Options

4 Horse Fans

lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
edited May 28, 2005 in Wildlife
stunning, lynnsite! just wonderful. steve's right, these are worth of some sort of fame :deal

well done and thank you for sharing them with us!

Comments

• Options
    gaylenickgaylenick Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited May 27, 2005
    Lynne-
    I grew up showing Quarter Horses. Any post with horses in it, is guaranteed to get my attention! Love the last two shots. Of those two, the first one is so like an Arabian (sometimes they seem to float when they move) and the second one is just pure horse. I never did endurance rides, sounds like the one last weekend was a hard one. Once again, great shots.

Gayle
    lynnesite wrote:
    Been spending the evenings the last several days playing with light. These are my 3 horses, all greys, the one boy who looks like he's full of himself just did his first 50 mile endurance ride in the desert during last weekend's triple digits, 'bout cooked my guts but he did well.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2005
    Lynne, if there is one thing you do well, it is photographing light and horses, not meaning you do nothing else well.

The holes I dig for myself.

I mean I love your shots! The one from the challenge, the last one, the floating one, etc. I also liked the first "hot" horse shot you had on the challenge. Is your light different, or something? I lived in the Denver area in the 50s, had a quarter horse, was not a horse "person", but I did my duty, took lessons and took care of the D horse. Anyway, I have never seen light like you "show".

Is it the time of day, at all. I note in a few dust must help. We have moisture, not dust. But it has to be more than that. Love your shots.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    SusanBSusanB Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2005
    Lynne,

You sure did get a nice variety of special light shots. thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif Those horses look so happy, livin' the good life. clap.gif

Susan
  • Options
    KirwinKirwin Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2005
    Not a horse fan per say... but I find your images quite beautiful and very enjoyable.
    Regards,
    Kirwin
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2005
    lynnesite wrote:
    Been spending the evenings the last several days playing with light. These are my 3 horses, all greys, the one boy who looks like he's full of himself just did his first 50 mile endurance ride in the desert during last weekend's triple digits, 'bout cooked my guts but he did well.

23011995-L.jpg
    I love this shot!!!! ylsuper.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2005
    I have just the place, and frame, my only 16 X 20 frame, for that shot, Harry.

And would it ever look good. It is like surreal.

g
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2005
    Wonderful shots as always. I am not a horse person, and have never been around them gowing up in the city and all, but I love the way you capture them.

I am going to a place in a couple of weeks that is suppose to have wild horses. I will be taking a look at your site for inspiration just before I go.

Thanks for sharing them.
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2005
    Beautifully done.
    Hats off to youthumb.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    Wonderful shots as always. I am not a horse person, and have never been around them gowing up in the city and all, but I love the way you capture them.

I am going to a place in a couple of weeks that is suppose to have wild horses. I will be taking a look at your site for inspiration just before I go.

Thanks for sharing them.

Lynne always says, at least 100mm lens, otherwise horses look oddly distorted in the shorter lenses.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited May 27, 2005
    Lynne,

I've always liked the way your images use the light and dust to
    highlight the horses.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Lynne,

I've always liked the way your images use the light and dust to
    highlight the horses.

Ian
    thumb.gif Best horse shooterer i know. Lovely images lynne.

Gus
  • Options
    DaniDani Registered Users Posts: 807 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2005
    fantastic!!!

I miss my horses :(
    Dani

20D | 300D-IR | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 18-55 | 50 f/1.8 II | 70-200 f/4L | 17-40L | Lensbaby 2.0 | 250D | 550ex | Gitzo 1257 | RRS BH-40 | RRS L-plates

The Blog | The Photos
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2005
    1st beautiful shots, I love the use of light here thumb.gif

But, did you say Endurance???
    Boy is it a small world
    Back in early 1980's so was I !! :wow
    I did several short rides including Ridgecrest 50 in training for the Tevis Cup (Western States Trail Ride).
    I rode a running quarter ( I know wrong breed) named "Joey" JoeyHiDiamond full name.
    Anyway this is your thread, it just made me remember the great times I had, Thanks thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Lynne always says, at least 100mm lens, otherwise horses look oddly distorted in the shorter lenses.
    Oh, one of my dogs, he is a bit overweight now, but he was gorgeous, he has never photographed well from the side, IMO. I would get low, or get high. I gave up and figured that one dog shot well from the side and the other shot well from the front. Corgis, on "other cool photos" just by coincidence, I finally worked up their beach personas from the other day.

But Skye is a gorgeous dog, I wonder if the lens has been distorting him, he has always looked distorted. This last time I had the 70-200 on and used the wide a bit, too. Last summer it was a wide to telephoto zoom.

Well, Lynne, it is still your thread, and your shots are still about the best thing I have seen.

Oh, I didn't mention, I really enjoyed seeing your site. I don't remember how it used to be, but it sure is nice now, and I know it is different.

ginger
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2005
    gaylenick wrote:
    Lynne-
    I grew up showing Quarter Horses. Any post with horses in it, is guaranteed to get my attention! Love the last two shots. Of those two, the first one is so like an Arabian (sometimes they seem to float when they move) and the second one is just pure horse. I never did endurance rides, sounds like the one last weekend was a hard one. Once again, great shots.

