Assignment #4: Stone

Comments

• Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    I was bored and I'm still trying to find the right shot for "Concentric" and "Steam" so I got "Stoned" :D Heres my contribution.

268838436_E96H9-XL.jpg
    Click photo for EXIF
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
    http://slinky0390.smugmug.com
  • sfausfau Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    getting better?
    took this picture about 5 hours ago

268849906_AJ9Cy-XL.jpg
    “Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between man and the universe”……Anatole France

www.sfauphotographs.com
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    Slinky0390 wrote:
    I was bored and I'm still trying to find the right shot for "Concentric" and "Steam" so I got "Stoned" :D Heres my contribution.

Click photo for EXIF

Nice stones, thank you! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited March 22, 2008
    sfau wrote:
    took this picture about 5 hours ago
    Thank you! Nice canyon!
    I must say though: this is a text book scenario when you should have used braketing/hdr...ne_nau.gif
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    Akin to Post #92

262476363_Eak93-M-1.jpg

Roofing slates.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited March 22, 2008
    LRmvcDonR wrote:
    Akin to Post #92

Roofing slates.

Don
    Hi Don, thank you for the entry! thumb.gif
    I must say this shot makes way less "stoned" impression than #92. It also feels OOF or blurred...ne_nau.gif
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    You are correct, I was so exited to post something similar to the other (and this is date, 2005) that I didn't check the premise of this thread or notice that it is only sorta sharp on the left side.

I'll post something more appropriate soon.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Nice stones, thank you! thumb.gif
    Thanks, and you're welcome. :D
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
    http://slinky0390.smugmug.com
  • sanakasanaka Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    My submission:

274569169_bHGQJ-XL.jpg

I wish I could have shown scale better. This rock wall would have impressed even the ancient Hawaiian builders. ~2-3 yrs. old, it's around 50' high! Big stones at bottom are 6'-7'.

C&C appreciated. I masked the blown out sky and dropped in a properly exposed one.

Peace,
    Sanaka
    WooHooo! New dSLR!:barb : Canon XSi / 450D
    Kit lens for now: 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS
    edited April 4, 2008
    sanaka wrote:
    My submission:

I wish I could have shown scale better. This rock wall would have impressed even the ancient Hawaiian builders. ~2-3 yrs. old, it's around 50' high! Big stones at bottom are 6'-7'.

C&C appreciated. I masked the blown out sky and dropped in a properly exposed one.

Peace,
    Sanaka
    Great image! thumb.gif
    I love what you did to the sky, evn though it's looks a bit PSed. mwink.gif
    I wonder if you could use a wider lense to enhance the scale. headscratch.gif
    Putting a familiar sized subject (human) into the frame helps with that, too. deal.gif
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    douglas wrote:
    Well ive been wanting to get some photos of this for awhile, and this weeks assignment gave me the insentive I needed. Not sure how well it fits in catagory maybe I shoulda cropped out the truck.

91068756-L.jpg
    I think Doug's rock fell off the truck. It's mine now! :D

299834406_6ySYY-L.jpg

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited May 23, 2008
    Jack'll do wrote:
    I think Doug's rock fell off the truck. It's mine now! :D
    This is awesome, thank you! thumb.gif
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2008
    Thanks Nikolai, these assignments are great fun.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • russell_53040russell_53040 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 2, 2008
    Here is my "stone" wings.gif

_MG_0538.jpg

_MG_0543.jpg

_MG_0546.jpg
    edited June 2, 2008
    Here is my "stone" wings.gif
    These are all good:-)thumb.gif
    Yet again, as I already mentioned, please try to stay as "current" as possible, and only then play catchup. And even at that I do not recommend of doing more than one (two tops) of oldies per week. The idea is to think and put your back into them, not just marked them as done. Here, out of your 4 submissions, only #1 and #4 are OK, ##2 & 3 are too shallow...rolleyes1.gif
  • jorogumejorogume Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited April 13, 2009
    Well, I had to take a couple of weeks off due to my work. But here I am, back to school mwink.gif... Here is my stone...

