Options

Turtleography and more, a day in the park.

patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
edited July 1, 2005 in Wildlife
I went hiking and kayaking the other day at a local park. I took along my Canon S1 to take some quick shots. I saw a lot of turtles, probably at least 50 over the course of the day. Here are a few shots from my day away from the computer.

Here are two group photos. I think this one had at least a dozen. They are hard to sneak up on, within 20-30 feet they take off into the water.

18669725-M.jpg

18669695-M.jpg

Just hanging around, being a turtle does not seem too bad. :dunno

18669708-M.jpg

18669727-M.jpg

There must have been something interesting here for them to hang out. :dunno All I do know is there was a snake a few feet away, who I heard slithering, so I investigated, only to see the latter part of said snake dissappear in the water. :uhoh I tried to get a better angle on the butterfly, but it flew away, I tried to track it down, but it kept on flying.

18669685-M.jpg

Onward with my hike, I passed male and female cardinal, woodpecker and a couple blue jays, sorry not photos. They move too fast and I need a longer lens and time to stake a good spot.

This guy was fairly photogenic, except it would puff up its lower neck with some red skin, but not for my camera. :wxwax

18669703-M.jpg

Enough hiking time to get out o the water. This was my first time shooting from the water, a little more than I bargained for. The wind seemed to pick up just when I want to take a photo and move me out of position. Andy I will need to borrow you sherpa and make him get a tandem kayak so I can get photos easier. :rofl

18669690-M.jpg

The turtles would let me get a lot closer when I was in my boat. I was probably 6-8 feet from this big guy (could make a helmet out of him) before he took off.

18669715-M.jpg

I did start to get the hang of gliding and taking photos fairly quickly, this was a parting shot from the water, not a bad day of not working. :clap This was a small test to see if I want to get an Canon 350D rebel XT to take hiking and kayaking and such. I am a lot closer to getting one today. :deal

18669732-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2005
    :eat
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2005
    sounds and looks like you had great time thumb.gif
    Last shot I really like
  • Options
    Trish323Trish323 Registered Users Posts: 908 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    I went hiking and kayaking the other day at a local park. I took along my Canon S1 to take some quick shots. I saw a lot of turtles, probably at least 50 over the course of the day. Here are a few shots from my day away from the computer.

Here are two group photos. I think this one had at least a dozen. They are hard to sneak up on, within 20-30 feet they take off into the water.

Just hanging around, being a turtle does not seem too bad. ne_nau.gif

There must have been something interesting here for them to hang out. ne_nau.gif All I do know is there was a snake a few feet away, who I heard slithering, so I investigated, only to see the latter part of said snake dissappear in the water. :uhoh I tried to get a better angle on the butterfly, but it flew away, I tried to track it down, but it kept on flying.

Onward with my hike, I passed male and female cardinal, woodpecker and a couple blue jays, sorry not photos. They move too fast and I need a longer lens and time to stake a good spot.

This guy was fairly photogenic, except it would puff up its lower neck with some red skin, but not for my camera. umph.gif

Enough hiking time to get out o the water. This was my first time shooting from the water, a little more than I bargained for. The wind seemed to pick up just when I want to take a photo and move me out of position. Andy I will need to borrow you sherpa and make him get a tandem kayak so I can get photos easier. rolleyes1.gif

The turtles would let me get a lot closer when I was in my boat. I was probably 6-8 feet from this big guy (could make a helmet out of him) before he took off.

I did start to get the hang of gliding and taking photos fairly quickly, this was a parting shot from the water, not a bad day of not working. clap.gif This was a small test to see if I want to get an Canon 350D rebel XT to take hiking and kayaking and such. I am a lot closer to getting one today. deal.gif
    Looks like a productive photo day...great shots!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2005
    Thanks for all the comments, Andy are you hungry for turtle soup or is your goose cooked. rolleyes1.gifumph.gif

I guess I will be buying a 350D, since I just committed to a used 10-22. deal.gif Hmmmn, what other lenses should I get. I really want a 10 (yes10)-400 so I don't have to change lenses on the water. :D
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    Excellent shots. Those turtles are not taht easy to capture. thumb.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2005
    clap.gif

18669703-S.jpg

18669732-S.jpg

OK, you convinced me - this is a place I need to visit. I never realized they had any wildlife there. 11doh.gif I thought all it had was a big rock and a buncha beer bellies grillin'.

