Options

The Lost Coast and the Fog Belt

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited May 30, 2009 in Journeys
I can't say it enough, but I love living out on the west coast now. California has some of the most unique terrain, weather patterns, cultures, and geography I have ever experienced so far. For someone born and bred in the land of planned communities and deciduous trees this is nirvana.

Our initial plan was to go explore/hike the San Luis Obispo area but it turned out to be a bust because it's a pretty popular tourist destination. So what do two photographers do? Pick someplace really off the beaten path.

20090528-ctqrs1jbsmq2c82q341htn9fpj.jpg

We left SF Friday evening after work. It's amazing how much stuff we take with us for three days, but then again 90% of it is camera gear so, oh well. The Mini can handle it just fine.

We stopped in Petaluma for dinner. Not the best destination for fine dining, but we had a wonderful dinner of veggie burgers at a place near the movie theater, where the waitress cracked us up with her hand motions and the words "dinner salad."

546269840_e8zEm-L.jpg

Friday night in Petaluma means lots of screaming/shrieking/flirting pre-teenagers. Yikes! We were outta there.

We drove all the way to the Avenue of the Giants, or as we call it: THE AVENUE OF THE GIANTS. Because you can't say it any other way except with a booming voice. :D This is a 31-mile alternate to route 101, which winds its way through Humboldt State Park, a huge redwood forest. It's filled with hippies and some dated tourist stuff, but it's absolutely quaint and gorgeous there. Phillipsville, where we were staying, has a population of 250 and I have no idea where the other 240 people are, because we never saw them.

Since the coastal redwoods only grow in what is known as the "fog belt" of CA and Oregon, there isn't a lot of sun. So we decided the risk to reward ratio wasn't worth keeping photographer's hours, not really. Each day dawned overcast and flitted in and out of sun and dreary. The redwoods also grow so high and densely together that sun, if any, reaches the ground in little dapples.

546287756_5WSqJ-L.jpg

546271435_WhzYv-L.jpg

The trees, when they finally fall, make ginormous bridges across creeks and the forest floor. It's wonderful here: cool and breezy and quiet. And as the wind blows you can hear the rustle of far-away leaves and the occasional creaking of giant trunks, just like a ship in the waves.

546275903_rGkeN-L.jpg

My puppy Zach enjoyed tearing through the woods. Although he loves the social aspect of the SF dog parks, I think he feels a bit cramped (just like me.) We saw lots of wildlife, such as this weird millipede:

546292156_fmkZ4-XL.jpg

Cap'n Zach on the deck:
546304262_NWysT-XL.jpg

We drove up to Eureka for lunch because one of our favorite breweries is there: Lost Coast Brewery. Their 8-Ball Stout is amazing, but hard to find outside of Eureka. We were seated upstairs, which was great for people watching at the bar below:

546305756_65kLL-XL.jpg

The waitress suggested that we go to Old Town Coffee afterwards because I needed a place that had wireless but also had outdoor seating for the dog. We drove there, which wasn't too far away, and camped out for my 3-hour stint at work. We crossed the plaza on the way there, and there was a strange cloud of pigeons circling around.

546310178_MhHxS-L.jpg

Not 30 seconds after I took this shot, a hawk snatched a blackbird and flew away with him. Lives are so short in the wild. I'm not sure if the pigeons' flight had anything to do with the warning of imminent danger, but I feel that it did.

Zach was a favorite amongst the crowd. This lady drinking coffee at the shop gave him a huge doggy cookie. After he ate it, he curled up under the table and snoozed:

546320332_v8eJd-L.jpg

We didn't realize it, but the Kinetic Sculpture Race was going on and the finish line was right across the street from us! The town had turned out to watch. Some of them were seriously impressive.

546323736_Av2MY-L.jpg

There was a giant chicken:

546328233_WzhR2-L.jpg

And there was even a fire-breathing dragon. It sounds ridiculous but it was so cool.

After work, we packed up and studied the map. There was a tiny little loop of road that headed south out of Fortuna through the mountains and back towards Humboldt State Park. It nipped a bit down the Lost Coast, and we figured that we'd scout the area for shooting/hiking the next day.