IMG_9613-stone.jpg
    edited April 13, 2009
    jorogume wrote:
    Well, I had to take a couple of weeks off due to my work. But here I am, back to school mwink.gif... Here is my stone...
    And a lovely stone it is! thumb.gif
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited May 9, 2009
    Two Perspectives on Council Rock
    532450315_KbXBM-M.jpg

531802067_j9QUr-L.jpg
    edited May 10, 2009
    sapphire73 wrote:
    rocks
    First one is a solid rock! thumb.gif
    On a second one rocks really compete with the pines.. ne_nau.gif
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited May 10, 2009
    One More Shot of Council Rock
    Nikolai wrote:
    First one is a solid rock! thumb.gif
    On a second one rocks really compete with the pines.. ne_nau.gif
    I really like that first shot. I plan to go back and try it again under different skies.

Here is one I took the other day when the rocks were wet and looking rather different. Curious as to whether catching this child looking up in wonder gives emphasis or competition to the rocks above? Thanks.

532518030_3Cdus-M.jpg
    edited May 10, 2009
    sapphire73 wrote:
    I really like that first shot. I plan to go back and try it again under different skies.

Here is one I took the other day when the rocks were wet and looking rather different. Curious as to whether catching this child looking up in wonder gives emphasis or competition to the rocks above? Thanks.

It's a good one... My only concern is you "the other day" comment... Did you took this shot (and other ones from this series) with this class theme in mind?
    edited May 10, 2009
    Lorimer Park Shots
    Nikolai wrote:
    It's a good one... My only concern is you "the other day" comment... Did you took this shot (and other ones from this series) with this class theme in mind?

Yes, I did. In fact, it had been over ten years since I had visited this park but I went back (with my young grandson) three times in the past two weeks with this assignment in mind. I remembered those rocks! And I borrowed a wide angle lens from one of my sons to help me get some of those shots. The 24-105 L lens just isn't wide enough.

I already had some photos I thought would work for the stone assignment, but then I "caught" my grandson staring up at the rocks. He had been nervous around the rocks the week before but started "interacting" with them right when it was time to leave. I remembered that people in these stone/rock photos were OK if they contributed to a sense of scale or didn't become the focal point, so I turned my camera back on to see what I would get.

I also took several shots at this park with the vanishing point assignment in mind but not sure yet whether I will use them.

Thanks.
    edited May 10, 2009
    sapphire73 wrote:
    Yes, I did. In fact, it had been over ten years since I had visited this park but I went back (with my young grandson) three times in the past two weeks with this assignment in mind. I remembered those rocks! And I borrowed a wide angle lens from one of my sons to help me get some of those shots. The 24-105 L lens just isn't wide enough.

I already had some photos I thought would work for the stone assignment, but then I "caught" my grandson staring up at the rocks. He had been nervous around the rocks the week before but started "interacting" with them right when it was time to leave. I remembered that people in these stone/rock photos were OK if they contributed to a sense of scale or didn't become the focal point, so I turned my camera back on to see what I would get.

I also took several shots at this park with the vanishing point assignment in mind but not sure yet whether I will use them.

Thanks.

Gotcha, you're "safe" :-) thumb.gif
  • Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    How do I enter the stone class?
    edited May 11, 2009
    Chile Chef wrote:
    How do I enter the stone class?
    Just like any other... Read the assignment, check the existing posts for some ambiguities, take a fresh shot and post it... Nothing to it mwink.gif
    edited May 11, 2009
    Thank you very much sir.
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    536472902_vcKXu-M.jpg
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
    edited May 15, 2009
    water outlet
    Antonio,
    while some stones are present, it would take a long time to convince me it's a primary subject of this frame ne_nau.gif
    edited May 15, 2009
    Here's a semi newbie / amateur attempt at the stone Assignment.

536841248_A7WXK-XL.jpg
    edited May 15, 2009
    Chile Chef wrote:
    Here's a semi newbie / amateur attempt at the stone Assignment.
    Now that's a Stone! thumb.gif