Thanks for the tour.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Excellent shots. Those turtles are not taht easy to capture. thumb.gif

You are right, the lizard was easier than they were. I need to try again for some really good shots, but it will take time and patience, maybe a frogman suit too. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    OK, you convinced me - this is a place I need to visit. I never realized they had any wildlife there. 11doh.gif I thought all it had was a big rock and a buncha beer bellies grillin'.

Thanks for the tour.

That's on the weekends. umph.gif

I was surprised at how much wildlife I saw. If you get away from everything and sit still it all creeps out. eek7.gif Watch out for snakes.
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2005
    I finally was able to photograph two snakes, of course I only had my S70 with me. rolleyes1.gif11doh.gif They are not great shots, but two in one day is decent.

Brown Water Snake

22864919-M.jpg

Garter Snake

22864929-M.jpg
  • Options
    GatorGator Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2005
    Nicely done! Love the slider turtles and the green anole! That red thing under their neck is called a "dewlap", they inflate it a couple of times and then do a series of "pushups". This is all done to attract a female during, you guessed it - "Mating Season"!!

Those guys are everywhere down here, I notice them being sold as pets in a petstore up in New Jersey a couple of years and had to have a laugh!

Congrats on some lovely captures of what looks to have been a beautiful day on the water!thumb.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2005
    Gross. Did you kill them? naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Gross. Did you kill them? naughty.gif

No I put them in my camelback, figured they liked the water, and hope to someday give them a nice home in someone's tankbag. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2005
    Gator wrote:
    Nicely done! Love the slider turtles and the green anole! That red thing under their neck is called a "dewlap", they inflate it a couple of times and then do a series of "pushups". This is all done to attract a female during, you guessed it - "Mating Season"!!

Thanks, good to know what the dewlap really is. I wanted a better shot with it, but oh well, maybe next time I will have a dslr with me to get some better shots. I was surprised at how easy these two snakes were to photograph vs the last ten that dove in the water immediately.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2005
    Today, this little guy sat for a second to pose. I needed another second to get a better shot but he would have none of it.

23127998-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2005
    Finally I have the longer lens, hoping for a good snake shot, well one was out today, but the couple in front of me scared it off the trail into the bushes. They thought I was crazy for chasing after a snake, but I wanted a good photo, but the bushes one and this is all I got of this Kingsnake.

23127999-M.jpg
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 26, 2005
    Great series Patch. Are you going to use a DSLR in a kayak? I would get mine all wet if I tried to use it in a kayak.

Summer is coming and the reptiles are moving about. Here is my capture of a turtle from last Sunday morning

23080352-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Great series Patch. Are you going to use a DSLR in a kayak? I would get mine all wet if I tried to use it in a kayak.

Summer is coming and the reptiles are moving about. Here is my capture of a turtle from last Sunday morning

23080352-L.jpg

I did try it in the kayak the other day. The problem is that you drift and it makes it very tough to paddle and shoot at the same time.

Cool shot. I need to find one on land so it does not jump in the water on me.
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Thanks for all the comments, Andy are you hungry for turtle soup or is your goose cooked. rolleyes1.gifumph.gif

I guess I will be buying a 350D, since I just committed to a used 10-22. deal.gif Hmmmn, what other lenses should I get. I really want a 10 (yes10)-400 so I don't have to change lenses on the water. :D
    What about the new Canon s2. 12x optical zoom (36-420 or so) with IS? Seems like a perfect hiking/kyaking camera.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2005
    tmlphoto wrote:
    What about the new Canon s2. 12x optical zoom (36-420 or so) with IS? Seems like a perfect hiking/kyaking camera.

I would think it would be very nice. I have an S1, that I need to sell now that I bought the Rebel XT, but I still like my 1DmkII better so I might sell it, but it is so small and easy to carry hiking that I might keep it.
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2005
    For some reason this guy was a bit suspicious of my tripod and camera setup. I guess next time I need some camo fabric to hide it a little. :D

26735365-L.jpg
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    .....Andy I will need to borrow you sherpa and make him get a tandem kayak so I can get photos easier. rolleyes1.gif

no problem. he won't work more than 20 hours a day though, the lazy so-and-so... y'know, good help is sooo hard to find these days lol3.gif