Options

Ia(sRGB) / II(AdobeRGB) / IIIa(sRGB)

dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
edited May 31, 2009 in Technique
I've had my D80 set for IIIa(sRGB) ever since I got it. I don't remember if I set it there or it was a default setting. I'm reading a book that suggests always shooting in AdobeRGB and was wondering what everyone else does.

Comments

• Options
    edited May 30, 2009
    Was just reading through some items found here searching for Adobe RGB and it seems if I shoot RAW it doesn't matter?
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    dlscott56 wrote:
    Was just reading through some items found here searching for Adobe RGB and it seems if I shoot RAW it doesn't matter?
    Nothing matters when you shoot RAW, except
    • framing
    • ISO
    • aperture
    • shutter speed, and
    • focal length.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited May 30, 2009
    I tend to shoot all paying projects in RAW and then process in 16 bit sRGB color space. While Adobe RGB does have a "wider gamut", sRGB tends to have better distribution in those values relating to flesh tones. Likewise, if you process in Adobe RGB and then have to convert to sRGB for printing or Internet usage, any benefit that Adobe RGB might have provided is largely nullified in the conversion.

Most of the discussion relating to which is "absolutely" better is esoteric because, while the differences might be measurable, they are largely not visible.

My recommendation is to use 16 bit sRGB as the workspace unless you are "publishing" the works using CMYK color seperation, then Adobe RGB might have an edge. (Saturated greens on an inkjet printer may also look better in Adobe RGB.) 16 bit tonal gradations are ultimately more important than either color space so make sure you save intermediate files as 16 bit PSD or 16 bit TIF/TIFF.

Also, it's important to save original RAW files for those images which might have to be processed diferently in the future. (Some color houses prefer to do their own processing and may internally use ProPhoto RGB, for instance. In that case they will use your images for guidance in tonality and for cropping, etc.)

In the mean time you might review:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/sRGB-AdobeRGB1998.htm
    http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/srgb-versus-adobe-rgb-debate.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Nothing matters when you shoot RAW, except
    • framing
    • ISO
    • aperture
    • shutter speed, and
    • focal length.
    Thanks Nik
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I tend to shoot all paying projects in RAW and then process in 16 bit sRGB color space. While Adobe RGB does have a "wider gamut", sRGB tends to have better distribution in those values relating to flesh tones. Likewise, if you process in Adobe RGB and then have to convert to sRGB for printing or Internet usage, any benefit that Adobe RGB might have provided is largely nullified in the conversion.

Most of the discussion relating to which is "absolutely" better is esoteric because, while the differences might be measurable, they are largely not visible.

My recommendation is to use 16 bit sRGB as the workspace unless you are "publishing" the works using CMYK color seperation, then Adobe RGB might have an edge. (Saturated greens on an inkjet printer may also look better in Adobe RGB.) 16 bit tonal gradations are ultimately more important than either color space so make sure you save intermediate files as 16 bit PSD or 16 bit TIF/TIFF.

Also, it's important to save original RAW files for those images which might have to be processed diferently in the future. (Some color houses prefer to do their own processing and may internally use ProPhoto RGB, for instance. In that case they will use your images for guidance in tonality and for cropping, etc.)

In the mean time you might review:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/sRGB-AdobeRGB1998.htm
    http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/srgb-versus-adobe-rgb-debate.html
    Good advice and links, thanks Ziggy.