Options

Blown Out White's

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited May 10, 2009 in Technique
Hi, yesterday I took a few photos of a wedding table layout using 40D 17-55mm 2.8 and 580 flash with a diffuser. Although everything looked ok on the histogram and when I looked at the shots on the LCD they appeared ok. However when I got home and put them on the computer all the white table cloth shots were blown out. (Am I pleased I was not shooting a bride)
Without going into the setting I used what are the best settings to use with the 580 diffuser? Any advice would be more than appreciated as I will be asked again to photograph tables for similar weddings.
Regards
Bob

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    Hi, yesterday I took a few photos of a wedding table layout using 40D 17-55mm 2.8 and 580 flash with a diffuser. Although everything looked ok on the histogram and when I looked at the shots on the LCD they appeared ok. However when I got home and put them on the computer all the white table cloth shots were blown out. (Am I pleased I was not shooting a bride)
    Without going into the setting I used what are the best settings to use with the 580 diffuser? Any advice would be more than appreciated as I will be asked again to photograph tables for similar weddings.
    Regards
    Bob
    Bob,
    if you did use your 40D's histogram in RGB mode and there was no clipping and you shot in manual mode (both camera and flash) there is no way you images would magically start clipping off the highlights.
    Can be few things...
    • You monitor is not calibrated properly.
    • You took test shots in one mode/under certain conditions and the (accidentally) switched to a different mode or conditions changed drastically
    • You were not shooting in full manual, which means camera + flash were free to make any decisions they wanted. This is, actually, the most likely reason.
    Shooting mostly white (or mostly dark) scene goes against everything what any automated camera mode wants. I recommend using flash meter and shooting full manual. I would also use highlight priority, it can help with the subtleties of white wedding cloth/dress.

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 9, 2009
    Were these images in the camera jpgs, Bob, or were they shot in RAW?

If there was no clipping on your LCD, and they were shot in RAW, I would think the highlights should be recoverable in your RAW convertor.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Bob,
    if you did use your 40D's histogram in RGB mode and there was no clipping and you shot in manual mode (both camera and flash) there is no way you images would magically start clipping off the highlights.
    Can be few things...
    • You monitor is not calibrated properly.
    • You took test shots in one mode/under certain conditions and the (accidentally) switched to a different mode or conditions changed drastically
    • You were not shooting in full manual, which means camera + flash were free to make any decisions they wanted. This is, actually, the most likely reason.
    Shooting mostly white (or mostly dark) scene goes against everything what any automated camera mode wants. I recommend using flash meter and shooting full manual. I would also use highlight priority, it can help with the subtleties of white wedding cloth/dress.

HTH

Hi Nikolai,
    The colour space was sRGB I have changed it to Adobe RGB if that makes any difference. I always shoot in Manual mode with exceptions. I certainly didn't see any clipping in the highlights.
    You have probably got a poing about the monitor as I have just purchased a new 24" and I am in the process of getting a calibrator as I think it needs calibrating. I don't have a flash meter and I thought I maybe had the flash to high on ettl. I did use a diffuser. I think I will have to have another go after I get this monitor sorted out.
    Thanks for your kind help.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Were these images in the camera jpgs, Bob, or were they shot in RAW?

If there was no clipping on your LCD, and they were shot in RAW, I would think the highlights should be recoverable in your RAW convertor.

I shot them all in full RAW, Pathfinder and as I said I never so any clipping in the highlights. I still have the CR2 images. When you say about the Raw converter is this in DPP or CS4? I will have another go.
    Thanks again
    Bob
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 10, 2009
    The RAW converter in CS4 may help you regain the blown highlights in your RAW files with the Recovery slider
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    The RAW converter in CS4 may help you regain the blown highlights in your RAW files with the Recovery slider

Thanks Pathfinder I have tried the recovery and it did help. Thanks a lot.
    Regards
    Bob