Options

26" NEC or 30" Cinema Display

jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
edited June 8, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
I am going to replace my older 24" Dell FPW. Originally, I was thinking about a ACD 30" (matte) since they are now <$1800. So I have been reading the reviews/comments here and elsewhere and the NEC 90 series seems very popular, especially with the SpectraView II. The ACD seems a little dated, and I'm not interested in the glossy finish version.

However the 30" NEC is $2500, more than the $2000 I budgeted. The non-SpectraView is $2200, but it gets great reviews plus I would probably update Spyder anyway. The 26" NEC is $1450 which is less than even the ACD.

One reason I wanted the ACD was I have used one occasionally at work and the higher res is very nice when looking at images and zooming in. But the 26" and 24" are the same - more real estate on the 26" but not like the jump from 24" to 30". If it makes any difference, I will be using this on a MacBook Pro for now.

Does the quality of the smaller 24/26" NEC override the ACD's higher resolution? Is the 30" ACD really that dated? Any comments would be appreciated :thumb
"Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
-Fleetwood Mac

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited June 8, 2009
    You may also want to look into the 30" Dell as well.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    I have the 26" NEC which is really 25.5". Going from a 23" Sony monitor and running it at the same 1920X1200 resolution has been very nice for my eyes. IMO 30" is too large...but with the increasing sizes of captured images, that may change. Mine is the model with the included software and puck for calibration that works perfectly.
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    I have the 26" NEC which is really 25.5". Going from a 23" Sony monitor and running it at the same 1920X1200 resolution has been very nice for my eyes. IMO 30" is too large...but with the increasing sizes of captured images, that may change. Mine is the model with the included software and puck for calibration that works perfectly.

Thanks for the feedback. I realize that 2" is nothing to sneeze at, but for that kind of $$, I too am thinking further down the road. The only CRT I still have running in the house is a Sony Trinitron 19" - that I got in 2002 and paid something like $2000 for. So the good ones do last
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac