Options

Question about pictures of people?

TikibirdplayTikibirdplay Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited May 7, 2009 in Technique
I enjoy taking pictures of my son playing baseball. However I never that that crisp clear shot. I have tried all sorts of settings. Of course I am a begginer with this camera. I own a Nikon D60. If anyone can give me the setting or settings I sould try I would greatly appreciate it. I sometimes get so confused with all the settings. The manual don't really help a whole lot. I like to take the pictures when he really doesn't know im doing it. That way I get all the serious faces he makes, cause he is really into his baseball.

Thanks in advance,

Lisa
Lisa

Comments

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 24, 2009
    Lisa

I moved your thread over here to TECHNIQUE where I know you'll get lots of advice.

thumb.gif

What lens are you using? Can you post a few examples of shots you're not happy with?
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2009
    Angelo wrote:
    Lisa

I moved your thread over here to TECHNIQUE where I know you'll get lots of advice.

thumb.gif

What lens are you using? Can you post a few examples of shots you're not happy with?

Thanks Angelo,

I will post some pics soon. He has a game Thursday and I will take some pics for you to see. My lens is a Nikkor 70-200 AF VR lens
    Lisa
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,860 moderator
    edited April 27, 2009
    Thanks Angelo,

I will post some pics soon. He has a game Thursday and I will take some pics for you to see. My lens is a Nikkor 70-200 AF VR lens

The Nikon D60 is not a very great camera for sports in that the AF section is fairly weak and the shooting responsiveness is also fairly sluggish for a sports application, but (and this is the great part) the Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm, f2.8 VR is a great lens for sports.

What this means is that you will have to anticipate the action and provide time for the camera to respond.

You will need a fairly high ISO so that you can use fast shutter speeds. In good light I suggest ISO 200 and ISO 400 and shutter speeds of 1/500th to 1/1000th in Shutter Priority mode. Use AF-C, Dynamic Area. The camera will set the aperture. Also set the camera for "Continuous" operation and shoot in 3 shot bursts.

In poorer light, especially under lights at night, feel free to push the ISO to 1600 and you may have to adjust the shutter speed to 1/250th.

Keep tapping the shutter button halfway down, between the action, while pointed at the expected point of action to keep the focus as close as possible to where the action will be when you take the shot. This technique reduces the time for the AF to achieve focus when needed.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The Nikon D60 is not a very great camera for sports in that the AF section is fairly weak and the shooting responsiveness is also fairly sluggish for a sports application, but (and this is the great part) the Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm, f2.8 VR is a great lens for sports.

What this means is that you will have to anticipate the action and provide time for the camera to respond.

You will need a fairly high ISO so that you can use fast shutter speeds. In good light I suggest ISO 200 and ISO 400 and shutter speeds of 1/500th to 1/1000th in Shutter Priority mode. Use AF-C, Dynamic Area. The camera will set the aperture. Also set the camera for "Continuous" operation and shoot in 3 shot bursts.

In poorer light, especially under lights at night, feel free to push the ISO to 1600 and you may have to adjust the shutter speed to 1/250th.

Keep tapping the shutter button halfway down, between the action, while pointed at the expected point of action to keep the focus as close as possible to where the action will be when you take the shot. This technique reduces the time for the AF to achieve focus when needed.

Thank You Ziggy,

I will try this info on thursday. Im very new at all this so i will have to hit the manual to learn how to do all of this. But I will give it a try.

Thanks again.
    Lisa
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2009
    Thank You Ziggy,

I will try this info on thursday. Im very new at all this so i will have to hit the manual to learn how to do all of this. But I will give it a try.

Thanks again.

I didn't forget about these pics. I just didn't make the game last Thursday. He has one tonight and I will try and get some tonight. Thanks for your patients.:photo :photo
    Lisa