Nice photo thumb.gif

:D - Thanks.
    Anybody can do it.
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    wfeller wrote:
    :D - Thanks.

Your welcome...I'm glad it didn't offend you, but the words just came to me as I read your verse and looked at your photo.
  • Options
    wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Your welcome...I'm glad it didn't offend you, but the words just came to me as I read your verse and looked at your photo.

At least you didn't say it sucked :)

What I was trying to do with this (and it looks better with a white background) is make the shadow appear as if it were another plane instead of a corner and could be walked around.

Verse is fun to play with.

I built a mountain in my backyard
    giving relief to the flat ground
    but to climb it was too hard
    so I thought I'd go around.

The last couple years the, "What were you thinking?" question has come up. Trying to remember what I was 'thinking', a lot of it is actually little rhymes- Or at least titles that rhymes can be made from. Anyway, I just finished up a project where 18 of 24 photos have verse and poems as interpretive statements attached to them. I find I've really been getting into it. When I get tired of this batch of candy I'll find another.
    Anybody can do it.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2009
    wfeller wrote:
    At least you didn't say it sucked :)

What I was trying to do with this (and it looks better with a white background) is make the shadow appear as if it were another plane instead of a corner and could be walked around.

Verse is fun to play with.

I built a mountain in my backyard
    giving relief to the flat ground
    but to climb it was too hard
    so I thought I'd go around.

The last couple years the, "What were you thinking?" question has come up. Trying to remember what I was 'thinking', a lot of it is actually little rhymes- Or at least titles that rhymes can be made from. Anyway, I just finished up a project where 18 of 24 photos have verse and poems as interpretive statements attached to them. I find I've really been getting into it. When I get tired of this batch of candy I'll find another.

Oh no...I'd never say your photo wasn't good. Everyone's photo is good, either in their eyes or in others. Yours here made me think of a fort I would build when I was younger. And yes, we would walk around the top of it. I do see a ledge at the top.

You have my interest peaked now...where did you take this photo? Was it part of a hill, mountains edge or building?

I always say there is a story behind every photo and your verses give play to the story even if answering the question "What were you thinking" Ha...I've had that statment said to me many times in my lifetime. Maybe I should start adding verse to what I'm doing. That way when I'm asked I'll have a come back that will make them think :D

When the ground is flat
    Children see mountains
    Driving tractors and trucks
    Making trails around.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Oh no...I'd never say your photo wasn't good. Everyone's photo is good, either in their eyes or in others. Yours here made me think of a fort I would build when I was younger. And yes, we would walk around the top of it. I do see a ledge at the top.

You have my interest peaked now...where did you take this photo? Was it part of a hill, mountains edge or building?

I always say there is a story behind every photo and your verses give play to the story even if answering the question "What were you thinking" Ha...I've had that statment said to me many times in my lifetime. Maybe I should start adding verse to what I'm doing. That way when I'm asked I'll have a come back that will make them think :D

When the ground is flat
    Children see mountains
    Driving tractors and trucks
    Making trails around.

Thanks- I have a "No ugly babies," policy in my real estate work. No matter how thrashed a home is, I only have good things to say to either/or the owner or broker. :)

This was a part of an old stamp mill at one time I believe. The background was rural-turning-urban around it but the shadows were interesting.

I think coming from using my photos for documenting historic and geological points of interest it's affected my work beyond stand alone redemption. I don't mind. It should make for an interesting book one day, albeit the verse may be an acquired taste.

-
    Anybody can do it.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2009
    wfeller wrote:
    Thanks- I have a "No ugly babies," policy in my real estate work. No matter how thrashed a home is, I only have good things to say to either/or the owner or broker. :)

This was a part of an old stamp mill at one time I believe. The background was rural-turning-urban around it but the shadows were interesting.

I think coming from using my photos for documenting historic and geological points of interest it's affected my work beyond stand alone redemption. I don't mind. It should make for an interesting book one day, albeit the verse may be an acquired taste.

-

"No Ugly Babies" is a good policy :D

I've never seen a stamp mill before. I found the link very interesting. Thanks! Did you take other photos around there? Love to see them.

I think photographs documenting historic interests or whatever will make an interesting book. As for the verses...gotta us them too thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    "No Ugly Babies" is a good policy :D

I've never seen a stamp mill before. I found the link very interesting. Thanks! Did you take other photos around there? Love to see them.

