Options

Aloha Hawaii

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
im going with my family to Hawaii in April 2007,
curious from those that have been there what "shouldn't" I miss....
I'll probably still have the canon 20D - what lenses would you recommend??

troy

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    windoze wrote:

troy

Kudbegud, Coach-al are two dgrinners you'll want to seek out, they live there.
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    windoze wrote:

troy
    Which island or islands are you going to? The Big Island is by far my favorite. Hilo-Side: you just don't get to see erupting volcanos every day. Lots of hiking. Middle: if you like stargazing, you can take a tour up Mauna Kea to some of the clearest skies in the world. Kona-Side: Great snorkeling/diving, some good beaches toward the north. South Point: Green sand beach is fairly unique, easiest to get to with 4WD.

Maui is nice, but I haven't been for a while, people say it's more built up now. Best whale watching is here... Haleakala sunrise (it was cloudy when we went!).

Oahu... my least favorite island, but the Arizona Memorial is definitely a must-see. North shore has the big surfing waves, but I don't think April is the right time of year. Polynesian Cultural Center. Lots of shopping.

Kauai... South side resorts, north side adventure, cool sites in between. Best helicopter trip *ever*. Cruise the Na Pali coast... One of the wettest places on earth is here, so the weather can be hit/miss. This is "Fantasy Island."

Take your pic with lenses, lots of wildlife and landscapes... Maybe pick up a nice underwater digital, too.
    Chris
  • Options
    ed_hed_h Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2006
    If you can get to Molokai do it, its quite and not that frequented by tourist the most Hawaiian of the islands except maybe for Niihau which i haven't been to. Just googled Niihau looks like you can now do day trips to the island, if you plan on visiting Kauai i think a flight to the forbidden island would be an experience of a lifetime.
    Ed
    A dog is for life, not just Christmas
    http://www.dogshome.org.au/
  • Options
    DigiGrinDigiGrin Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2006
    I was born and raised there .. If I can be of any help .. let me know .. thumb.gif
    I live in Florida now, I left about 7 years ago .. too much traffic, too many tourists .. lol

ChrisJ pretty much covered it all tho .. however, I was never big on the Arizona Memorial ..
    Guess its cause I lived there .. the Polynesian Cultural Center is in my mind a must see ..
    Talk about photo opps .. woah! Go during sunset .. time exposure's would be insane ..
    (insert picture of torch dancing)

Get back to us and let us know where you'll be staying .. where ever it is .. I'm sure you'll enjoy.
    As long as its not Waikiki .. lol ..

Have Fun !!!
    Tomi
  • Options
    reach4urstarreach4urstar Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Oahu... my least favorite island, but the Arizona Memorial is definitely a must-see. North shore has the big surfing waves, but I don't think April is the right time of year. Polynesian Cultural Center. Lots of shopping.
    Oahu is where I always go, as I have family there and it is absolutely beautiful. You'll be surrounded by "shopping" only in Waikiki and I wouldn't recommend staying in town there, although some people like that stuff.

2006 Oahu photos
    2004 Oahu
    2002 Oahu

You don't want to miss the North Shore, it's the best part of the island. Big wave surfing usually takes place in the winter months, but there is a lot of surfing going on on the North Shore all year round. Sea turtles are abundant on the North Shore and bask daily in the sun as well as swim in the shallow waters. If you go early enough in April, you may see the last of the Humpback Whales before they leave for Alaska... if so, that should be your number 1 priority, as they are amazing.

Also check out Hanauma Bay, Sea Life Park, Manoa Falls, Dole Pineapple Plantation, Waikiki Aquarium, the town of Haleiwa on the North Shore, Polynesian Cultural Center, Diamond head volcano for hiking, USS Arizona (good for 1st time visitors, boring beyond that).
    Lara
    Canon 40D

www.digipose.com
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2006
    Ehhh, you're makin me homesick .. knock it off already .. ok? :ivar
    hahaha .. I kid ya, I kid ya .. oi vay .. :(

Nice shots .. Hanauma Bay, The North Shore, Sealife Park .. Sandy Beach .. Makapuu .. sigh ..
    Err, Can you drop by Florida and pick me up on your next trip? ne_nau.gif

Heheh .. whew .. memories ..
    You shoulda seen Paradise Cove, before it was Paradise Cove .. it was really a .. uhh, well ..
    a Paradise .. NO one knew about that place for yeaaarrrrs ..
    It was one of the few places left that I could take models .. and change outdoors,
    never see another human for miles .. the fishing was unreal .. the beaches untouched.
    Ahh yes .. progress, thats what they called it .. phht ..

