Options

Palouse Falls (my version!)

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited May 30, 2009 in Landscapes
Danny (dseidman) and I met up for sunset at Palouse Falls in central Washington on Sunday. There were no clouds, but the scenery is still pretty incredible, and I didn't fall off the cliff and die, so that's cool. I'm definitely going to eye the forecast and try to hit this place under better conditions, and with enough time to explore other areas.

#1:

548137601_NVGt4-L.jpg

#2: Vertigo!

546238159_7kfAa-L.jpg

#3: About two hours before sunset there was a cool rainbow at the base of the falls:

546211830_yDCvW-L.jpg

And this is what #3 looked like live:

<object height="362" width="640">

<embed src="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf&quot; flashvars="s=ZT0xJmk9NTQ3MDgxMzUzJms9d3pYVEcmYT0xOTMzNjM3X1FMMzRLJnU9Y29zY29ycm9zYQ==" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" height="362" width="640"></object>

Comments

• Options
    rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Great pic. How long was the exposure?
  • Options
    shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Ron, #1 is superb. Is it an HDR? Looks great!

Cheers,
  • Options
    dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    These turned out great! I feel kind of bad for you having to hold that GND filter out in front of the lens on all those shots. Did you also have to do a blend to get that swirling water?
  • Options
    dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Damn, maybe one of us should have documented that giant beetle. I wonder if anyone will believe it.
  • Options
    AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Ron

Very cool images hard to believe a crazy kayaker went off the 180ft falls a few weeks back and survived with nothing more than a sprained wrist but it was well planned.

Ray Still
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    eek7.gif

Omg these are splendid 1st is my favorite !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2009
    Great pic. How long was the exposure?

Thanks, 30 seconds at f/18 and ISO 100.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2009
    shniks wrote:
    Ron, #1 is superb. Is it an HDR? Looks great!

Cheers,

Thanks Nikhil, it was a single exposure (polarizer and 3-stop GND filter). There was some vignetting due to the polarizer but I tried to fix it as much as I could.
  • Options
    scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Ron I thought something was odd about #1 and when Danny confirmed your use of a ND Grad, I knew it was that. The sky just looks funny to me (particularly the dark spot in the upper right corner). Was it a hard edge ND? I think the grad line is noticable about 1/4 of the way down from the top (1/2 way up the cliff face at center of the frame).

I do like the composition that both of you chose. Up until now, the only shots of the falls I have seen don't include the outlet and I think that adds quite a bit to the composition..
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    These turned out great! I feel kind of bad for you having to hold that GND filter out in front of the lens on all those shots. Did you also have to do a blend to get that swirling water?

Damn, maybe one of us should have documented that giant beetle. I wonder if anyone will believe it.

Actually no, it was just a long exposure (30 seconds) due to the polarizer and 3-stop GND filter. I did bracket but I didn't end up using any of the other exposures.

As for the beetle, that thing was ridiculously huge. Probably better that it remains undocumented.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2009
    scole wrote:
    Ron I thought something was odd about #1 and when Danny confirmed your use of a ND Grad, I knew it was that. The sky just looks funny to me (particularly the dark spot in the upper right corner). Was it a hard edge ND? I think the grad line is noticable about 1/4 of the way down from the top (1/2 way up the cliff face at center of the frame).

I do like the composition that both of you chose. Up until now, the only shots of the falls I have seen don't include the outlet and I think that adds quite a bit to the composition..

That's the effect of the polarizer (which was probably twisted too much) with a wide angle lens, not the GND. The cliff face was actually darker near the top. FWIW, I used a 3-stop reverse ND filter over thirty seconds and slid it up and down so there shouldn't be an obvious line. Granted, having the GND with the polarizer exagerrated the banding effect of the polarizer because it gave that part of the photo more contrast.
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Good composition, you guys really nailed it! I agree you must go back with some atmosphere. Really like the swirlthumb.gif
    Live view really pays for itself on edgeseek7.gif I used to get a bit disoriented on the edge looking through view finders.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    dseidman wrote:

lol3.gif You can't say things like that and NOT have evidence, esp as now DSLRs have video capabilities.

Great take on a really gorgeous place, both of you thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2009
    Good composition, you guys really nailed it! I agree you must go back with some atmosphere. Really like the swirlthumb.gif
    Live view really pays for itself on edgeseek7.gif I used to get a bit disoriented on the edge looking through view finders.

Thanks Marc! I agree with live view, I sort of viewed it as a gimmick feature when I first heard of it, but now I wouldn't buy a camera without it, really makes it easy to manually focus and to get compositions in awkward setups.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    lol3.gif You can't say things like that and NOT have evidence, esp as now DSLRs have video capabilities.

Great take on a really gorgeous place, both of you thumb.gif

I didn't have a wide enough lens to capture the beetle in its entirety and I was too lazy to do a pano lol3.gif

There's a lot of canyons in Eastern Washington, especially the south east part of the state (Hell's Canyon for example). Just a completely different landscape than the west side of the mountains.
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Love that first one Ron. You sure have long exposure, gnd, vp, pov, pp, and composition mastered rolleyes1.gif I am so jealous. bowdown.gif