Options

The Rolling Hills of the Palouse (Eastern WA)

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited May 29, 2009 in Landscapes
I took last Friday off and spent three nights and three mornings in Eastern Washington a part of the state that I'm not familiar with at all. Here are some of my favorite shots from Steptoe Butte, a place I'll definitely be returning to in the future. I met up with Danny (dseidman) for the best sunrise of the weekend on Monday morning (shots 2-4).

Most of these were taken with a 100-400 lens, which I almost never use for landscapes, but it came in handy here. Actually in some instances it was too short (on a full frame body). A 2-stop and/or a 3-stop reverse GND were used in some of the sun shots. The wind didn't make things easy either, but it's great watching the sun rise and set from a vantage where you have a full 360 degree view with awesome scenery below. In just a few minutes the light and shadows change dramatically.

#1:

546242879_EDA2b-L.jpg

#2:

546302576_NV9Y2-L.jpg

#3:

546309889_gfHHS-L.jpg

#4:

546301675_BA9af-L.jpg

#5:

547072488_Crwgk-L.jpg

#6:

546257665_fu3nJ-L.jpg

#7:

546260498_znvSP-L.jpg

#8:

546232057_y78Qc-L.jpg

#9:

546204946_wUWdC-L.jpg

#10:

546246100_m4Q8S-L.jpg

#11:

546219126_VyTSD-L.jpg

#12:

546307566_HR74P-L.jpg

#13:

546248271_4jDq5-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    WOW, Ron, these are just great!! You really did a nice job. I really like #5,6 and 8. I knew you guys would get some excellent shots and you did!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Options
    dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Ok, you win. bowdown.gif

Seriously, these are all great! My favorites are 1-4 and 6-10. How many images did you come home with? That must have been fun having to sort through 3 days worth of shooting... You definitely came away with some impressive images.
  • Options
    AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Hey Ron

Very nice now you know what I mean about the wind don't go by weather reports if you are going up steptoe and it's just going to get worse in late June-thru August as far as wind. Time to find the more intimate canyon shots.

Ray Still
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2009
    ront wrote:
    WOW, Ron, these are just great!! You really did a nice job. I really like #5,6 and 8. I knew you guys would get some excellent shots and you did!!

Ron

Thanks Ron!
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    Ok, you win. bowdown.gif

Seriously, these are all great! My favorites are 1-4 and 6-10. How many images did you come home with? That must have been fun having to sort through 3 days worth of shooting... You definitely came away with some impressive images.

I think on an average session (sunrise or sunset) I had about 150-200 exposures, which probably works out to about 100 shots or so after bracketing exposures (and extra exposures due to the wind). The first sunset and the last sunrise had the best light. Really cool place, I'll have to head back later this year.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2009
    Hey Ron

Very nice now you know what I mean about the wind don't go by weather reports if you are going up steptoe and it's just going to get worse in late June-thru August as far as wind. Time to find the more intimate canyon shots.

Ray Still

Yeah the wind wasn't great, but I've shot in windier places, the main problem was I had to use the 400mm lens to get the compositions I wanted so the effect of the wind is magnified (due to the magnification and the larger lens which is more likely to be affected by the wind). I think I'll make a return trip in fall after all the fields have been harvested.
  • Options
    astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    3, 4, 10 and 12. 4 has great layers to it. Great light, and the butte (mountain) sillouetting is great. #3 is great also for the same reasons, just wish maybe there was a little more foreground exposure, 10 and 12 have great lines and patterens in them. Awesome set overall though. What use of grads if any?

-Andy
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Really nice work, Ron and Dan both! I've not heard of this place until recently when you guys totally showcased how gorgeous this place can be.

I can't get over how beautifully abstract the land is out there, and the low angle of the light is just perfect to set it off.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2009
    astockwell wrote:
    3, 4, 10 and 12. 4 has great layers to it. Great light, and the butte (mountain) sillouetting is great. #3 is great also for the same reasons, just wish maybe there was a little more foreground exposure, 10 and 12 have great lines and patterens in them. Awesome set overall though. What use of grads if any?

-Andy

Thanks Andy, I agree that the foreground is a little underexposed on some of these, I'll tweak them eventually, and now that I just calibrated my monitor, I might have incentive to fix some of my other photos too.

Most of the wide angle shots had either a 3-stop hard or a 3-stop reverse GND (some of them are blends of multiple exposures too). The ones that were looking right at the sun had the reverse GND, the other ones the normal GND.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Really nice work, Ron and Dan both! I've not heard of this place until recently when you guys totally showcased how gorgeous this place can be.

I can't get over how beautifully abstract the land is out there, and the low angle of the light is just perfect to set it off.

Thanks schmoo - it's a wonderful spot and one that I had neglected completely until now. Even though it *seems* a long way away, it's only about a 30 minute longer drive than all those beaches in Olympic National Park that I go to all the time. So I'm going to have to stick it and Palouse Falls into the rotation.
  • Options
    astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Thanks Andy, I agree that the foreground is a little underexposed on some of these, I'll tweak them eventually, and now that I just calibrated my monitor, I might have incentive to fix some of my other photos too.

Most of the wide angle shots had either a 3-stop hard or a 3-stop reverse GND (some of them are blends of multiple exposures too). The ones that were looking right at the sun had the reverse GND, the other ones the normal GND.

Never used a reverse GND, might be worth looking into.
  • Options
    justMEjustME Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Wonderful series -just a joy to view these. iloveyou.gif
    Canon EOS 30D & 50D
    Arizona, USA
    http://justineolson.smugmug.com/

..........................................................................................
  • Options
    PHOTOemptPHOTOempt Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    these are lovely - i just discovered these posts through dan's 'sick of these yet?' thread. this looks like a wonderful place to visit, and both of you have really captured the essence. the sunrise was spectacular, but i also really like the details of the patterns and textures of the hills. beautiful work - thank you for sharing, and for getting up so early!!
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

+39 075 878 0642 or on the web at
    www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
    and if you are interested in our italian cooking school here in Monte Castello di Vibio check out www.umbriacucina.com
  • Options
    bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    Wow, these are great. Washington has such diverse landscape, and you've done a great job capturing it. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2009
    astockwell wrote:
    Never used a reverse GND, might be worth looking into.

I've found it pretty useful so far, especially when you want a little more detail in the sky, it's not quite as harsh as a 3-stop GND.

I've only had it for a few months, here's a shot from my first outing with it that convinced me it was a keeper:

503066971_pvqEt-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2009
    PHOTOempt wrote:
    these are lovely - i just discovered these posts through dan's 'sick of these yet?' thread. this looks like a wonderful place to visit, and both of you have really captured the essence. the sunrise was spectacular, but i also really like the details of the patterns and textures of the hills. beautiful work - thank you for sharing, and for getting up so early!!

Thanks! It's rare to encounter such an abstract landscape, there's an endless array of compositions. We lucked out with that sunrise, but on "normal" days with little cloud cover and a lot of sun you can get some cool patterns and textures and shadows when the sun is low in the horizon.
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2009
    bryanj87 wrote:
    Wow, these are great. Washington has such diverse landscape, and you've done a great job capturing it. thumb.gif

Thanks Bryan - Washington is awesome, I've severely neglected the eastern part of the state but plan on remedying that over the next few months/years.
  • Options
    Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    beautiful series Ron thanks for sharing. #4 is a wonderful image I could see this one framed and hung.