Minnesota airport? I dont remember that place .. :p

Tomi
  • Options
    chuckicechuckice Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    windoze wrote:

troy

I just got back from Maui and Big Island...which islands are you going to visit? There's nothing quite like Haleakala at sunrise on Maui!
    106927475-M.jpg
    Charles
    http://www.SnortingBullPhoto.com
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/cherskowitz
    "There's no reason to hurry on this climb...as long as you keep the tempo at the right speed the riders will fall back."
  • Options
    reach4urstarreach4urstar Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    DigiGrin wrote:

Tomi

Yeah, it wasn't one of the highlights of the trip. ;)
    Lara
    Canon 40D

www.digipose.com
  • Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2006
    I spent all of 6 months on Oahu, and I was 10 at the time, but these are the things I remember most:

Hanauma Bay! (SOrry if I spelled it wrong)

Bellow's Air force beach. It is white sands and very pretty, I don't know if you can get on with a day pass or not, but when I was there we did....

Pearl Mall, I wonder if the monorail is still there? Then there was the "other" mall that is HUGE is it Alamowana or something like that....? Sorry for the spelling like I said I was 10 when I was there.

Oh one other thing, watch out for the man o wars' I got stung while I was there too!
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    ed_hed_h Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2006
    DigiGrin wrote:
    Ehhh, you're makin me homesick .. knock it off already .. ok? :ivar
    hahaha .. I kid ya, I kid ya .. oi vay .. :(

Nice shots .. Hanauma Bay, The North Shore, Sealife Park .. Sandy Beach .. Makapuu .. sigh ..
    Err, Can you drop by Florida and pick me up on your next trip? ne_nau.gif

Heheh .. whew .. memories ..
    You shoulda seen Paradise Cove, before it was Paradise Cove .. it was really a .. uhh, well ..
    a Paradise .. NO one knew about that place for yeaaarrrrs ..
    It was one of the few places left that I could take models .. and change outdoors,
    never see another human for miles .. the fishing was unreal .. the beaches untouched.
    Ahh yes .. progress, thats what they called it .. phht ..

Tomi

You're right it was a Paradise.
    ed
    A dog is for life, not just Christmas
    http://www.dogshome.org.au/
  • Options
    mopiniamopinia Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 3, 2007
    Aloha Hawaii
    windoze wrote:

troy

Hi Troy,

If you've never been to Hawaii then Oahu is a Must-See place. The history and its people are strongly established here than any other hawaiian Isle. Visit the Iolani Palace, the ONLY Royal Palace in the whole United States! It's also the backdrop for Hawaii 5-0 but I digress. There's also Bishop Museum and the Polynesian Cultural Center as well as Waimea Falls Park (not to be missed!). And hundreds of ancient Hawaiian burial sites dotted all over this one island known as "The Gathering Place". There's PunchBowl National Cemetery. There is an overlook there that will give you a fantastic panoramic view of Honolulu with Diamond Head in the background. In that same spot you can see our State Capitol Building with its volcano shaped roof. You can also see the whole of Pearl Harbor. You may want to drive up Mt. Tantalus for a fantastic view of Honolulu and Waikiki. Great place for night shots! Forget the negative statements from people who think Oahu is one big Los Angeles with palm trees or that it's a waste of time. They have no idea where to look for beauty on this one beautiful island! It may be crowded in Waikiki but there's still beautiful pictures you can take there. You also may want to stop by the Byodo Japanese Temple on the other side of the island. Not too many tourists know about this place. There's also Rabbit Island, Turtle Island and the famous China Man's Hat island. You can also get some great street scenes in the local Chinatown in Honolulu. Here's a sample of my Oahu pics:
    http://members4.clubphoto.com/michael101559/166067/guest.phtml
    Shame on those who can't seem to find beauty on this one fantastic island! I wholly recommend spending at least 4 to 5 days minimum. You won't regret it! Oh, and if you want to try local dishes I'd suggest visiting Zippy's or any place that sells Hawaiian Plate lunches! Don't forget to visit Matsumoto's Market on the North Shore for their tasty Shaved-Ice treats! Have fun! - Mike O.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2007
    Laughing.gif Mike .. you're right .. :D

Oahu is a great place to take in the scenes .. and or, shoot alotta great stuff including models,
    weddings, and just the *normal* tourist stuff.
    Most people I know want a lil privacy, and so, I'll always recommend an outter island.

