Options

Weekly Assignment #117: WB Extreme

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited June 5, 2009 in Assignments
Most of the the time we're struggling to get our White Balance "right". We use color charts, gray targets, gizmos, gels, software, all in the name of bringing the different color temperature light sources together...
How about we do it the other way this time? Set the WB way out of whack and see if you can get some interesting artistic effect? Like, tune custom WB up to make green foliage neutral and shoot a portrait? Or read it off a red Ferrari and shoot the ocean beach... Play with it! Chances are you'll end up with something cool.
Fresh images only, no WB adjustment in post. Multiple entries ok if they are totally different.
Let's get some extreme WB!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 3, 2009
    This should be a good one....
    I am sitting here thinking of what I could shoot.headscratch.gif
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2009
    I am thinking about playing around with post to see what happens when Wb is set to different colours, then get out and shoot with at least an educated guess as to the outcome.
    Plus good excuse to familiarize myself with custom WB on the 50D, have yet to use it since upgrading from 350D.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2009
    Playing the blues...
    527430802_LxGat-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2009
    captain78 wrote:
    Playing the blues...
    Laughing.gif
    Thanks! thumb.gif
    Care to explain how you got it (the blue tinit, that is)?
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2009
    I set the white balance on my D200 at 2500 K. The lighting was from a large window to the right of the camera.
    Not a spectacular shot but I was just playing around with the WB temp settings on my D200 and this was the result.

Below is a "warmer" shot.
    527432868_4pVPp-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2009
    captain78 wrote:
    I set the white balance on my D200 at 2500 K. The lighting was from a large window to the right of the camera.
    Not a spectacular shot but I was just playing around with the WB temp settings on my D200 and this was the result.
    Below is a "warmer" shot.
    Gotcha, thanks! thumb.gif
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2009
    Hello Nikolai.

Something I've been trying lately is shooting nighttime incendescent-lit interiors with a long exposure while using a daylight or flash white balance. Here's one from this past weekend. (I wanted to post more, but they were all shot the same way.)
    Triple Soffit
    TripleSoffit0279.jpg
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2009
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Hello Nikolai.

Something I've been trying lately is shooting nighttime incendescent-lit interiors with a long exposure while using a daylight or flash white balance. Here's one from this past weekend. (I wanted to post more, but they were all shot the same way.)

Triple Soffit
    Lee, thank you...
    But for the life of me I wouldn't know this WB is "extreme". Looks pretty normal incandescent to me... headscratch.gif
  • Options
    LoriKTMLoriKTM Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    So, scientists have done gene manipulation in cats to make them glow in the dark. (LINK)

This is my version. :D

Neon cat.

551492003_JMKnW-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2009
    LoriKTM wrote:
    So, scientists have done gene manipulation in cats to make them glow in the dark. (LINK)
    This is my version. :D
    Neon cat.
    Nice! thumb.gif
    Care to post a how-to? mwink.gif
  • Options
    LoriKTMLoriKTM Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Nice! thumb.gif
    Care to post a how-to? mwink.gif

Sure! I knew I wanted to get a glow-in-the-dark effect on the cat. I talked it over with the hubby, and he suggested thinking about complementary colors.
    After consulting a color wheel, I went and found a shirt in my closet that is a magenta-pink color, approximately the opposite of the greenish effect I wanted. I took the shirt outside, and then took a picture of it. Set the camera (5dII) to custom white balance, and then told it to use my shirt picture for the "white" balance setting.

The hardest part was getting the cat to sit still long enough to get a couple shots! She kept trying to follow me around while I had the camera in hand.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2009
    LoriKTM wrote:
    Sure! I knew I wanted to get a glow-in-the-dark effect on the cat. I talked it over with the hubby, and he suggested thinking about complementary colors.
    After consulting a color wheel, I went and found a shirt in my closet that is a magenta-pink color, approximately the opposite of the greenish effect I wanted. I took the shirt outside, and then took a picture of it. Set the camera (5dII) to custom white balance, and then told it to use my shirt picture for the "white" balance setting.

The hardest part was getting the cat to sit still long enough to get a couple shots! She kept trying to follow me around while I had the camera in hand.

Gotcha! Thank you for sharing!
    "Opposite" approach is totally correct btw. For me personally the easiest is to think in LAB terms (I spent a lot of time in that colorspace when we were devouring Margulis' books:-): Magenta vs Green, Blue vs Yellow.

And of course, 5D2/50D (and I think 40D also) have a nice graphical setup screen for WB (at least for braketing, but I think it can be used for setting, too).
  • Options
    spb13spb13 Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2009
    I experimented with a couple different WB settings to get this. This was set using a blue paper.

554955877_5jwzW-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2009
    spb13 wrote:
    I experimented with a couple different WB settings to get this. This was set using a blue paper.
    Nice! thumb.gif
    Was there a "conventional" shot? ear.gif
  • Options
    spb13spb13 Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Nice! thumb.gif
    Was there a "conventional" shot? ear.gif

It is the same shot, but I fixed the WB in ACR...

554973250_2cQqT-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2009
    spb13 wrote:
    It is the same shot, but I fixed the WB in ACR...
    Cool thanks! thumb.gif
    Oh, the beauty of the RAW! deal.gif:D