Options

images not loading?

specialagentdalespecialagentdale Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited May 29, 2009 in Bug Reporting
not sure if this is a bug with smugmug or with my customization... it happens intermittently in both Safari and Firefox on Mac 10.5.

When I view one of my galleries using the smugmug view style, the larger preview image does not always update when I click the smaller thumbnails. In other words, the larger image is 'stuck' and does not change, no matter which thumbnail I click on. The url does change correctly like you would expect, but nothing updates within the web page itself.

As I said, this problem happens intermittently. I can always 'fix' it by refreshing the page. The problem always seems to go away after a refresh.

-Dale

bryson.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 28, 2009
    This is usually related to the browser cache. I very rarely see it as well when I am having other issues with my ISP. The cache gets out of whack and has to be cleared. Once the ISP is running normally, the problem goes away. You might want to check your connection and clear the cache to see if it helps.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2009
    thanks for the tip. I tried that, with no improvement. I have also checked my site from two other locations which showed the same behavior. This would seem to rule out ISP/cache issues. Would you mind visiting my site and let me know if you see the same problem?

http://bryson.smugmug.com

thanks for your help. this problem is really starting to annoy.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    thanks for the tip. I tried that, with no improvement. I have also checked my site from two other locations which showed the same behavior. This would seem to rule out ISP/cache issues. Would you mind visiting my site and let me know if you see the same problem?

http://bryson.smugmug.com

thanks for your help. this problem is really starting to annoy.

Browser & Version?
    Are you behind a firewall or other security?
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2009
    Firefox 3.0.10 on Mac 10.5.6
    Safari 3.2.1 on Mac 10.5.6

I have confirmed that problem exists on 3 different computers in 3 different locations. The more I test it, the more it seems like a possible problem with my site customization. Links always work correctly when I command-click to open in new browser tab, but they rarely work within the webpage itself, unless I refresh the page at least once (sometimes it takes 3, 4, or 5 refreshes to get a page to work.) wierd.

Have you guys tested any of my galleries to see if you see the same problem?
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2009

Have you guys tested any of my galleries to see if you see the same problem?

Yup, FF & Safari on Mac and IE on XP

What addons or other security have you got going on?
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2009
    Nothing special, just fairly common site customizations (modded the black arts theme to taste for some basic design elements, added a slideshow on the home page, modded the breadcrumb to include a 'gallery categories' link (which is really the '2nd home page'.))

I think this problem may have started when I selected the 'stretchy' option for my galleries, although I am not positive. I guess i could turn 'stretchy' off and see if the problem persists? any thoughts?
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2009
    I meant addons on your computer, browser, security etc...
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2009
    oh, sorry. no nothing special. ...and I have tried this on three different computers, and you verified the same behavior on your computer in three different browsers. This would indicate the problem is not specific to a certain combination of software.
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2009
    oh, sorry. no nothing special. ...and I have tried this on three different computers, and you verified the same behavior on your computer in three different browsers. This would indicate the problem is not specific to a certain combination of software.
    No. We have no problem viewing your gallery, and I expect others stopping here in this thread will not also. I gave you a link to show you I see your site fine in all supported browsers & platforms.

Stay tuned.
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2009
    to clarify, the galleries LOOK fine, the problem is that links don't work. For example, if you click on a thumbnail image, the larger image does not update. The url updates, but there is no visual change to the page. This problem goes away after refreshing the page anywhere from 1- 5 times. I think I described the problem pretty well in my first post.
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2009
    to clarify, the galleries LOOK fine, the problem is that links don't work. For example, if you click on a thumbnail image, the larger image does not update. The url updates, but there is no visual change to the page. This problem goes away after refreshing the page anywhere from 1- 5 times. I think I described the problem pretty well in my first post.
    ack! My bad for misreading :D

going in to look again.
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2009
    If I use this gallery

http://bryson.smugmug.com/gallery/1698032_z4Fod#84227734_2iQ7i

and change the url to

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/1698032_z4Fod#84227734_2iQ7i thus removing all your customizing- all is fine. So, what in your code has changed lately? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2009
    I'm calling in the cavalry!
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2009
    It's looking to do with this script:

YE.onContentReady('breadcrumb', function () {
    bcEl = document.getElementById('breadcrumb');
    myHTML = bcEl.innerHTML;
    myHTML = myHTML.replace(/>bryson.smugmug.com</, '>bryson.smugmug.com</a> > <a href="/galleries" class="nav">Gallery Categories<');
    bcEl.innerHTML = myHTML;
    });

Could you remove and confirm?
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2009
    Rich, you nailed it. Removing that script solved the problem. ...which is great except now I am missing the 'gallery categories' breadcrumb, (which should link to http://bryson.smugmug.com/galleries )

Any ideas how to improve the script or otherwise add a breadcrumb that doesn't otherwise break my page? Thanks for all the help guys.
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2009
    Rich, you nailed it. Removing that script solved the problem. ...which is great except now I am missing the 'gallery categories' breadcrumb, (which should link to http://bryson.smugmug.com/galleries )

Any ideas how to improve the script or otherwise add a breadcrumb that doesn't otherwise break my page? Thanks for all the help guys.
    Give jFriend's script a try to see if it will do the change for you:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1066333&postcount=1
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2009
    I tried the new script - works good enough for me, and no more 'dead' links. Thanks guys! problem solved.
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2009
    I tried the new script - works good enough for me, and no more 'dead' links. Thanks guys! problem solved.
    You're Welcome....thumb.gif

You can thank jFriend too, for the cool script :D