What fun to come home from a day away from the screen to all these kind words!

Thanks, Gayle--They're Arabians, the kid is half Lipizzan. Endurance rides are a blast. Ember, the mama, has nearly 1000 total distance miles, Q is just getting started, just the 2 25s and this 50. We intend to do multi-day rides, 50 miles a day.

Bfjr, small world indeed! I didn't start till 1989, the Tevis is a while away for me, love the trail, have shot it for webcasts 3x and last year shot for 3 magazines. Will ride it someday.

Dani, why are you away from your horses? I live with mine after boarding for years.

Greap, David gave you the right advice. 100mm after the multiplier, so 70 works ok.

Ginger, this place is nothing special, a big patch o' dirt, but we DO have spectacular light sometimes and I've learned how to "work it" the rest of the time. My models will actually respond to direction sometimes ("go up that hill" "look at me") though sometimes I have to bribe them. Not having an assistant means I have to get creative. I don't do a lot of post work, shoot 100% RAW, but I do use the LAB curve adjustment I learned here on just about every shot. And I take a lot of chances, shooting straight into the sun and such, not afraid to try new things.

The shot Harry likes did have a graduated coffee filter applied, to hide the detail of the foliage aka weeds behind her.

David's been here, his shots of his daughter with my horses are really neat. Post the link, Dave! In the summer, during the "magic light".
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2005
    Very nice set.thumb.gifthumb.gif

You bring the beauty of horses to our eyes so well. Thanks.
  • Options
    Aussie_blueyAussie_bluey Registered Users Posts: 593 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2005
    Nice group of photos of a subject I have not had much of a chance to get some photos of. A mate of mine has some horses and said I can come up and take some photos, so you have inspired me to try some sunset shots.

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Tim
    :rofl Laugh at life, otherwise you will cry.:rofl
  • Options
    MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2005
    I'm not what you'd call a horse fan, but I sure like these shots... Very well done Lynne.

AJ
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2005
    Thanks for the response, Lynne. I have to ask/know:

Coffee Filter?

How do you do that, graduated yet.

ginger
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2005
    lynnesite wrote:
    Dani, why are you away from your horses? I live with mine after boarding for years.
    oh boy.. I havn't owned or ridden a horse since... prolly 98 :(
    It's a sad story.

Mostly because we always ended up moving. I had outgrown my first horse (a very small appy mare) when we moved from alabama to oklahoma. I was 14, and she went to a 9 year old who took her on to win national hunter/jumper championships.

In Oklahoma I got my quarter horse gelding and had him for almost 3 years before we moved again. The place we were moving too, there were no barns that offered board and we could not afford a place where we could keep him. He was donated to the OKC police dept and just recently retired with honors.

I finally found a barn owner that had endurance arabians, and allowed some boarding. I would take her horses on trail rides occasionally. I got my miniature stallion, Blue. 4 years later I got married and moved away to Kansas and could not take him with me. I transfered ownersip to the lady that took care of the horses there. But while I was gone her boyfriend stole the mini and left.

Of course, now I'm back in oklahoma... in the same town where I had my quarter horse. The barn I boarded/rode at is about 30 minutes away, but I havn't gone down there yet. I'd want another horse for sure then... and I can't afford one lol!!! I never wanted to part with any of my horses... but not much you can do when you're a teen and your parents have final say. Crying and bawling for days sure didn't do much good.

One day though I'll start riding again, and I'll buy a nice place with a barn and acerage.. and I'm going to get a beautiful Friesian gelding :)
    Dani

20D | 300D-IR | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 18-55 | 50 f/1.8 II | 70-200 f/4L | 17-40L | Lensbaby 2.0 | 250D | 550ex | Gitzo 1257 | RRS BH-40 | RRS L-plates

The Blog | The Photos
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2005
    Dani wrote:
    oh boy.. I havn't owned or ridden a horse since... prolly 98 :(
    It's a sad story.

Mostly because we always ended up moving. I had outgrown my first horse (a very small appy mare) when we moved from alabama to oklahoma. I was 14, and she went to a 9 year old who took her on to win national hunter/jumper championships.

In Oklahoma I got my quarter horse gelding and had him for almost 3 years before we moved again. The place we were moving too, there were no barns that offered board and we could not afford a place where we could keep him. He was donated to the OKC police dept and just recently retired with honors.<snip>

One day though I'll start riding again, and I'll buy a nice place with a barn and acerage.. and I'm going to get a beautiful Friesian gelding :)

OTOH, you could have been like me, horseless until 31, spent my childhood scheming and riding OPH (other peoples' horses) under various circumstances. We didn't live close enough to any ag land to be able to go via bike, unfortunately. Sounds like you've had some great horses. Hope you're able to have them back in your life soon.

Where in Oklahoma? Still lots of endurance people there, some with extra horses... ;-)
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2005
    lynnesite wrote:

Where in Oklahoma? Still lots of endurance people there, some with extra horses... ;-)
    :D

thanks

I'm in Duncan, south central
    Dani

The Blog | The Photos
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 28, 2005
    Lynne,
    Been missing your horses. These are excellent as usual thumb.gifthumb

The first two just blow me away clap.gifclap I could easily see these two shots being in a magazine.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero