Backberry has an App store now, will it get some love?

havanesehavanese Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
edited May 12, 2009 in SmugMug Support
Now that Blackberry has an app store will there be a smug app to upload pics/video and view galleries?
Randy P.
Fuji X shooter
Thoughts and Images

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    havanese wrote:
    Now that Blackberry has an app store will there be a smug app to upload pics/video and view galleries?
    Wouldn't it be cool if a really smart programmer made a cool app? We'd love to help.
  • havanesehavanese Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Wouldn't it be cool if a really smart programmer made a cool app? We'd love to help.

Ah to be a programmer...

Anyone want to take on this project? I'm willing to pay and I'm sure others are too.
    Randy P.
    Fuji X shooter
    Thoughts and Images
  • dnbdnb Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited May 4, 2009
    Please someone make a SmugMug app for the BlackBerry (Storm ;-)!

Being able to swap the memory card from my camera to my phone and upload pictures en masse without having to lug around a laptop would be worth at least $20 from me.

Features that would be most important would be gallery selection/creation and queueing. Select/create the gallery, queue up the pictures, and let it eat!
    edited May 4, 2009
    dnb wrote:
    Please someone make a SmugMug app for the BlackBerry (Storm ;-)!

Being able to swap the memory card from my camera to my phone and upload pictures en masse without having to lug around a laptop would be worth at least $20 from me.

Features that would be most important would be gallery selection/creation and queueing. Select/create the gallery, queue up the pictures, and let it eat!

IMHO you won't find much love for Blackberries from SM they are iphone addicts

I would love a BB app also if it every comes up. Can't wait until the BB 9630 hits Verizon.
    Randy P.
    Fuji X shooter
    Thoughts and Images
    edited May 10, 2009
    havanese wrote:

I would love a BB app also if it every comes up. Can't wait until the BB 9630 hits Verizon.

I don't think a SM staff member has to be the one to develop the app do they? Couldn't anyone who has the skills to do so do the development?
    edited May 10, 2009
    havanese wrote:

Why must it be SmugMug? We have an open API, and there's a big 3rd party program from Blackberry - let's go developers wings.gif
    edited May 10, 2009
    Third party would be just great as well, I was just under the impression that smugmug on the iphone was done at least partially by SM

Since I'm not a programming and God bless all those who learn all these differnet APIs....I just enjoy begging.
    Randy P.
    Fuji X shooter
    Thoughts and Images
    edited May 11, 2009
    havanese wrote:
    Third party would be just great as well, I was just under the impression that smugmug on the iphone was done at least partially by SM

Since I'm not a programming and God bless all those who learn all these differnet APIs....I just enjoy begging.
    SmugMug's iPhone app and SmugShot were done by us nod.gif
    edited May 11, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    SmugMug's iPhone app and SmugShot were done by us nod.gif

So SmugMug has zero interest in developing a BlackBerry app if a third party doesn't handle it first? :(:
    edited May 11, 2009
    dnb wrote:
    So SmugMug has zero interest in developing a BlackBerry app if a third party doesn't handle it first? :(:
    Hey guys, I never said that :D I just said that it'd be really cool for some 3rd party developers to come up with something.

SmugMug already has a list a mile long of things you guys want lol3.gif
    edited May 11, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Start of Mile....blackberry app....rest of mile

thumb.gif
    Randy P.
    Fuji X shooter
    Thoughts and Images
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Why must it be SmugMug? We have an open API, and there's a big 3rd party program from Blackberry - let's go developers wings.gif
    To be clear here, a Smugshot equivalent could certainly be done by a third party.

A username.smugmug.com/iphone equivalent web interface that is optimized for a blackberry cannot be done by a third party.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited May 11, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Hey guys, I never said that :D I just said that it'd be really cool for some 3rd party developers to come up with something.

I'll see if I can get in touch with some BlackBerry devs to see if they're interested. Are the forums the best avenue for API questions?
  • SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 11, 2009
    dnb wrote:
    I'll see if I can get in touch with some BlackBerry devs to see if they're interested. Are the forums the best avenue for API questions?

Yes. We have a specific area for API development. http://dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2009
    Just out of curiosity, are there really more iPhone users of Smugmug than other mobile devices, or does the SM staff work on iPhone stuff first because they all own one?

Just curious. I have been using Windows Mobile for quite awhile, and will soon be switching to Blackberry.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2009
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Just out of curiosity, are there really more iPhone users of Smugmug than other mobile devices, or does the SM staff work on iPhone stuff first because they all own one?

Just curious. I have been using Windows Mobile for quite awhile, and will soon be switching to Blackberry.
    I can't answer for Smugmug, but one of the attractions for the iPhone is that it has a browser/screen that actually works and makes internet access on a phone actually work and it has a decent SDK for making apps and it has a decent app distribution method - all things that many phones do not have.

Most phones that "claim" to have browsers on them are barely usable. There are other usable phones, but there are also many that are really bad and building internet apps for them is basically a waste of time because people won't use them much at all. I don't have recent first hand experience with Blackberries, but they are probably decent. Many others are not.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited May 12, 2009
    Rhuarc wrote:

On another post, the answer I got was most/all SM staff have iphones and not one BB...maybe that's changed now.

I just know you have two major smartphone camps...iphone and Blackberries, according to recent reports there were more BB sold (1st qtr 2009) than iphones.

Now when iphone hits verizion next year then all bets are off on who will be dominent in the smartphone world.

Sometimes I think the west coast and east coast tech world forgets that there is a whole lot of us tech savvy folks in the middle and for us the coverage for iphones in most areas is horrible due to AT&T so we use and love BBs
    Randy P.
    Fuji X shooter
    Thoughts and Images
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2009
    Now when iphone hits verizion next year then all bets are off on who will be dominent in the smartphone world.

Lots of rumors floating around that AT&T has/is currently in the process of locking up the iPhone until 2011.
    edited May 12, 2009
    Pupator wrote:
    Lots of rumors floating around that AT&T has/is currently in the process of locking up the iPhone until 2011.

Then I guess I will keep my (when I get it in July) BB 9630 for a few years.
    Randy P.
    Fuji X shooter
    Thoughts and Images
  • austinstrobistaustinstrobist Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2009
    I have ATT and I am "in the middle" and I can guarantee that there is no better service carrier out there in terms of network IMHO.

Plus you can't beat the devices and the fact that they run off of GSM versus cdma.

havanese wrote:
    On another post, the answer I got was most/all SM staff have iphones and not one BB...maybe that's changed now.

I just know you have two major smartphone camps...iphone and Blackberries, according to recent reports there were more BB sold (1st qtr 2009) than iphones.

Sometimes I think the west coast and east coast tech world forgets that there is a whole lot of us tech savvy folks in the middle and for us the coverage for iphones in most areas is horrible due to AT&T so we use and love BBs
    website & blog

stefanochoi.com
    edited May 12, 2009
    I have ATT and I am "in the middle" and I can guarantee that there is no better service carrier out there in terms of network IMHO.

Plus you can't beat the devices and the fact that they run off of GSM versus cdma.

There are of course exceptions...:D
    Randy P.
    Fuji X shooter
    Thoughts and Images