Options

Book/Site recommendations for B&W photography

PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
edited June 3, 2009 in Technique
I find myself really drawn/interested in black & white photography. Any of the many experienced photographers here have recommendations for books or sites to help understand the basics of technique etc? I'm looking for a good foundation in general even though I don't shoot film.

Gratefully,
Patti
The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited May 28, 2009
    A good place to start is the sticky in Dgrin's Finishing School fourm. Lots of good links there.
  • Options
    Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2009
    For inspiration/ideas, (but not technique) there tends to be a lot of black and white at http://www.1x.com
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2009
    Thanks Richard and Tim. I'll check them out.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Patti wrote:
    I find myself really drawn/interested in black & white photography. Any of the many experienced photographers here have recommendations for books or sites to help understand the basics of technique etc? I'm looking for a good foundation in general even though I don't shoot film.

Gratefully,
    Patti

So far everyone has not mentioned the best of the best.....Ansel Adams' series on "THE NEGATIVE"."THE CAMERA" and so on........there are hordes of great books on B/W photography ...............here is the 1st page of a google search:

http://www.google.com/search?q=black+and+white+photography&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Still a trip to you local library or bookstore and see what they have.....most everyone still carries Master Adams' books...................................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited May 31, 2009
    Thanks Art. I've only seen one Ansel Adams book and it was strictly a 'coffee table' book of his photos - nothing on technique/theory. Off to the library to troll the stacks this afternoon. clap.gif

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2009
    Patti wrote:
    Thanks Art. I've only seen one Ansel Adams book and it was strictly a 'coffee table' book of his photos - nothing on technique/theory. Off to the library to troll the stacks this afternoon. clap.gif

2 of my fave libraries are Borders books and Barnes & noble:D:D:D...it seems that all the truly useful books never get returned to the public library:cry:cry:cry
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited June 2, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    2 of my fave libraries are Borders books and Barnes & noble:D:D:D...it seems that all the truly useful books never get returned to the public library:cry:cry:cry

Luckily I found Horenstein's book at the library. Indigo (like Borders or B&N) has nothing in stock. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2009
    Patti wrote:
    Luckily I found Horenstein's book at the library. Indigo (like Borders or B&N) has nothing in stock. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Also.....used books from borders or b/n or amazon ..... I have purchased $50 books used for less than $5.....it just takes a bit of time to seach the big stores on line and compare prices and shipping of course....then you can always resell here or amazon.

• Options
    edited June 3, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    So far everyone has not mentioned the best of the best.....Ansel Adams' series on "THE NEGATIVE"."THE CAMERA" and so on........there are hordes of great books on B/W photography ...............here is the 1st page of a google search:

http://www.google.com/search?q=black+and+white+photography&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Still a trip to you local library or bookstore and see what they have.....most everyone still carries Master Adams' books...................................

I found copies of The Camera, The Negative and The Print at my favourite used book store. Lots of reading now.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2009
    Patti wrote:
    I found copies of The Camera, The Negative and The Print at my favourite used book store. Lots of reading now.

AWESOMEbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif