Options

Diners: How About It? (27)

lightdrunklightdrunk Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
edited June 3, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I love diners. I shot this one about midnight. It's in Whately Massachusetts.550181505_9MWJp-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    Nice.. I just wish it were closer.. I need to grab my glasses...rolleyes1.gif

got any others? I like Diners..As a matter of fact before I chose a different route, on the series shoot.. I was thinking about shooting Popes Cafe here in Shelbyville, TN right down the road from me here.... it was in a movie.. and they had awesome pie. It is dressed up like a 50's diner inside with little jukeboxes that are your actual order menus on the tables..., but they closed it down. the economy has been tough..

here is a picture... I think it would have made an awesome black and white conversion, but I am going with something else...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3063/2783414857_1dd034ee69.jpg%3Fv%3D0&imgrefurl=http://flickr.com/photos/jaypegs/2783414857/&usg=__OioToMp05EEpAgY9HFXTvri0eWQ=&h=500&w=409&sz=191&hl=en&start=11&um=1&tbnid=XhB6JndGr_D9kM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=106&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpope%2527s%2Bcafe%2Bshelbyville,%2Btn%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Kat
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2009
    Nice.. I just wish it were closer.. I need to grab my glasses...rolleyes1.gif

got any others? I like Diners..As a matter of fact before I chose a different route, on the series shoot.. I was thinking about shooting Popes Cafe here in Shelbyville, TN right down the road from me here.... it was in a movie.. and they had awesome pie. It is dressed up like a 50's diner inside with little jukeboxes that are your actual order menus on the tables..., but they closed it down. the economy has been tough..

here is a picture... I think it would have made an awesome black and white conversion, but I am going with something else...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3063/2783414857_1dd034ee69.jpg%3Fv%3D0&imgrefurl=http://flickr.com/photos/jaypegs/2783414857/&usg=__OioToMp05EEpAgY9HFXTvri0eWQ=&h=500&w=409&sz=191&hl=en&start=11&um=1&tbnid=XhB6JndGr_D9kM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=106&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpope%2527s%2Bcafe%2Bshelbyville,%2Btn%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Kat

Kat: there are several in Connecticut. As soon as I get my Mamiya working again, I'm going to go in search of them. Aren't they great? When I was driving back from California once I stopped in a Sonic somewhere near Louisville, KY, at three o'clock in the morning. There were only two customers -- me, and a truck driver. The waitstaff came out and sang Motown for us.
  • Options
    billtaichibilltaichi Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    I like this pic a lot. I think the black surrounding it makes the image, it is like you see a haven in the darkness ( a haven that hopefully has great cheesburgers!) clap.gif
    Remember wherever you go, there you are.
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2009
    billtaichi wrote:
    I like this pic a lot. I think the black surrounding it makes the image, it is like you see a haven in the darkness ( a haven that hopefully has great cheesburgers!) clap.gif

I darkened it (burned it) in photoshop so it would bloom out of the darkness. Of course I lost the length of the star spires.

The food's not bad. I've only had breakfast there, though.
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2009
    lightdrunk wrote:
    Kat: there are several in Connecticut. As soon as I get my Mamiya working again, I'm going to go in search of them. Aren't they great? When I was driving back from California once I stopped in a Sonic somewhere near Louisville, KY, at three o'clock in the morning. There were only two customers -- me, and a truck driver. The waitstaff came out and sang Motown for us.

That's too cool..... I love diners too.. they have a lot of atmosphere and character.. so I look forward to the ones your going to go capture.. Will keep my eye out for them.. and best of luck..

P.S> The effect on this one is neat, yes.. but it is simply too far away.. If you could scale it up and bring us in a little it would be better... as the distance makes it look like you shot it "real" quick off the side of the road, instead of a well thought out composition.. other than the distance, it is very nice work.

Kat
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2009
    That's too cool..... I love diners too.. they have a lot of atmosphere and character.. so I look forward to the ones your going to go capture.. Will keep my eye out for them.. and best of luck..

P.S> The effect on this one is neat, yes.. but it is simply too far away.. If you could scale it up and bring us in a little it would be better... as the distance makes it look like you shot it "real" quick off the side of the road, instead of a well thought out composition.. other than the distance, it is very nice work.

Kat

I'm going to do a huge print of this, which includes a crop. It's a medium format neg so I have lots of lattitude.
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2009
    554144928_oLz4y-L.jpg

Kat

Something like this?
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2009
    Much better.. I can see the cars better and the inside better too.. it gives it more personality and you can feel the atmosphere better too...

Still looking forward to the others that you plan to shoot... good luck with that.. and can't wait to see them... will you be shooting those in time for the contest?
    any names on those yet? :D

Kat