Options

Help me build a starter "Film Dark Room"

Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
edited June 1, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
Hi folks,

I like to see if I can build a cheap darkroom that will be small enough to fit a bathroom "which is the darkest place in the apartment? and then small enough to be able to be put away when I was finished developing film!

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    go to FREESTYLE PHOTOGRAPHIC to have a look see at what all it takes..................... well I started out with a Bogen 67 dichroic enlarger (would take negs upto 6x7cm) and 3 chemical trays for B/W.....for color I had a motorized Unicolor drum system with drums upto 14 inches (11 x14" largest print)........I also had stainless tanks for film developing of b/w film and plastic tanks for developing single rools of color and a large tank for the unicolor system to develope 6 rools of color film at once....

I tool ply wood to make a top to cover bath bub for the print trays and sat the enlarger on the comode.....wasn't ideal but living in a mobile home isn't ideal either most of the time:D

This being the addicting drug it is I quickly wound up with an OMEGA SUPER CHROMEGA DICHROIC 4X5" INCLARGER............

do not get a condensor enlarger and try smutzing around with filters for contrast and such........it is a plin ole huge PITA.....dichroic enlargers are the only way to go.........

I do have a Kreonite 4' darkroom sink, I just found a couple of days ago and my heart jumped into my throat screaming....buy a new enlarger please we miss the smell of chemicals burning the nostrils and throatrolleyes1.gifrofl

Freestyle is a great company.....they saved me bunches on supplies including film.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited May 24, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    go to well I started out with a Bogen 67 dichroic enlarger (would take negs upto 6x7cm) and 3 chemical trays for B/W.....for color I had a motorized Unicolor drum system with drums upto 14 inches (11 x14" largest print)........I also had stainless tanks for film developing of b/w film and plastic tanks for developing single rools of color and a large tank for the unicolor system to develope 6 rools of color film at once....

I tool ply wood to make a top to cover bath bub for the print trays and sat the enlarger on the comode.....wasn't ideal but living in a mobile home isn't ideal either most of the time:D

This being the addicting drug it is I quickly wound up with an OMEGA SUPER CHROMEGA DICHROIC 4X5" INCLARGER............

do not get a condensor enlarger and try smutzing around with filters for contrast and such........it is a plin ole huge PITA.....dichroic enlargers are the only way to go.........

I do have a Kreonite 4' darkroom sink, I just found a couple of days ago and my heart jumped into my throat screaming....buy a new enlarger please we miss the smell of chemicals burning the nostrals and throatrolleyes1.gifrofl
    Thank you Art, What do you think of those enlarger's that has a machine processor? and 4 color tanks? "It would fit int he bathroom" but it would be a SNUG fit"
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2009
    Chile Chef wrote:
    Thank you Art, What do you think of those enlarger's that has a machine processor? and 4 color tanks? "It would fit int he bathroom" but it would be a SNUG fit"
    do not know......link to some please
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited May 24, 2009
    Ok Art, Hang on let me find it.
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2009
    Art, All my teacher said was this "film SLR for all of your assignments and a b/w darkroom with a machine processor"

And if you didn't figure this out, I'm very new to film camera's not digital camera's, I've been around digital camera's all my life pretty much!
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2009
    Chile Chef wrote:
    Art, All my teacher said was this "film SLR for all of your assignments and a b/w darkroom with a machine processor"

And if you didn't figure this out, I'm very new to film camera's not digital camera's, I've been around digital camera's all my life pretty much!

A simple 35mm or 6x7(as I mentioned earlier Bogen {or any brand} 67 ) enlarger and a simple drum system for processing......maybe he was refering to one of the JOBO processors........an enlarger and 3 trays would be much simpler and cheaper than any processor out there......I know we're not supposed to talk selling or buying here but I can't take'em with me when I move....antique white porcelin trays........I feel'em getting ready to added to my sales thread.......
    There was also this thing called a DAYLAB but if my memory servers me correctly it wasactually geared for processing color and color reversal paper (prints from negs and prints from slides)......I do not know if you could either the Jobo or Daylab anywhere for sale in even decent condition any more.........

• Options
    edited May 25, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    A simple 35mm or 6x7(as I mentioned earlier Bogen {or any brand} 67 ) enlarger and a simple drum system for processing......maybe he was refering to one of the JOBO processors........an enlarger and 3 trays would be much simpler and cheaper than any processor out there......I know we're not supposed to talk selling or buying here but I can't take'em with me when I move....antique white porcelin trays........I feel'em getting ready to added to my sales thread.......
    There was also this thing called a DAYLAB but if my memory servers me correctly it wasactually geared for processing color and color reversal paper (prints from negs and prints from slides)......I do not know if you could either the Jobo or Daylab anywhere for sale in even decent condition any more.........
    Thanks Art, I'll check out the Bogen gear and let you know what I come up with,

What's the hardest part I will be doing in a film darkroom?
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2009
    Chile Chef wrote:
    Thanks Art, I'll check out the Bogen gear and let you know what I come up with,

What's the hardest part I will be doing in a film darkroom?

Loading the film on to a stainless spool......you must slightly bend the film to make it fit the "groove" and slid easily......I found plastic reels much easier because (the ones I had) would sort of ratchet, so instead of just pucong the film on I would place my thumb in the middle of the film to hold it then as i twisted the outer (top) of the reel it pulled the film on to the reel........

some find getting good exposures with an enlarger...but for me it was the loading of the film reels.....Medium format was easy as it is larger of course............

Try to buy used.....I know one of my local camera stores usually has several sitting around ........................

Good Luck..............

