Weekly Assignment #119: Hairlight

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited May 31, 2009 in Assignments
One of the (many) things that differentiates a decent portrait from a snapshot is a hairlight. It you pay a close attention, in almost every movie scene there is always a light from the back highlithing the character profile.

This time around your task is to have a capture of your subject with a hairlight. Your subject can be human, pet or whatever (vase, flower, figurine, etc.).

If you don't have studio lights - not a problem. It can be a worklight, a sun, pretty much anything. If you own a light meter - keep it about 1 stop higher that your fill/main. If you don't - use your gut instinct.
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    This time around your task is to have a capture of your subject with a hairlight. Your subject can be human, pet or whatever (vase, flower, figurine, etc.).

If you don't have studio lights - not a problem. It can be a worklight, a sun, . . .

Any old sun will do? mwink.gif:D

This is an assignment I should do. Gimme a little time and I'll have one to submit. thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    Went looking around the house for models and they all ran the other direction. So, this is the best I could find.

551204024_mY7SN-M.jpg
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    dlscott56 wrote:
    Went looking around the house for models and they all ran the other direction. So, this is the best I could find.
    Thank you! thumb.gif
  • Carolina_BlueCarolina_Blue Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    This is the only guy who would sit for me...

puppyhair2.jpg
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    This is the only guy who would sit for me...
    Familiar situation with the lack of models..

However, on a larger point, an important thing about the hair light is to limit it to, uhm, hair/dead area only, as opposed to flooding the whole scene and bg with it.... ne_nau.gif