Options

Flowing and falling waters

djamesdjames Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
edited May 25, 2009 in Landscapes
Took a trip to the North and Upper North Falls at Silver Falls State Park in Oregon. There are 10-11 large waterfalls in this state park connected by a walking path. Please give me constructive input on these photos from the north end of the park.

539331392_uotEw-L.jpg

This is the upper north falls reached by a short path from the parking area.

539333300_CY2eG-L.jpg

This is a shot of the base of North falls and the rainbow in the mist

539329082_gHCz7-L.jpg

and finally a shot of North Falls. There is a large cave area behind the falls that includes the main trail.

539333846_svi79-L.jpg

And another View.

539330075_7erRA-L.jpg

This park is a photographer's playground of opportunities.
http://www.djames-photography.com
In this great big world around us, we will find what we are looking for! What we do with it is up to us to decide.
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Zuiko 14-45 Zuiko 40-150 Sigma 50-500 Zuiko 18-180 4-AB800 strobes, 1AB-400 stobe, 4 softboxes, brolly box, umbrellas etc.

Comments

• Options
    xiebuxiebu Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    i love them all , dreamy scenes , love it and speakless thumb.gif
    great job

mvg xiebu
    Canon 40D and some glass.
    In every color there is the light...
    http://users.telenet.be/xiebu
  • Options
    jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    #4 is the best. thumb.gifthumb
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2009
    xiebu wrote:
    i love them all , dreamy scenes , love it and speakless thumb.gif
    great job

mvg xiebu

Thank you Xiebu. I have been working on the slow capture of moving water to create that dreamy appearance.
    In this great big world around us, we will find what we are looking for! What we do with it is up to us to decide.
    Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Zuiko 14-45 Zuiko 40-150 Sigma 50-500 Zuiko 18-180 4-AB800 strobes, 1AB-400 stobe, 4 softboxes, brolly box, umbrellas etc.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    #4 is the best. thumb.gifthumb

Thank you jeff for your vote. I appreciate getting the two thumbs up also.
  • Options
    Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    Really nice use of your shutter speed to slow the water down. #2 and #4 are my fav. very dreamy scene.
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2009
    Really nice use of your shutter speed to slow the water down. #2 and #4 are my fav. very dreamy scene.

Thank you for your comments. I am considering entering #2 into the state fair competition after a little polishing. My daughter has requested a 13 X 20 elargement matted and framed for the Dr's office that she works for.
  • Options
    JustPlainMeJustPlainMe Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    I love #2, actually---I enjoyed it the most. I like how the water fills the frame, it's a very cool and peaceful shot. The first one would have been (even more!) noteworthy had those green branches not obstructed the path of the water.

They are beautiful. I'm going to try some moving water shots in the summer when I'm on the east coast. I might even hike up a fall or two!

Great shots.
    Please ignore my opinions! And if I ask for constructive criticism, please give it to me. I have really thick skin! :huh
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2009
    I love #2, actually---I enjoyed it the most. I like how the water fills the frame, it's a very cool and peaceful shot. The first one would have been (even more!) noteworthy had those green branches not obstructed the path of the water.

They are beautiful. I'm going to try some moving water shots in the summer when I'm on the east coast. I might even hike up a fall or two!

Great shots.

Thank you for your comments and observations. I also wished I could have trimmed a few brancehs from the bottom left. State Park regulations would have loved catching me doing that.
  • Options
    FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    I just love these!! Is there a site to research how to do it and make it look good?
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • Options
    eMOJOeMOJO Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    #2 for me really nice work... I prefer a slightly faster shutter but that's just me, I like what you have achieved here, well done thumb.gif
    If you can't see the bright side of life...
    POLISH THE DARK SIDE

• Options
    edited May 25, 2009
    Flutist wrote:
    I just love these!! Is there a site to research how to do it and make it look good?

Shannon, I do not know of a site to teach you how to do water like I did, but here is the method I used.
    1. Set your camera ISO to the lowest possible setting.
    2. Mount your camera on a tripod as hand holding will not work very well.
    3. Set your aperature for the smallest possible setting. I used F-22 using aperature priority and letting the camera adjust the shutter speed.
    4. I used a polorizer filter to darken the image and cause a slower shutter speed.
    5. I used a remote shutter release so that I would not shake the camera pushing the shutter button.
    6. compose and take the photo.

Dennis