I think photographs documenting historic interests or whatever will make an interesting book. As for the verses...gotta us them too thumb.gif

Not so much in that immediate area per se, but the last 14-1/2 years, all over the Mojave Desert and the mountains around it. Starting tomorrow on a photo project of a somewhat local scenic highway that I want to take my time on through the summer. I figure it'll be nice to work up there when it gets hot. It was about 90 here today- so starting on it will be fine (and about 75). My client is in no hurry. I think lots of sunsets will be nice.

The shot reminds me of this one a bit I think;

400s1305.jpg

A quick story about one of the places along the mountain highway I'll be shooting this summer.

A hermit I'll call Tom Stanley lived on the side of a mountain for 62 years. In those years he discovered a mine and sold it off and lived on the little he made from the sale over the years as well as hunting bighorn sheep, deer and an occasional bear. He was a recluse and unfriendly and would often take pot shots at folks he didn't know to keep them away from his mountain. His only friend was the postmistress down in the valley on the other side of the mountain. Some said they were lovers and some said they didn't care if they were or not. But old Tom got sick one day and she packed him down the mountain and into the humanity that was somewhere in the 1920s Los Angeles.

While he lay near death he asked if he could be buried in the Veterans cemetery. The officials checked and said they couldn't find his name on the roles. He said he had served in the Union Army during the Civil War and they should check under the name of Thomas Stanley Ritter. They did and they found his name. Of course they asked why he didn't give them that name in the first place?

"Hell, I forgot I had a last name", he explained.

"I ain't used it in so long. I'll tell you why too, and if you like you can hang me before you bury me."

Old Tom went on to tell how after the war he and a pal had hooked up and did some mining in Arizona. One time they went into town to get some supplies. When they came back they found three claim jumpers had ransacked their cabin and was hauling ore out of their mine. So him and his friend killed 'em all and buried them in the mine and threw some rocks on their thieving carcasses. They was reasonably young and they got scared of being hanged. So they flipped a coin and his partner went east and he went west. He thought the mountain he had been seeing as he crossed the desert would be a fine place to hideout and watch for the law. He stayed up there all that time and never used his last name whenever he did talk to someone.

The officials told the sheriff his story and went to check it out with Arizona. They checked the records and got back ahold of the sheriff. Old Tom Stanley died before the sheriff returned with the news that Arizona knew nothing about the murders, and Tom lived on the mountain all those years for nothing. Well, maybe it was worth something, because the air was clean, it was quiet and, certainly beautiful up there. Plus he lived to a pretty good age. Tom was entitled to be interred with his brothers-in-arms and will rest in peace with them throughout eternity.

-Should of typed that up on Memorial Day :)
    Anybody can do it.
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2009
    I like how you gave your photo a red color to it. Shades of one color can give a photo a meaning in itself. I've taken that road out of Barstow long ago heading to TX. Our little tv in the back of the station wagon melted rolleyes1.gif We drove from Monterey to San Angelo when my hubby was in the service. Some day I'm going to have to make a trip to the Mojave Desert.

That is just an amazing story about Tom Stanley. If only the mountains could talk -- we would hear many tales of people that hide out there. What a life to live for him. Better then being hung, but he jailed himself within the walls of the mountains instead. I'm happy he was able to be buried with his brothers-in-arms and yes....a great memorial day story. Wonder what ever happened to his buddy?????

You'll be photographying a local scenic highway. I started taking photos of Hwy 81 here in ND -- not a scenic highway tho. It runs along side of the interstate, but was the only north-south road on the eastern side of the state many years ago. I love traveling that road, but with the flooding it was so hard to drive it. Now that the flooding is all gone for the most part I'll be able to take it from the ND/SD border up to Canada. Just waiting for summer to arrive :D I'm going to have to talk with people along the way and see if there are any interesting stories...I'm sure there won't be any as interesting as Tom Stanley's story.

Every photo has a story -- that's what is so wonderful about photography. Enjoy getting your photos on the scenic highway thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2009
    Ah yes, yesterday went well! Nice just to cruise and snap trails and saddles and generally-touristy type shots. Scouted out a few locations for some good shots when the light and sky is good--did some of the weird stuff I like too. Ran into a friend I hadn't seen in a few years and got the lowdown on a few other locations. Feels like home up there.
    Anybody can do it.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2009
    wfeller wrote:
    Ah yes, yesterday went well! Nice just to cruise and snap trails and saddles and generally-touristy type shots. Scouted out a few locations for some good shots when the light and sky is good--did some of the weird stuff I like too. Ran into a friend I hadn't seen in a few years and got the lowdown on a few other locations. Feels like home up there.

