Options

DSS #27 - how are these?

dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
edited June 11, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
The first one I almost feel like I am cheating... but really the felt had some other color to it.
The second, well, we stopped at McDonalds and I am at a loss and have no time... so anything goes at this point. :D

558747075_FvoHJ-L.jpg

558697969_ZdQLZ-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    well I like the fries.. that is neat but sharpen it up and give us a little more contrast..rolleyes1.gif

You know how about Dominoes? I was gonna do that at one point and then thought, naw........ tons of people are gonna do dominoes... but nobody has,, do you have any? you can set them up in all kinds of ways and even take action shots too of them falling or take pics of them stacked up in some awesome way...

something to think about and it will offer more impact than the dice..headscratch.gif

Anyways, I love the stripes inside the fry box, but we need more contrast..

Kat
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    well I like the fries.. that is neat but sharpen it up and give us a little more contrast..rolleyes1.gif
    You know how about Dominoes? I was gonna do that at one point and then thought, naw........ tons of people are gonna do dominoes... but nobody has,, do you have any? you can set them up in all kinds of ways and even take action shots too of them falling or take pics of them stacked up in some awesome way...
    something to think about and it will offer more impact than the dice..headscratch.gif
    Anyways, I love the stripes inside the fry box, but we need more contrast..
    Kat

Laughing.gif, I went to buy dominos, and did, but saw the dice and grabbed them too. I just haven't had time to play with them yet. They could be interesting to convert because they have colored dots, so they may be all sorts of shades.
    I will try working on the fries a little more tomorrow also. I tried to get them a little more contrasted, but they were just turning wierd shades of grainy mess. But, I am tired, so it may work better at another time. I also got to thinking, I wish I had put some ketchup on them... hindsight and all....

Thanks Kat!
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    Awesome... then can't wait to see what you do with the dominoes... that will be a fun shoot if you decide to do it... :ivar

Good Luck thumb.gif

Kat
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    auuuughhhhh!!!!
    I am never going to be happy with B&W coversions. I want my old film camera, some B&W film and a darkroom!

I can't get anything to look the way I want... but I will keep trying.
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    auuuughhhhh!!!!
    I am never going to be happy with B&W coversions. I want my old film camera, some B&W film and a darkroom!

I can't get anything to look the way I want... but I will keep trying.

Do you use Lightroom and/or Photoshop ACR? If so, have you looked at www.lifeindigitalfilm.com? It's a series of presets that emulate common film stocks, both b&w and color. So if you know what the stock is supposed to look like, you can save yourself some conversion time. A lot of times for a b&w conversion I'll just go to my presets folder and start scrolling through until I find one I like. Cheap as free! (Actually, I donated the $9.99 for the complete set. deal.gif )

I was previously spoiled by Bibble 4 and its AndyPro plugin.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    Do you use Lightroom and/or Photoshop ACR? If so, have you looked at www.lifeindigitalfilm.com? It's a series of presets that emulate common film stocks, both b&w and color. So if you know what the stock is supposed to look like, you can save yourself some conversion time. A lot of times for a b&w conversion I'll just go to my presets folder and start scrolling through until I find one I like. Cheap as free! (Actually, I donated the $9.99 for the complete set. deal.gif )

I was previously spoiled by Bibble 4 and its AndyPro plugin.

Neither... I use GIMP (free :D) but that is an idea. I will look to see if they have something simular. I'm not real prficiant with it still, but I keep trying.

Thanks Mark!!
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    Neither... I use GIMP (free :D) but that is an idea. I will look to see if they have something simular. I'm not real prficiant with it still, but I keep trying.

Thanks Mark!!

Hmmm ... DXO has a program called Film Pack that can be used "stand-alone" mode on a Mac or PC, but it's a bit pricey (IMO) at $99. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    Hmmm ... DXO has a program called Film Pack that can be used "stand-alone" mode on a Mac or PC, but it's a bit pricey (IMO) at $99. ne_nau.gif
    too rich for me. I have to find the cheap ways to do things and software isn't in the budget right now. I just spent the day getting new glasses for my son and have to pay for summer school tonight... I am soooo broke.
    but i'll figure something out. probably an issue of me getting use to it and gettting the right pic.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    too rich for me. I have to find the cheap ways to do things and software isn't in the budget right now. I just spent the day getting new glasses for my son and have to pay for summer school tonight... I am soooo broke.
    but i'll figure something out. probably an issue of me getting use to it and gettting the right pic.

Understood! thumb.gif There are also some cool techniques over at the Finishing School that could probably easily be adapted to the GIMP, if you haven't checked them out already.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    Understood! thumb.gif There are also some cool techniques over at the Finishing School that could probably easily be adapted to the GIMP, if you haven't checked them out already.

I found some plug ins for GIMP but haven't had time to figure it out yet. I hate being sooo busy.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    How is it going? :devbobo
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    How is it going? :devbobo

Bleck! Thats how its going. The thing is, this isn't just for this. My photo clubs "assignment" for this month was B&W. So this will serve 2 purposes... and really I need 2-3 for it.
    I really want to find something else to shoot, something that will convert well. Some things are just meant to be B&W. I haven't found "IT" yet. (no, not the clown, <shiver>)
    I used to be good at finding the right things, but it has been so long since I shot B&W I have lost the eye for it. I gotta get it back... I love B&W. Something will show, I hope.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    Yep, I am sure it will come back to you.. I cannot relate because I came into it all digital and no film experience.. I am a digital computer geek phototog..

I am sure it is like riding a bike though right? you always manage to pull something through... I will be keeping my eyes peeled for it... and you obviously still have it, because your first call on those balloons was dead on the spot.. I thought.. I like the way they looked velvety with the conversion.. they just needed more white contrast in them.. and well... a BRA.......... ha ha...rolleyes1.gif

I liked them "a lot" you will get there..thumb.gif

Kat
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    Yep, I am sure it will come back to you.. I cannot relate because I came into it all digital and no film experience.. I am a digital computer geek phototog..

I am sure it is like riding a bike though right? you always manage to pull something through... I will be keeping my eyes peeled for it... and you obviously still have it, because your first call on those balloons was dead on the spot.. I thought.. I like the way they looked velvety with the conversion.. they just needed more white contrast in them.. and well... a BRA.......... ha ha...rolleyes1.gif

I liked them "a lot" you will get there..thumb.gif

Kat

I was playing around with some old stuff and I had an Iris piv that looked fabulous... but it is old. I may have to go look at flowers. That is usually where I do my best... or drive down a country road. I'll find something there.
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    I say go with what you are comfortable shooting, and if you have a special skill with flowers, then go for it..thumb.gif
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    I say go with what you are comfortable shooting, and if you have a special skill with flowers, then go for it..thumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009

I wouldn't say it is a special skill... more like a better luck thing. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    9496500-Ti.gif

can't wait to see them.. "roll that beautiful floral footage" > TV commercial joke...can't help it..

Kat
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    C'mooon dnie, don't get stuck!...

There are so many subjects all around... just get out, sit down some place (on a bench, perhaps),
    relax and pay attention to what's going on... :uhoh

rolleyes1.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    Yeah...don't give up! School's not out yet. I'm sure there's a jumble of nice white "contrasty" (is that a word) school papers from your kids that could fit in somewhere. Or a jumble of old "contrasty" photo prints that could be used someway.

:D