Glad you didnt let the OP know about Lanikai .. DOH !! Owell, cats outta the bag noww.. rolleyes1.gif
    Thats my stomping grounds .. and well, its the best of the best .. dont forget to paddle out
    to the *Mokes* .. you'll never ferget eet! thumb.gif Greatest diving, kayacking, and sailing
    in the world .. lol

Plate lunch? OMG !!!!! I want some Manapua nowww ..
    Oh and .. some kalua pig, with xtra rice, and gravy on everyyyything .. wings.gif
  • Options
    mopiniamopinia Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 4, 2007
    Howzzit in Florida?
    DigiGrin wrote:
    Laughing.gif Mike .. you're right .. :D

Oahu is a great place to take in the scenes .. and or, shoot alotta great stuff including models,
    weddings, and just the *normal* tourist stuff.
    Most people I know want a lil privacy, and so, I'll always recommend an outter island.

Glad you didnt let the OP know about Lanikai .. DOH !! Owell, cats outta the bag noww.. rolleyes1.gif
    Thats my stomping grounds .. and well, its the best of the best .. dont forget to paddle out
    to the *Mokes* .. you'll never ferget eet! thumb.gif Greatest diving, kayacking, and sailing
    in the world .. lol

Plate lunch? OMG !!!!! I want some Manapua nowww ..
    Oh and .. some kalua pig, with xtra rice, and gravy on everyyyything .. wings.gif
    Howzzit, Digigrin or TOmi!

Auwe! You had to mention Lanikai? Dang! Now every mainlander going to see where us locals go. Ay yaa! My friend is a windsurf instructor and everytime he goes for a visit he likes to go to Kailua Beach Park. If you miss local-kine food just take a short flight up to NYC. We have 2 L & L Hawaiian BBQ restaurants all with scoops of rice and mac to break your gut! You wouldn't believe it but we have a pretty good Dim Sum place in Jersey that serves pretty good Manapua, too. So ono! But head to California. There are tons of Hawaiian restaurants in the Bay Area and of course So. Cal. Lots of Hawaiians in California! Here's proof: shot in San Francisco: http://itsagoodting.smugmug.com/gallery/2266654
    Now don't salivate when you see the plate lunch picture! Hahaa!
    And if you ever visit Las Vegas you must stay at the California Hotel. This place is full of Hawaiians and great ono restaurants serving home-cooked goodies! So where in So. Florida are you in? I lived in NMB on A1A (think 'Haulover' - hehe) before moving to Hollywood, FL. I miss it. Don't know if this Japanese restaurant called Hiro's in North Miami Beach still around but their Tempura dishes are the best I've had. If you like Garlic Crab try the Rustic Inn in Dania. So onolicious! Then again there's Tropical Chinese and Kon Chau's for some great Dim Sum dishes in West Miami. And who cannot fohget Blue Sky Food for some of the best tasting Cuban Food in Florida?!? As you can tell, besides photography, I love food! hehe! Well, I think I've said too much for now. Maybe we should start a topic on Oahu or Food or a combination of both? Have fun in Florida. Too bad there's not too many Hawaiians moving there or else I'd open up my own plate-lunch van!
    Aloha from Jersey! - Mike O.
  • Options
    smhs.imagessmhs.images Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    mopinia wrote:
    Hi Troy,

If you've never been to Hawaii then Oahu is a Must-See place. The history and its people are strongly established here than any other hawaiian Isle. Visit the Iolani Palace, the ONLY Royal Palace in the whole United States! It's also the backdrop for Hawaii 5-0 but I digress. There's also Bishop Museum and the Polynesian Cultural Center as well as Waimea Falls Park (not to be missed!). And hundreds of ancient Hawaiian burial sites dotted all over this one island known as "The Gathering Place". There's PunchBowl National Cemetery. There is an overlook there that will give you a fantastic panoramic view of Honolulu with Diamond Head in the background. In that same spot you can see our State Capitol Building with its volcano shaped roof. You can also see the whole of Pearl Harbor. You may want to drive up Mt. Tantalus for a fantastic view of Honolulu and Waikiki. Great place for night shots! Forget the negative statements from people who think Oahu is one big Los Angeles with palm trees or that it's a waste of time. They have no idea where to look for beauty on this one beautiful island! It may be crowded in Waikiki but there's still beautiful pictures you can take there. You also may want to stop by the Byodo Japanese Temple on the other side of the island. Not too many tourists know about this place. There's also Rabbit Island, Turtle Island and the famous China Man's Hat island. You can also get some great street scenes in the local Chinatown in Honolulu. Here's a sample of my Oahu pics:
    http://members4.clubphoto.com/michael101559/166067/guest.phtml
    Shame on those who can't seem to find beauty on this one fantastic island! I wholly recommend spending at least 4 to 5 days minimum. You won't regret it! Oh, and if you want to try local dishes I'd suggest visiting Zippy's or any place that sells Hawaiian Plate lunches! Don't forget to visit Matsumoto's Market on the North Shore for their tasty Shaved-Ice treats! Have fun! - Mike O.

Mike,
    Great suggestions. I wish I read this when I was there... (jan2-8). Oh well. I have been to Oahu 5 or 6 times and I love it. You had some places listed that I have never been so I am saving your list for next time. But I have to say for shave ice I prefer Aoki's, right next door to Matsumotos. Better ice, less lines, and the owner is a friend of mine:D. I tried to see your photos but they weren't displaying.
    Shawna
    Shawna
    www.shawnaseto.com

Nobody gets in to see the wizard. Not nobody, not no how.

Join Smugmug get $5 bucks off!
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2007
    T-12 hours and counting till Hawaii!!!!

thanx for the good info chris...

Im actually going to cruise around the islands and get off for excursions on each island. Ill be sure to hit the spots you recommend.

troy
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2007
    I'm jealous, Troy. I hope you have a great time!

Aloha!
    Chris
  • Options
    ReeflectionsReeflections Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    Thought I would revive this thread since Hawaii is one of the most photogenic places on earth. All of the islands are a little unique from the others and all make a great visit depending on what your individual interests may be.

I live on Maui and love the idea that rain forest, volcanic craters, clear water, wonderful streams, and goergeous seascapes are all close to wherever you happen to be.

My personal fav is underwater. In fact, uw photography is what I do for a living. Please feel free to ask me any question you may have about visiting Maui or uw photography here.

216788669_nutoj-S.jpg

218385558_B62jb-S.jpg

267071501_xBAEZ-S-2.jpg

275187260_69GHb-S.jpg
    Aloha!
    Mike

Just one more thing to buy and I'll have everything I need. ;)

Reeflections Gallery
    Underwater Photography Workshops & Ikelite equipment
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2008
    Nice Mike ! thumb.gif

The first two .. I've kind of played with. but not for awhile ..
    the 3rd image, I've had tons of fun doing growing up in Hawaii .. however,
    that last image .. umm, you said to ask .. soo, WOW!

Ok, howd ya do it? Camera, lens, exposure .. you name it, I gotta know ..
    Thats awsome .. I know it also has been done a ton of times ... nonetheless,
    great capture man!

So tell me .. mwink.gif

• Options
    edited April 18, 2008
    LMAO mopinia ..

Nah .. you know why? Cuz they only going get los anyhow .. and after they ask for directions,
    the locals only going tell um, "dey don know" or, tell um the wrong directions anyway .. so uhh .. no worries .. :D

By the time they find the place, it'll be dark and well, if you know Lanikai after dark as well as I do ..
    I know .. kina scary huh? .. wings.gif
  • Options
    ReeflectionsReeflections Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    DigiGrin wrote:

Ok, howd ya do it? Camera, lens, exposure .. you name it, I gotta know ..

Thanks!

Shot about an hour before sunset with d300 and tokina 12-24mm(@13mm) w/polarizer + .9 NDF - ISO200 6sec f22
    Aloha!
    Mike

Just one more thing to buy and I'll have everything I need. ;)

Reeflections Gallery
    Underwater Photography Workshops & Ikelite equipment
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2008
    Thanks!

Shot about an hour before sunset with d300 and tokina 12-24mm(@13mm) w/polarizer + .9 NDF - ISO200 6sec f22
    Now that's what I call service .. thumb.gif

Thanks!
  • Options
    DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    Just found this thread, thought I'd say hi. I have been living on oahu for almost 3 years now. And Amazingly enough..I havent shot many pictures of her. Hopefully that will change!