Would you like one?

529360992_y4pz9-XL.jpg

This post was made with the assistance of Star*Explorer
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    This is probably one of the best lit photos you posted in a while. I like the very well done balance between your "side lights" and the fill. The fill is there, but it's definitely not too much - just splendid. I would not be real happy with the shadow cast on the background by your fill.

It's interesting - there's a discussion about selective colorization in the Wedding forum and here you have one. This is well done. The focus is the apple. Had this been full color, I don't think the impact would have been quite the same.

You've also done a splendid job posing your model. On nit I see is her left hand - it's way tooo stiff/tense. Her obvious attempt to "maintain her modesty" is a huge distraction. In the vein of "we want to most see that which is hidden" I think had her hand been on her hip (or elsewhere) the visual draw to that area would have been greatly reduces and thus the impact of the photo increased.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    I also like the lighting here.

I don't care for the pose or the mask. The pose is just incongruous. The tense left hand in that position makes no sense with the sensual allure of the offered apple. Quite frankly, the left hand is very distracting.

I'm just not a mask person. I just don't care for the mask being in color here along with the apple.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    Scott, Mitchell - thanks guys!

About the pose...
    You guys don't think I just let it all happen, do you? mwink.gif In fact, everything, from head to toes - literally deal.gif - was placed according to my directions...

The idea was "the promise of a forbidden fruit".

The image does have two focal points on purpose, suggesting if you get one, you'll get another, all in one "diabolical" plot...

But apparently I didn't deliver...headscratch.gif :cry ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    I think this is an interesting take on the Venus pose, which is emblematic for "modesty" and "virtue." On the one hand, she's holding an apple, which brings to mind temptation, while she wears a mask that reminded me right away of Fuseli's The Night Mare (see http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/56/John_Henry_Fuseli_-_The_Nightmare.JPG/752px-John_Henry_Fuseli_-_The_Nightmare.JPG) - And on the other, she shields herself in the classic Venus pudica position with her hand. Interesting duality there.

(Wow, can you tell I have an art history final on Friday?)

Also, I was working on my photo project using apples as props and their relationship to the female figure as well, so what a strange coincidence ^_^
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    I think this is an interesting take on the Venus pose, which is emblematic for "modesty" and "virtue." On the one hand, she's holding an apple, which brings to mind temptation, while she wears a mask that reminded me right away of Fuseli's The Night Mare (see http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/56/John_Henry_Fuseli_-_The_Nightmare.JPG/752px-John_Henry_Fuseli_-_The_Nightmare.JPG) - And on the other, she shields herself in the classic Venus pudica position with her hand. Interesting duality there.

(Wow, can you tell I have an art history final on Friday?)

Also, I was working on my photo project using apples as props and their relationship to the female figure as well, so what a strange coincidence ^_^

Thank you, appreciate the comment!
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2009
    Lighting is great man. Love it.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2009
    Justiceiro wrote:
    Lighting is great man. Love it.