Options

Question for Baldy

winnjewettwinnjewett Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
edited May 27, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
Baldy,
As the master of statistics for the 1,000,000 prints, I am interested in seeing if there is an average magic price that yields the most profit for the photographer.

For instance, an 8x10 sells for $2.99 from smugmug. If one sells for $4, he might sell more prints than one who sells for $40. But certainly he won't sell the 4,000 he needs to make up the difference.

Certainly there are other factors, but I'd like to think that they could be ignored, and still come to some meaningful conclusions.

What do you think?

-Winn

Comments

• Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2005
    I am betting Don will have a better idea on that.

James.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2005
    winnjewett wrote:
    For instance, an 8x10 sells for $2.99 from smugmug. If one sells for $4, he might sell more prints than one who sells for $40. But certainly he won't sell the 4,000 he needs to make up the difference.

Would be interesting to know, for sure. Part of it will be psychological. Price it too low, people will have a correspondingly low opinion of the artwork. Price it too high, and people won't want to spend the money. And some types of work will get more money than other types of work.

I wonder, which one-dollar-range gets the most sales for an 8x10? $10.00-10.99? $15.00-15.99? $19.00-19.99?

Equally interesting, does anybody play the 99-cent trick? Do you price your print at $19.99, or at $20?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:

Equally interesting, does anybody play the 99-cent trick? Do you price your print at $19.99, or at $20?
    Well hell! 19.99 is a bargain! :D

Bear
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    I hate that pricing scheme. All my prices are in whole number denominations except for some small items, which have 50 cent increments.

-winn
  • Options
    GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2005
    Im also interested in finding out what price range is working best for people.

For ebay I usually do the 99 cent trick. When I open a bricks and morter business Ill probably figure out a price that will result in an even number after tax, if possible.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited May 11, 2005
    Hmmmm, it's a really interesting question and I don't have statistics at my fingertips.

The other day I saw two prints sell for $1500 each. Honestly, I haven't paid attention to what's being charged, but my subjective sense is 4x6s are in the $5-$10 range normally.

I'll try to look at the top-selling pros when I get a chance and see if I can spot a pattern.
  • Options
    GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    Hmmmm, it's a really interesting question and I don't have statistics at my fingertips.

The other day I saw two prints sell for $1500 each. Honestly, I haven't paid attention to what's being charged, but my subjective sense is 4x6s are in the $5-$10 range normally.

I'll try to look at the top-selling pros when I get a chance and see if I can spot a pattern.
    Care to post hte pictures that sold for $1500 each and the person that bought them? Hehe, I think a few people here would be interested in talking to them. *smirks*. *is mostly kidding*
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    Baldy wrote:

Wow! That is fantastic. Do you have a way of letting ezprints know that they REALLY need to do these prints well?

Thanks for keeping print prices in the back of your head, and for entertaining my curiosities.

-Winn
  • Options
    XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2005
    Baldy wrote:

Any outcome on this one yet?

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com