Options

DSS #26 Worthy?

richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
edited May 27, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
We were in New York on Friday and I was able to take this shot while at a wedding. C&C appreciated. Thanks! :D

545030649_C2Z5E-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    Chrysler building, right?

Lovely picture. I think it fits the theme (though I have a very broad take on what it means to modify the light).

I'd like to see just a bit more detail in the buildings, but really love the way the light peeks around the edge of the building and the rays fall off to the left side of the photo.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    HI Linda..

I too wish to see more detail on the building... and it seems like you have modified the light by the way you shot it utilizing the building to get in front of the sunlight to create the flare by stepping to the side?

I think this modification would show up better if you gave use some more drama on the color and depth of the building details. Give us more detailed windows...

The clouds.. use some curves to punch the clouds and make them a little more dramatic to balance the wash of light so that it makes it stand out.

Nice photo Linda.. I really like the tall composition here.. well shot. just give us more depth and details...

Kat
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2009
    Thanks for commenting, Virginia & Kat.

Yep, that's Chrysler building. nod.gif

I'll see what I can do about getting more detail out of the building.

Still not sure I want to submit this but it's all I have for now. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    The problem for me here is that the most interesting light is on the less interesting building and takes my eye away from the deco detail instead of up towards it - it's such a shame that the sun wasn't at the TOP of the Chrysler spire instead of against the building to the left... headscratch.gif (just thinking out loud here - I KNOW you'll have already thought that, but... it's early and I'm on the first cup of coffee. WITHOUT brownies rolleyes1.gif)

It's a very beautiful shot, though - I love that rainbow effect you got at the bottom of the flare.
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    I want to like this. The setup is wonderful, in particular the circular sense of the clouds with the sun coming through. But, I don't think it's all that strong. The front of the Chrysler Building is begging to be the centre of attention, it's just to dark. Have you thought about cloning out the green windows at the bottom of the frame as well as lightening the shadows? It might help.
  • Options
    bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    I love cityscape shots! I think this is really a nice shot. I disagree about taking out the green windows. I think it adds to it. Have you thought about using the brush tool in Camera Raw to bring up the exposure of the building? Also, Scott Kelby has a really great 2-Pass Sharpening technique that is really amazing! If you haven't seen it, let me know. It's really easy. You've definitely got something here I think IMHO. :D
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2009
    Here's another shot at it
    Thanks, Michswiss & Divamum. thumb.gif

I did some HDR work on the shot and was able to recoup detail on the Chrysler Building. But then, I was not able to duplicate the nice rainbow flare. I hope I didn't overcook it. :uhoh

545510166_YGA5Y-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2009
    bf2015 wrote:
    I love cityscape shots! I think this is really a nice shot. I disagree about taking out the green windows. I think it adds to it. Have you thought about using the brush tool in Camera Raw to bring up the exposure of the building? Also, Scott Kelby has a really great 2-Pass Sharpening technique that is really amazing! If you haven't seen it, let me know. It's really easy. You've definitely got something here I think IMHO. :D

Thanks, Brian. thumb.gif

There's a brush tool in Camera Raw? eek7.gifrolleyes1.gif Seriously, I didn't know about it. Thanks for mentioning it. I'll take a look. Do you have a link to that 2-pass sharpening technique?
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    ooooo on the rework thumb.gif.

To keep the rainbow (blame the prism - I'm obsessed now rolleyes1.gif), could you blend the new shot with the old one, keeping the shadows in the surrounding bulidings and the rainbow but WITH the(beautiful) added detail and glow you've got on the Chrysler?
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2009
    Oh yeah! Definitely love the rework!!!wings.gif

The 2 Pass Sharpening was in a book I got, but it's super simple.

I will assume your using Windows. I actually made an action for it and then made an undo action for it so that I could go back and forth to see the results. Here it is:

Make sure your pic is 8 or 16 bit. After:

1. Images/Mode/LAB COLOR
    2. CTRL/ALT 3
    3. CTRL/SHT I
    4. CTRL H
    5. Goto Channels on the right and select LIGHTNESS which turns the colors off.
    6. FILTERS/SHARPEN/UNSHARP MASK
    7. Amount 500, Raduis 1.0, Threshold 3

Depending on your picture's megapixel you might want to play around with the amount. Maybe 250. Sometimes I stop with this 1st pass which would prob work for this image. If so switch it back to RGB. If not continue:

2nd Pass:

1. FILTERS/SHARPEN/UNSHARP MASK
    2. Amount 50-60% (usually use 52%), Radius 27.5 (I know sounds crazy), Threshold 3.
    3. Switch it back to RGB.

Play around with the amounts some. Let me know what you think! :D
  • Options
    BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    The rework is excellent! The first shot wasn't apparent how it fit the theme, but the rework definitely shows how light can be successfully (and beautifully) modified in post. Nice work!
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    Wow, I love what you did.
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Wow, I love what you did.
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2009
    Thanks, Benjer, Gail & Karin! thumb.gif

Brian, I tried your recommended sharpening technique and it worked great! It brought out the details on the Chrysler Building perfectly! :D Thanks!!

:whew I feel much better about this pic now.

545931155_xSYsw-XL.jpg
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    You nailed it here girl.... wow... that is definitely a strong contender.....!!!clap.gif

awesome....awesome...

Kat
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2009
    Very nice job! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2009
    WOWthumb.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    :whew I feel much better about this pic now.

Version 1: meh.
    version 2: Now we're talking.
    version 3: Awesome! Time to enter :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    wonderful work on this, and now it strongly fits the theme imo.

i think you may have a grand slam with this one.....thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2009
    Thanks, guys! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    I'm late to this party but may I add my "WOW" to the chorus?

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    jeffgrovesjeffgroves Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    Beautiful Work!
    I am a little late chiming in as well, but will throw in a "ta-da!" as well on the third version. Nicely done.
    I am still learning my way around the forum.

Thank you as well for your earlier support on my first "photo review" posting!