The road was amazing. South of Ferndale (a Victorian town that I am convinced is haunted) it's all rainforest-y mountains, permanently shrouded in heavy wet fog:

546332140_pPdbb-XL.jpg

I have many more photos form the following day, but we grew rather attached to this particular curve in the road. We saw an amazing amount of wildlife in such a desolate-looking place. Deer, of course, including a tiny Bambi-looking fawn, hawks, bluebirds, vultures, even a peacock! (our true screech-to-a-halt-and-say-WTF? moment)

Once we hit the coast it was so beautiful we had to get out and walk around. There aren't many opportunities to do this, since the road is one lane in each direction with private cow pastures on both sides. Not very hiker-friendly, but there are ways.

The beach here is black, and not made of sand but very small rocks. Hiking is twice as hard, as my gluts told me the next day!

Zach loves smelling the fresh ocean breeze:

546603099_dB8rj-L.jpg

And when you go inland, the collision of ocean and mountain air can be tumultuous:

546613995_hWrcD-L.jpg

The clouds broke up as we drove east to make a rather pretty sunset. Of course, we weren't anywhere that had a nice enough foreground, so you just make do with country roads and cow pastures:

546202912_FrtZu-L.jpg

The roads were so steep, twisty and turny that Zach kept sliding off of his pillow and getting sucked into the well at the back, heeehee!

546617341_LqJ4y-L.jpg

The following morning we, by complete accident, somehow found ourselves hiking the exact same grove of redwoods that we'd explored the previous day. Brand new day! Happy happy joy!

547297689_LrtUU-L.jpg

I also never took any quintessential giant tree shots, but this gives you some idea:

547298647_BtJD8-XL.jpg

This is the shot I wanted to get. As I said in my other thread, Marc's father has a shot that I just love and it goes something like this. But his version has better composition, better color, and of course, better dynamic range!

547305090_Fmb2Z-XL.jpg

We headed north, back out the loop of road that took us south out of Fortuna to Ferndale, then up and across the mountains to the ocean. After a really overpriced mediocre lunch in Victorian Ferndale. (Yikes.)

The mountaintops are permanently in fog. It's beautiful. I imagine that this is what most of the PNW looks like:

547687553_KeQJt-L.jpg

As we passed those clouds and were in view of the ocean, the sun tried to peek out here and there. All of a sudden we heard a clicking, and I think Zach knocked Trav's camera over in the back seat so something was hitting the shutter. It was taking a bunch of photos of nothing so we had to pull over and rescue it. Zach played innocent, and I took the opportunity to photograph the hills, sunspots, and cow patties:

547685227_wcBzo-L.jpg

The view behind me was actually really gorgeous, too, but I didn't do it justice.

We got to our sunset spot a little early, as often happens when you become more familiar with a road. When the sun got a little lower we got our stuff and hiked out the beach:

547688182_mJTPJ-L.jpg

This is the westernmost point of the continental US. The ocean is really rough here, extremely dangerous. There used to be a light house here but it got moved for some reason to a tourist town 30 miles south. There's some ruins out in the water about a quarter mile off, which look fascinating:

547687576_2LBnn-L.jpg

546265646_qi6z7-L.jpg

We had a lot of fun exploring the strange rocks, battered sea life and the first tidal pools I've ever seen in my life!

547686148_f4gj8-L.jpg

To get some of the shots we had to climb the sharp rocks. Nuthin' at all like Kelsey and John, of course:

547686830_qefhH-L.jpg

But the clouds covered the sun and the western horizon, so we cut our evening short and headed back.

Good weekend. Saw some beautiful things, had intensely amusing moments and flashes of insight and realization, and it was just nice to get out of traffic for a while... until we hit Marin county, of course. Well, it was nice while it lasted. Thanks Ian for the suggestion and the recommendations on the route! :thumb

I hope everyone else had a great weekend, too.

Comments

• Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    Great shots schmoo. Almost feels like I was there :D
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited May 27, 2009
    I'm coming to steal your dog :D

Glad you had a good time in one of my favorite places, the North Coast.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    this was a wonderful thread i really enjoyed it :)
  • Options
    a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2009
    Great trip and entertaining writing.

