb.gif I can't wait to have a "real" macro lens, in the meantime I get to practice with what I have.

AJ
    It took me a while to look at rainy days as photo opportunities, but they really are. The rain droplets and the nice cloudy overcast makes for very nice macro shots as you hve so nicely demonstrated.

With regard to needing a macro lens - there are inexpensive alternatives -- Canon sells a 250D and 500D lens that threads into the filter ring on a standard lens and allows you to focus much closer. I believe Nikon makes similar + lens adapters ( 5T or 6T I think ) , but there is nothing special about the brand. The Canon 250D is less than $100, and is nicely color corrected, and can be used with extension tubes for very nice macros on a budget. Even on a Nikon or a Minolta.
    Here is shot that I took with a zoom tele and a 500D adapter while I was in Yosemite to demonstrate the capabilities of a front threaded macro adapter lens
    22102728-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2005
    Thanks PF and I completely agree, best time to do macros is after (or during if you can) the rains.

Thanks for your comments regarding alternatives to dedicated macro lenses, it's always good to hear from someone with experience. I am looking at those alternatives as we speak. I bought some close up lenses for my V1 so I already know they do indeed work as promised. nod.gif

Someone I forget who commented here about the differences shooting macros with a P&S and dslr. I totally agree, and has been a complete re-learning (f22? what?!). :dood

Thanks again for the tips and nice sample to boot!

AJ
    pathfinder wrote:
    It took me a while to look at rainy days as photo opportunities, but they really are. The rain droplets and the nice cloudy overcast makes for very nice macro shots as you hve so nicely demonstrated.

With regard to needing a macro lens - there are inexpensive alternatives -- Canon sells a 250D and 500D lens that threads into the filter ring on a standard lens and allows you to focus much closer. I believe Nikon makes similar + lens adapters ( 5T or 6T I think ) , but there is nothing special about the brand. The Canon 250D is less than $100, and is nicely color corrected, and can be used with extension tubes for very nice macros on a budget. Even on a Nikon or a Minolta.
    Here is shot that I took with a zoom tele and a 500D adapter while I was in Yosemite to demonstrate the capabilities of a front threaded macro adapter lens