Options

10 stop B&W filter

Chris HChris H Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
edited June 3, 2009 in Accessories
Yeehah, my B&W ten stop filter arrived yesterday. I'm heading to Dunure on the west coast of Scotland next week to see if I can get some fine art shots of the coastline. Will post up some images when I'm done.

Anyone else use one of these? Let's see your photos then.......!?

Comments

• Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    I used the ND400 for IR shooting with my Sony F828 as per Peter iNova's "Panacea Filter" article ( http://www.digitalsecrets.net/Sony/AdvancedKnow2.html ). The one-time investment in the ND400 filter was worth it and I thoroughly enjoyed playing around with it quite a bit. But it is a specialty tool, and not for everyone. Long exposures can provide some eerie effects, like making lightly peopled areas appear totally empty, in addition to its IR uses with a NightShot capable camera.

But I have not used it for about two years now. I will bet , though, you are going to have a lot of fun with it!
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited May 7, 2009
    I have an 8 stop. You can see an example over in Landscape (Santa Barbara).
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    I have the 10x as well, but I am not using it really ... I bought it for photographing seascapes on vacation ... this posts reminds me to shoot with it again. ;)
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    hiroProtagonisthiroProtagonist Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    Manfr3d wrote:
    I have the 10x as well, but I am not using it really ... I bought it for photographing seascapes on vacation ... this posts reminds me to shoot with it again. ;)
    Out of curriosity what effect are you trying to achieve that requires a 10 step filter?
    "But you and I, we’ve been through that, and this is not our fate. - Dylan 1968"
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2009
    Out of curriosity what effect are you trying to achieve that requires a 10 step filter?

I intended to use it for long time exposures during the day and sunset in order to get misty / smooth water. Here is an example shot with this technique: http://www.timecatcher.com/main.cfm?p=01_200&PhotoID=1060

Long time exposures on water can render really nice surreal dreamy kind of images. Even when there are almost no waves it allows to render a very moody the sea surface. Another example:http://www.timecatcher.com/main.cfm?p=01_200&PhotoID=295
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2009
    yep, that's the idea. You can also use it in crowded street environments or train stations to blur the passage of people and make what wouls normally be a shot with distracting bodies become a movement study.

I'm off to the coast next week to test out the see calming effects!
  • Options
    hiroProtagonisthiroProtagonist Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2009
    Manfr3d wrote:
    I intended to use it for long time exposures during the day and sunset in order to get misty / smooth water. Here is an example shot with this technique: http://www.timecatcher.com/main.cfm?p=01_200&PhotoID=1060

Long time exposures on water can render really nice surreal dreamy kind of images. Even when there are almost no waves it allows to render a very moody the sea surface. Another example:http://www.timecatcher.com/main.cfm?p=01_200&PhotoID=295
    Is this the same as a 3.0 ND? Nice shots, I never thought about using a ND on still water but I like the effect you achieved
    "But you and I, we’ve been through that, and this is not our fate. - Dylan 1968"
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2009
    Is this the same as a 3.0 ND? Nice shots, I never thought about using a ND on still water but I like the effect you achieved

Not my photos :) For B&W filters "ND 0.3" stands for 1 stop, "ND 0.6" for two and so forth until ND 3.0 which is 10 stop. The naming might not be the same with other brands. Sometimes a 10 stop filter has a "1000x" rating on it because it darkens the image by 50% exactly 10 times = 2^10 = 1024 = 1000x = 10 stops.
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2009
    ten stop ND filter shots
    As promised, here are my first shots with the ten stop filter. The sea wasn't exactly rough so there's not as much 'mist' as there might have been, but you still get the nice effect of flattening the sea and seeing movement in the clouds. All in all I'm pretty pleased.....

546441939_ztLDH-L.jpg
    546443007_LZFEa-L.jpg
    546443687_P5bfb-L.jpg
    546444468_Lyfa7-L.jpg

And just for fun here's an HDR shot from the same day. Looking from Culzean Castle beach out toward Aaron.
    546447344_Y9dv2-L.jpg

More in my landscape gallery if anyone's interested.
    Cheers
    Chris
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2009
    Very nice!!!
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2009
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    Good results, I want one of these in 72mm and 77mm! thumb.gif
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options