Zach looks like he had the most fun of all and he's a shooter too!

Terrific post, I look forward to more of your California Journeys.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • Options
    JChurillJChurill Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Great shots. #2 in the Redwoods is sharp! Zach is just taking it all in! Oh and what a great road trip with your Mini! thumb.gif
    Have an 2003 S myself! 15915drive.gif
    Blending The Arts!
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2009
    JChurill wrote:
    Great shots. #2 in the Redwoods is sharp! Zach is just taking it all in! Oh and what a great road trip with your Mini! thumb.gif
    Have an 2003 S myself! 15915drive.gif

Awesome! Heck yeah, these roads are a dream in the Mini S. I could not imagine having quite as much fun in my old Jetta!

My husband would love us to go back on his bike, and go camping. We're still discussing that. lol3.gif

Hey Ian, I'm surprised you haven't met Zach already! Gotta fix that. :D
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2009
    Great shots schmoo. Almost feels like I was there :D

Thanks Steve! How was the SMUGs meeting the following day? I knew I couldn't make it, or to a pre-shootout, unfortunately.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Watching Zach's poses and expressions, clap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    Ooh! Nice journey, Schmoo! And I love your dog!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    tinygreenalientinygreenalien Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited May 28, 2009
    Love the shots, love the story... I can't imagine living near places like this, I admit I'm very jealous!

-Jessa
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2009
    Love the shots, love the story... I can't imagine living near places like this, I admit I'm very jealous!

-Jessa

Hi Jessa and thanks! I just had to say that I love your username. That is fantastic lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2009
    Schmoo, can I have Zach? Please?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2009
    rolleyes1.gif the dog is mine lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif the dog is mine lol3.gif

Ian, can I have Zach? clap.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2009
    Ian, can I have Zach? clap.gif
    After I steal him, I'll let you know lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2009

rolleyes1.gifSomehow I failed to see this bidding war, even after Ian pinged me personally about it.

Zach's a great dog and he's pretty much the quintessential road trip companion, IMO, but like all kids he wasn't always that way and it's taken 7 years of patience and cultivation. lol3.gif

I have to say though, I'm not sure he could top Spirit, who has the ultimate doggy life!
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2009
    I take that as a decline. :cry

I will outbid, Ian!

Just how long was your trek? From the look of your map it looks quite the distance!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2009

I will outbid, Ian!

Just how long was your trek? From the look of your map it looks quite the distance!

I was just checking out your own Journey to Italy. Wow, fantastic and I am so jealous thumb.gif

Our trek wasn't that far, actually. It's about 3 hours from SF to Phillipsville, and then I'd say its about an hour or so to Eureka from there, if you take the highway.

Going down the little road (211) took a little longer. We weren't timing it but I'd say about 4 hours for the whole loop, but then again we did stop a lot so who can say?
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2009

I will outbid, Ian!

It's a very beautiful drive if you're able to stop and look around. We are blessed to live in such a gorgeous place.

Oh. And there's no bidding. I'm stealing the doggie :D
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    Oh. And there's no bidding. I'm stealing the doggie :D

Cool, you're coming to the city! A round at Zeitgeist, then? lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Cool, you're coming to the city! A round at Zeitgeist, then? lol3.gif
    Have you been yet?

It's pretty cool. I might train up and back--it's like a short cab ride and walk for me.
  • Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    Have you been yet?

It's pretty cool. I might train up and back--it's like a short cab ride and walk for me.

Name the day and we are there! :)
    And, yes, on Steph's birthday we stopped in for all of 10 seconds to check it out, but it was so packed we chose to chill at home instead. IIRC there was some sports event going on that had everyone in a tizzy. Even the courtyard was cheek-to-jowl.
    Travis
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2009
    zweiblumen wrote:
    Name the day and we are there! :)
    And, yes, on Steph's birthday we stopped in for all of 10 seconds to check it out, but it was so packed we chose to chill at home instead. IIRC there was some sports event going on that had everyone in a tizzy. Even the courtyard was cheek-to-jowl.

On Friday evenings, the place is packed to the rafters. To say it was popular would be an understatement :)