• Options
    edited May 25, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    Loading the film on to a stainless spool......you must slightly bend the film to make it fit the "groove" and slid easily......I found plastic reels much easier because (the ones I had) would sort of ratchet, so instead of just pucong the film on I would place my thumb in the middle of the film to hold it then as i twisted the outer (top) of the reel it pulled the film on to the reel........

some find getting good exposures with an enlarger...but for me it was the loading of the film reels.....Medium format was easy as it is larger of course............

Try to buy used.....I know one of my local camera stores usually has several sitting around ........................

Good Luck..............
    Thanks Art, I was ebay shopping this morning and I found a bogen basic enlarger for $49 and some tray's, Is that pretty descent?
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2009
    Chile Chef wrote:
    Thanks Art, I was ebay shopping this morning and I found a bogen basic enlarger for $49 and some tray's, Is that pretty descent?
    post a link...........

• Options
    edited May 25, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    post a link...........
    Ok hang Art.
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2009
    Here you go mate.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=110307339828&Category=29985&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

I was thinking about saving up for this one and grab it when it comes on ebay again!
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2009
    This is sooooooo much better:

Omega C 760 enlarger

or this ONE ...............

• Options
    edited May 26, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    This is sooooooo much better:

Omega C 760 enlarger
    Art, That one is a LOT nicer, and around my price range too!

If I get this what else do I need? and all I have to use for the colors and b/w are paint trays? or pans like you would bake in? but made for photos?
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2009
    set of 2 trays

will need a 3rd one....but paint tray could work ........

an enlarging lens ~~ 50mm would be perfect

• Options
    edited May 26, 2009
    Very cool, And the liquid, Then I should be all set for a basic beginner darkroom correct?
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2009
    Chile Chef wrote:
    Very cool, And the liquid, Then I should be all set for a basic beginner darkroom correct?

added link above for lenses and yes that shuld do it except for chemicals.....buy locally if you can....powders and liquids can be heavy and costly for shipping........

• Options
    edited May 26, 2009
    Thank you very much for your help, Art!

I'm going to try to get in good with the teacher so I can barrow an enlarger lens when I'm in college.

I will probably mess up the first 3 negatives though. Since I'm just starting out in in film photography.

By the way what kind of light would you suggest I use for the bathroom?

So it wouldn't be totally dark?
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2009
    Chile Chef wrote:
    Thank you very much for your help, Art!
    my pleasurebowdown.gif

I'm going to try to get in good with the teacher so I can barrow an enlarger lens when I'm in college.
    sound like a plan.......however an inexpensive Rodenstock 50mm new should only be around $20

I will probably mess up the first 3 negatives though. Since I'm just starting out in in film photography.

take your time and your should not ruin any.....buy a 12 exposure roll of some cheap off brand film and practice loading onto developing reel in daylight.....then do it with your eyes closed and visualize seeing it and in no time you can "see" exactly what you're doing even with eyes closed in total darkness.........IT BECOMES A ZEN THING

By the way what kind of light would you suggest I use for the bathroom?
    NONE......IT is always better to work in total darkness with your eyes closed for film developing.......during the printing stage stiol total darkness or a red light.....small wattage (less than 60 watts....maybe 25)

So it wouldn't be totally dark?
    see above

see above in bold..............

• Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    see above in bold..............

For years I had a darkroom in every house I lived in - bathrooms, closets, spare bed-rooms (and exporting the rinsing to a nearby bathroom). Some of the happiest hours of my life were spent in the darkroom - sneaking in when the kids were napping or after they went to bed, into the wee hours, cranking out prints to hand-deliver to the Martha's Vineyard Times - seems so antiquated, now, but was really only 10-12 years ago.

The hardest part was always making the room entirely light-proof (while still allowing a little air in - these make-shift rooms were also difficult to vent properly). All it takes is one tiny pin-hole of light to ruin a roll of film.

To think, I sold all my stuff a few years ago for $100. I kind of regret it, now (but who has the space to store every single thing they've ever had in their lives?), even though I most likely would never set foot in it again. My grandchildren might have enjoyed it someday.

I do miss the smell. Kinda.

Oh well.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2009
    sara505 wrote:
    For years I had a darkroom in every house I lived in - bathrooms, closets, spare bed-rooms (and exporting the rinsing to a nearby bathroom). Some of the happiest hours of my life were spent in the darkroom - sneaking in when the kids were napping or after they went to bed, into the wee hours, cranking out prints to hand-deliver to the Martha's Vineyard Times - seems so antiquated, now, but was really only 10-12 years ago.

The hardest part was always making the room entirely light-proof (while still allowing a little air in - these make-shift rooms were also difficult to vent properly). All it takes is one tiny pin-hole of light to ruin a roll of film.

To think, I sold all my stuff a few years ago for $100. I kind of regret it, now (but who has the space to store every single thing they've ever had in their lives?), even though I most likely would never set foot in it again. My grandchildren might have enjoyed it someday.

I do miss the smell. Kinda.

Oh well.[/quoteI know what your saying Sara, Heck I can't bring all the stuff I have to my new place, I don't have the room for it now, but the bathroom would be a perfect dark room though. I can place place a towel under the door although it doesn't let in any light.

By the way I've watched ghost busters 2 again and I've noticed that all they're photo's where all faked for that scene when they they were in their darkroom!
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    Chile Chef wrote:
    By the way I've watched ghost busters 2 again and I've noticed that all they're photo's where all faked for that scene when they they were in their darkroom!

Betcha that wasn't the only part of the movie that was fake :D.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2009
    sara505 wrote:
    Betcha that wasn't the only part of the movie that was fake :D.
    I agree big time, but I was saying that because I believed in that scene "I thought the dark room scene was real except for the photos that burst ed in to flames".

As soon as I started researching film slr's, darkrooms this past spring.