Happy to hear you had a good day of shooting. And meeting a friend you hadn't seen in awhile is an added bonus :D

Look forward to seeing some of the photos you took.

When your able to take photos in a place that is like "home" to you -- well your photos will show the love you have for the place.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Happy to hear you had a good day of shooting. And meeting a friend you hadn't seen in awhile is an added bonus :D

Look forward to seeing some of the photos you took.

When your able to take photos in a place that is like "home" to you -- well your photos will show the love you have for the place.

I posted the first one here.

It was a very casual day. I had to work an hour or so, but the town is nearby. Drove up and took a couple shots then had a nice lunch of smoked oysters and lorna doones checking out the view.

The last 22 years or so I've lived in the desert. I grew up on the otherside of these same mountains (30 miles east of L.A.) and used to go up to them frequently when I was a kid. Over the last 15 years or so in my little real estate photography thing I've met quite a few people in the little mountain community there. Funny thing is, I only see them out in either the desert or mountains when I see them. When I visit the mountains it's like going home. When I'm in the desert, it's like being home. My wife pries me away every year or so for a trip to see if the beach is still there. That brings back memories of its own also- we had to have someplace to go when we ditched school.

I try to stay out of the "humanage." SoCal is pretty incredible as long as I manage that.
    Anybody can do it.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2009
    wfeller wrote:
    I posted the first one here.

It was a very casual day. I had to work an hour or so, but the town is nearby. Drove up and took a couple shots then had a nice lunch of smoked oysters and lorna doones checking out the view.

The last 22 years or so I've lived in the desert. I grew up on the otherside of these same mountains (30 miles east of L.A.) and used to go up to them frequently when I was a kid. Over the last 15 years or so in my little real estate photography thing I've met quite a few people in the little mountain community there. Funny thing is, I only see them out in either the desert or mountains when I see them. When I visit the mountains it's like going home. When I'm in the desert, it's like being home. My wife pries me away every year or so for a trip to see if the beach is still there. That brings back memories of its own also- we had to have someplace to go when we ditched school.

I try to stay out of the "humanage." SoCal is pretty incredible as long as I manage that.

Posted something on your other thread about your photo :D

California...I loved it when I lived there and would go back in a heartbeat. Deserts and mountains are beautiful, but the ocean....thats the best for me. I can sit for hours and listen to the waves.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Posted something on your other thread about your photo :D

California...I loved it when I lived there and would go back in a heartbeat. Deserts and mountains are beautiful, but the ocean....thats the best for me. I can sit for hours and listen to the waves.

I saw that, thank you. :)

Here's a couple beach shots from my San Diego trip last year.

Not real beachy- but it was a good place to explore. Couldn't hear anything but the ocean.
    792-0874-lc.jpg

I did have some fun on the boardwalk.
    600w-gs-sqf8099.jpg
    Anybody can do it.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2009
    Wonderful photos thumb.gif Makes me want to be sitting there right now hearing the ocean waves.

How did you do the second photo? Take it with a wide angle and then crop in a circle? That looks neat :D
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Wonderful photos thumb.gif Makes me want to be sitting there right now hearing the ocean waves.

How did you do the second photo? Take it with a wide angle and then crop in a circle? That looks neat :D

Thanks. The top shot was some tide pools I visited with my grandson. He played sherpa and tide watcher. Way overcast, but beautiful.

The second shot, which I originally posted titled "Uneasy Street", was done with a 182 degree fisheye adapter for my old Nikon 990, then cropped square. It's a fun toy to play with. I can get some of the weirdest effects with it. I bought it years ago for an insane client that thought 360 photos were the way to go with real estate. I tried to disuade him by charging nearly ten times the cost, but oh no, the customer is always right! So anyhow, I used it about three times before we went back to the good stuff. Too cool to throw out :)
    Anybody can do it.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2009
    wfeller wrote:
    Thanks. The top shot was some tide pools I visited with my grandson. He played sherpa and tide watcher. Way overcast, but beautiful.

The second shot, which I originally posted titled "Uneasy Street", was done with a 182 degree fisheye adapter for my old Nikon 990, then cropped square. It's a fun toy to play with. I can get some of the weirdest effects with it. I bought it years ago for an insane client that thought 360 photos were the way to go with real estate. I tried to disuade him by charging nearly ten times the cost, but oh no, the customer is always right! So anyhow, I used it about three times before we went back to the good stuff. Too cool to throw out :)

I agree...too cool to throw out thumb.gif