Options

Band Promo Shot

binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
edited May 28, 2005 in People
took this outside of a club in manhattan, made it b&w and photoshopped out what was behind them. i shoot most of their shows and they asked me to do some group shots that they could maybe put on a poster to sell. the band is called the blue scene and they're from sayville, ny. the goal here was to make them look cool, i think i accomplished that. critique/advice would be great. thanks.

exif

23083601-L.jpg

-barry

Comments

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 28, 2005
    excellent, excellent, excellent. this shot instantly reminded me of a Beatles' jacket cover from the 60s. FANTASTIC!

(if you dare suggest you don't know the Beatles or what a record jacket is I will reach through cyberspace and smack you and your little lens) :D
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    excellent, excellent, excellent. this shot instantly reminded me of a Beatles' jacket cover from the 60s. FANTASTIC!

(if you dare suggest you don't know the Beatles or what a record jacket is I will reach through cyberspace and smack you and your little lens) :D
    hahaha, that's exactly what i was going for. their manager keeps referring to the beatles when he tells me how he wants the pictures.

thanks a lot angelo, i really appreciated your comment.
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    I had the exact same thought.
    Barry, that's a great picture for the group. I'm sure they are going to be well pleased with it.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2005
    That has a great look to it. Almost a retro/contemporary mix feel to it. Good job.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2005
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2005
    thanks, guys, and you're right angelo, it does resemble that cover. i forgot to mention that i had printed this shot for the band to see and they absolutely loved it. i got an interesting comment a bunch of times and that was "was this digital or film?" that made me happy.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2005
    from an ole' ladies point of view.. and from one who personally danced at Beatles concerts and mingled with the Who ad nauseum

FABULOUS!!! JUST FABULOUS.. I love it clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2005
    I love the shot, indeed very Beatles like.

Only remark I have, and wedding shooters are very very familiar with this. Black suits, white dresses, white shirts, the range of contrast is a challenge for the digital camera.

In this case most of the shirts are completely washed out. Now I personally don't care, as the shot holds its own even with the shirts blown out, I have ample shots like that.

Was that a look you were going for, or it happened and you decided to live with it?

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    from an ole' ladies point of view.. and from one who personally danced at Beatles concerts and mingled with the Who ad nauseum

FABULOUS!!! JUST FABULOUS.. I love it clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    if you're an old lady, what does that make me? rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2005
    Very nice, very beatles, very 60s!
    Great image!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2005
    XO-Studios wrote:
    Only remark I have, and wedding shooters are very very familiar with this. Black suits, white dresses, white shirts, the range of contrast is a challenge for the digital camera.

In this case most of the shirts are completely washed out. Now I personally don't care, as the shot holds its own even with the shirts blown out, I have ample shots like that.

Was that a look you were going for, or it happened and you decided to live with it?
    i wanted the details in the suits to be visible and i wanted their faces to have detail and not be blown out with the shirts. i was very very happy with the outcome. my only slight problem is that the middle guy's tie is white and got washed out with the rest of his shirt, but it's not very noticeable so i can deal with it.
  • Options
    XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2005
    binghott wrote:
    i wanted the details in the suits to be visible and i wanted their faces to have detail and not be blown out with the shirts. i was very very happy with the outcome. my only slight problem is that the middle guy's tie is white and got washed out with the rest of his shirt, but it's not very noticeable so i can deal with it.
    :D

As I posted, I have made that same trade off myself. thumb.gif

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com