Options

To Polarize or not...

cdubcdub Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
edited May 27, 2009 in Technique
Hi everyone,

Just curious - when shooting outside under overcast conditions, do you (being you yourself or general convention) use a polarizing filter? I have used one under a couple of circumstances lately, mostly because I didn't think to take it off, but my images are obviously darker and I'm not seeing the benefit.

Just wanting to see what the wisdom of crowds has to say. I'll guess that I ought to take it off (afterall, aren't we talking about filtering out the sun's rays?).

Cheers
CW
(shoot first, then ask questions)

www.cdub.ca | www.cdubphoto.smugmug.com | Twitter | Canon 5DII + Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 580EX II, Gitzo GT1541 + Acratech GV2L

Comments

• Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    Not sure of much benefit except decreasing the light coming in if it's overcast. I generally use it when it's very sunny and there are a lot of glare. I'm not sure with an overcast sky if the clouds would stand out more against the sky as it would on a sunny day.
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,322 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    I'm one who uses a polarizer quite a bit....due largely in part to the type of subjects I like to shoot. The primary uses of the filter are to reduce glare and to ( in a related fashion ) accentuate colors. Because the use of it will cause a loss of light in the 1 to 2 stop range, it can also be used to help darken an otherwise too bright scene. The circular polarizer needs to be rotated to determine it's most beneficial effect.

As to using the filter in an overcast sky situation, I would expect the benefits of doing so would be mitigated to a degree...but not negated alltogether. It would depend, obviously, on just how overcast the sky is. I have found the benefits to prevail even when there is moderate overcast.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    Moving this to Technique for you! thumb.gif
  • Options
    HenryPeachHenryPeach Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    It depends on the subject. The effects of reducing glare and increasing saturation are more subtle on an overcast day, but it still occurs. The difference between a sunny day and an overcast day is like the difference between a bare flash and a softbox; they are different, but there is still plenty of potential for saturation reducing glare. If I can I use the pol. It really helps foliage go from cool green to warm green, and helps cut a little of the overcast blue from most subjects.
  • Options
    Chris GeigerChris Geiger Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    Normally I don't use a polarize filter on overcast days but here is a case where it helped define a reflection in the water.

reflection.jpg
  • Options
    Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    Which type of polarizer?

A circular polarizer will darken blue skies and reduce reflections on water, glass, etc. IF used at 90 degrees to the sun for maximum effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photographic_filter

Cheers, Don
  • Options
    brocotbrocot Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    I did not used the filter here, would I use it here ?
    I have set the exposer - 1 to have more contrast.

542933091_Qa5jz-L.jpg
    D7200/Nikon AF-S DX Nikkon 10-24mm/10-24dx/105mm prime/Nikon 200-500sb900/
    Hello, :thumb Mi Smug :
    http://erikgodderis.smugmug.com/
    http://www.godderis.be
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    brocot wrote:
    I did not used the filter here, would I use it here ?
    I have set the exposer - 1 to have more contrast.

Depending upon the angle of the sun and how your adjusted the circular polarizer, it could have eliminated a lot of the reflections off the water, allowing more exposure and more light from your backlit boat.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Depending upon the angle of the sun and how your adjusted the circular polarizer, it could have eliminated a lot of the reflections off the water, allowing more exposure and more light from your backlit boat.

I agree and would expect it to deepen the shadow areas too if you didn't plan on exposure compensation for the backlighting - there's no free lunch. 1.5 extra stops on the shadow side of anything is pretty deep.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    HenryPeachHenryPeach Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    Don Kondra wrote:
    Which type of polarizer? A circular polarizer will darken blue skies and reduce reflections on water, glass, etc...

A linear polarizer does the same. The difference is that a linear pol can mess with some AF and metering systems, and circ pol do not.