Options

Editing Keywords - Not Saving

MoxMox Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
edited May 27, 2009 in Bug Reporting
Hello.
I've been going through adding keywords to individual photos in one of my galleries. It was working earlier today, but now they aren't saving. Well, they're kind of saving, but not showing when saved. (I know, confusing, right?)

If I click on the edit box, the keywords I've added are still there in the text box, but after saving, they don't show up as links. Not too big a deal, except they aren't searchable either.

My url is www.moxiephotos.com

The specific gallery is "Fauna."

http://www.moxiephotos.com/gallery/8235777_UhZh3#538515693_9AfL8

I've only tried with the first couple of crane photos.

Keywords were working fine in my other galleries this afternoon, so I tried another gallery also - no worky. :/ It will keep the keywords that are already there, just no new ones.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 18, 2009
    G'day Mox,

Keywords are processing and indexed from a queue, at present it seems there is a bit of a backlog from our outage earlier. I'll check out your gallery in a few hours to see if they have been updated and follow up if they haven't.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    MoxMox Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    devbobo wrote:
    G'day Mox,

Keywords are processing and indexed from a queue, at present it seems there is a bit of a backlog from our outage earlier. I'll check out your gallery in a few hours to see if they have been updated and follow up if they haven't.

Cheers,

David

Ah, that makes a ton of sense. Thanks for the speedy reply!
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    This morning I added keywords to a photo. Had the same problems as Mox where they were in the edit box, but didn't show up after saving.

I had to *close the browser window* and reopen it for the keywords to show up.

I don't think this is database lag. I think this is a Javascript bug.

This was on the latest Safari on the latest OS X.
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 21, 2009
    Darryl,

Which method of adding did you use? Bulk, or individual?

--Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2009
    docwalker wrote:
    Darryl,

Which method of adding did you use? Bulk, or individual?

--Doc

Individual.

I originally edited to say the problem wasn't happening anymore. But no, it's still there.
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 22, 2009
    Yep, that is what I hear. It happens on a random basis. I will do my best to track it down.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2009
    I have a feeling it's bandwidth-related.

Now I'm on DSL at home (3-6mbps down/512-768kbps up) and we've got an OC-3 at work, but I still see this problem, but I think there may be routing issues as I've had speed issues before.

Now that they're finally trying to use keywords, other folks at my son's preschool are seeing the same problems (I've cc'ed the Smug Help Desk).

Can you guys try a slower connection (or a simulator of some sort) to see if that's messing up the AJAX calls to the keyword database? Dig that old 56kbps modem out of the closet! Heh.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    darryl wrote:
    I don't think this is database lag. I think this is a Javascript bug.
    I'm pretty certain it's db lab. We index, and it can be quick, or slow, depending on a lot of different factors, Darryl.
  • Options
    EricularEricular Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    I'm pretty certain it's db lab. We index, and it can be quick, or slow, depending on a lot of different factors, Darryl.

Any idea what kind of lag the queue is experiencing lately? I just signed up last night and added about 200 photos, all with keyword tags and valid EXIF date taken times. However, on my home page, my keyword list isn't updated for all photos yet, and my photo timeline only shows 47 photos. When I click on Browse by: (All), all 226 photos show up... just not in the timeline or the keyword list.

I added them about 6-7 hours ago, and I'm totally cool if it might take a long time... I just didn't want to go ahead and add my entire collection until I make sure I'm not doing something wrong.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2009
    Ericular wrote:
    Any idea what kind of lag the queue is experiencing lately? I just signed up last night and added about 200 photos, all with keyword tags and valid EXIF date taken times. However, on my home page, my keyword list isn't updated for all photos yet, and my photo timeline only shows 47 photos. When I click on Browse by: (All), all 226 photos show up... just not in the timeline or the keyword list.

I added them about 6-7 hours ago, and I'm totally cool if it might take a long time... I just didn't want to go ahead and add my entire collection until I make sure I'm not doing something wrong.

Thanks!
    Link to your site (always is important!)...
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2009
    Doh! Sorry...

http://ericsj.smugmug.com/

It looks like everything is chugging along, as now the keyword list has changed. Still showing 47 photos instead of 226 on the photo timeline module, but it must still be in the queue.
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2009
    Still showing 47 photos for me. Just an update! Again, I don't mind if this is how long it takes normally, I just want to make sure it's not user error before I upload a whole new mess of photos.
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2009
    Ericular wrote:
    Still showing 47 photos for me. Just an update! Again, I don't mind if this is how long it takes normally, I just want to make sure it's not user error before I upload a whole new mess of photos.
    photos in unlisted galleries won't show in timeline - have you any like that?
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    photos in unlisted galleries won't show in timeline - have you any like that?

Don't think so... I've got a couple albums in the "Other" category, but none of them are hidden from visitors or anything.

The strange part is that even though it says "Browse by: All (47)", if I click on "All", it shows me all 226 photos correctly. It's just the appearance on the home page that's lagging behind.

I figure I'll just try uploading a bunch more tonight and see if the timeline and keywords get updated or not. As long as I'm not missing some "re-index metadata" button somewhere, I'll just patiently wait for them to process in the queue. thumb.gif

Thanks for the quick and friendly help, though. Let me know if you have any other ideas besides waiting it out.
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2009
    OK, I tried clicking on "Date Uploaded" in the timeline, and then it correctly showed a link for the 226 photos I have uploaded in 2009. Then when I clicked back to "Date Taken", it now correctly shows all my 226 photos, not just 47 like before.

Case closed I guess! Thanks. clap.gif