Options

Luck vs. choice

MnemosyneMnemosyne Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
edited June 3, 2009 in Technique
How much would you say your shots are luck, vs. actively picking your elements?

I've found that a lot of my best photos come from just being bored and just taking a picture to take it, as opposed to actually sitting there and thinking about every little detail until I get it "perfect."
Audentes fortuna iuvat

Comments

• Options
    HenryPeachHenryPeach Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    Luck favors the prepared” -Louis Pasteur

I'll gladly take advantage of all the luck that comes my way, but my success rate is significantly greater when I'm thinking about what I'm doing. It's rare that the situation is all one or the other (luck vs. planned). Usually it's some of both.

"Of course it's all luck." -Henri Cartier Bresson
  • Options
    RockHead-MARockHead-MA Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited June 2, 2009
    "I'd rather be lucky than smart" -My Dad

Most everything I shoot is event based, more photojournalistic. There's rarely time for serious thought and detailed composition.

Mostly in jest, but there's a lot of truth in Dad's words! Last night I found out that the two photos I submitted to a local juried exhibition were accepted (my first ever submissions to any show). Only 50% submitted were accepted, so I am thrilled to have both accepted. Two of the best shots I've ever taken, total grab captures, "Oh, look at that" SNAP. I had no idea what I had until I looked at them in LR. Luck.

OTOH, the in camera composition of both was due to years of experience, even after a long lay-off from photography. Plus enough knowledge to have the camera settings ready for the conditions. Preparation.

So really its a combination of both, IMHO.
    My SmugMug
    Nikon D40, 18-55, 70-300
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 3, 2009
    HenryPeach wrote:
    Luck favors the prepared” -Louis Pasteur

I'll gladly take advantage of all the luck that comes my way, but my success rate is significantly greater when I'm thinking about what I'm doing. It's rare that the situation is all one or the other (luck vs. planned). Usually it's some of both.

"Of course it's all luck." -Henri Cartier Bresson

Luck occurs at the intersection of preparation and opportunitythumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin