Options

Road from Hana

ajroahkniajroahkni Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
edited May 23, 2009 in Journeys
Wife and I have made quite a few trips to Hana in the past few years...only, I've always been the one that drives, and I've come to the realization that she doesn't like to: a) stop to let me take pictures of the scenery; or b) take the pictures of the scenery for me.

I guess that because we live on island, it's become the destination, not the trip - but those of you who've done the 2 hour drive that's required - the 35 miles, 52 bridges, gazillion waterfalls, thick bamboo forest, landslides...the beauty of the trip, know that there's more to the drive than the destination - lots of different "photo op" bridge/waterfall scenes, different climate zone vegetation phases - it is a pretty good place to be when you want to inventory some memories for later.

So, the last time we went (this weekend), I drove out while she slept (because of her hypersensitive motion sickness condition). I woke her up in Hana town, just in time for us to see our niece's canoe team roll out into the bay. The timing was perfect.

As always, it was wonderful in Hana. Drawing into the late afternoon, she decided that if she does the driving home, she won't get carsick. I'm internally ecstatic - finally get to take some of those photos I've been thinking about!

Unbeknownst to me, her drive plan was built around the concept that if she stays on the wheel and goes as fast as she can, there's no vomitting (for her) once we get home. Wonderful idea! :rofl

OK, we're moving a little too fast - even for my 50/1.7
542887680_uLf66-XL.jpg
but get ready, we're entering the bamboo zone.

I always thought that the dense, contrasting greens of the bamboo forest - given enough time for me to organize my shot - would make for an amazing, "sharp/abstract" pano...
542872531_McobT-XL.jpg

Dude, I got screwed.
542887728_kDjhw-XL.jpg

There's this species of tree that we call "haole koa" that holds such great contrast with it's densely weaved hardwood, vibrant but sparse leaf structure and lichen-strewn complexion - really raw, organic stuff that would make a great, razor sharp, desktop photo....
542873051_kpAK3-XL.jpg

:censored:

Well, finally, if you've taken the drive, you know the place. When you're nearing the end of those freaking hairpin turns, finally heading back to civilization, you recollect - from the drive in a lifetime ago - you remembered that there's a clearing and a pasture where someone cleared a field and planted an organized set of painted eucalyptus trees, maybe decades and decades ago. It looks so out of place and it's awesome! Ten hours earlier, you saw those trees on the drive in to Hana and thought: "Wow, I should stop to take a few shots of those trees when we head back."

I know we're almost there, I know we're almost on the straightaways, and she's been up on the wheel for the last 1 1/2 hours, my knuckles are sheet-white to prove it. I tell the wife: "You did it! We're almost home! Now slow down so I can take a few photos of those cool trees coming up on my side..."
542872737_GfJmJ-XL.jpg

i'm gonna take her back for another crack at it this weekend.....

Comments

• Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    I think we stopped 20 times the time we did it, Always cool things to look at.