Options

D and W...From last Saturday.

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited June 21, 2009 in People
Just sharing a few of my favorites from last weekend's e-session. We cut our scheduled mid-morning shoot off short due to harsh light and a poor choice of locations (in that type of light). That evening, we met up downtown and skipped around to chance locations....finding quite a few for some nice variety.

I used flash on six of these, so at least half are existing light captures inspired by a thread earlier this week started by "WingsofLove".

1-Single 580EX (camera left) off camera shot through a 45 inch white umbrella via STE2.
559284846_cNADy-L-2.jpg

2-Single 580EX (camera left) off camera shot through a 45 inch white umbrella via STE2.
559283239_L8A9z-L-2.jpg

3-
559282483_DNrCm-M-2.jpg

4-
559282497_VVsjq-M-1.jpg

5-
559280173_LpJrK-M-2.jpg

6-
559281406_ezPAs-M-2.jpg

7-
559281994_i29WH-M-2.jpg

8-Single 580EX (camera right) off camera shot through a 45 inch white umbrella via STE2.
559282005_j3cgU-M-2.jpg

9-
559283770_GXY5F-M-2.jpg

10-Single 580EX (camera left) off camera shot through a 45 inch white umbrella via STE2.
559280531_8kECF-M-2.jpg

11-
559279958_Qnaco-M-2.jpg

12-Single 580EX (camera left) off camera shot through a 45 inch white umbrella via STE2.
559283799_Agsbp-M-2.jpg

13-
559281054_P3igG-M-2.jpg

14- (This one for HF!)Single 580EX (camera left) off camera shot through a 45 inch white umbrella via STE2.
559280925_m8Heo-S-1.jpg

15- ...and LASTLY....this one that I have shared already in a different conversion. I think I still have some work to do here, but I love the shot, and got a nice series of photos on this porch.

559281120_KF6Ff-XL-2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    2, 3, and 15 are my favorites.

Caroline
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Wonderful set, as always. thumb.gif Love 14 and 15 especially (prefer this conversion of 15 to the one in the other thread, though they're both very cool).
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    I am going to use my post #1000 on this set.

#3 and #4clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Oooh yay- these are fun and inspiring!

Here is my blow by blow- and take all this with a grain of iloveyou.gif since you know I love your stuff. (Really I do!)

#1- love the tilt & pose
    #2- What is going on with her left eye? Seems like she has extra thick eyeliner on it, or like a bad PS shadow recovery job or something. But she is super pretty and he compliments her well.
    #3- love the location- that railing is stunning with the pillars! She has a fun expression.
    #4-My favorite of the set- perfect comp. Love how it points to them again and again!
    #5- Purdy!
    #6- What is that? Mirror? Painting? Window? Whatever it is, it is pretty neat! Great pose to utilize the space!
    #7-Too close to a maternity pose to suit me. I always attempt to avoid landing the hands anywhere near the abdomen area to prevent that look... But I love the conversion, location and his expression.
    #8-Love the idea, but the tilt kind of kills it for me. The expressions you got grom them are really fun! (But I do have to add that I am, for some reason, on the edge of "tired of tilt". Preferences, preferences. We all have them, but mine are the only ones that count. JK, hahaha)
    #9-I am wishing to see this one bigger so I can attempt to duplicate it. I tried to pose one similar at last nights e-session with the ring on a motercycle, but found difficulty in getting the ring to take up enough of the frame as well as the oof clients. In your photo, it worked really well to have them sitting. (Could you make this larger for me to see? I need to study it.)
    #10- Close to my favorite of the set- lovely use of the bench and background. But the best part is that lovely OCF that you know I love!
    #11- Nice, but I found myself attempting to figure out which hand was the left and which ring was the engagement ring... If it were me, I would have had them remove all watches, extra rings, etc. to put the focus on the engagement ring.
    #12- Now that I have noticed the eye in #2, my attention is drawn immediately to it. I doubt the clients would notice, but it would drive me batty! Lovely colors and pose though.
    #13- Sweet!
    #14-:D
    #15- Gorgeous! Pose, conversion, background, texture, everything... love it! One thing I would fix for her is where the wrinkle of her shirt gets tucked into her pants just a bit. Should be a fairly simple fix that will make her love this photo just that much more.

Just read back through my comments and realize I sound kind of pointed. I hope you know that I am EXTREMELY impressed by your work and constant desire to increase in knowledge and skills. (And are committed to dragging the rest of us along with you!rolleyes1.gif ) Love this set! And I'm inspired by this set! I know how tricky all of this can get, so kudos to you! Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    I bolded my replies here in bold.

Oooh yay- these are fun and inspiring!

Here is my blow by blow- and take all this with a grain of iloveyou.gif since you know I love your stuff. (Really I do!)

#2- What is going on with her left eye? Seems like she has extra thick eyeliner on it, or like a bad PS shadow recovery job or something. But she is super pretty and he compliments her well.

It wasn't me or her left eye, but rather her right eye that seems to not open up as much as the left. Fought with that for the whole shoot.....she isn't my first client that has had this issue....and it's funny that I notice it as much as I do in people.

#3- love the location- that railing is stunning with the pillars! She has a fun expression.

Biggest Baptist church Ive ever seen. Those pillars are easily 8 feet diameter.....maybe more.

#5- Purdy! Under the roof between pillars and facade......thats one BIG softbox of natural light!

#6- What is that? Mirror? Painting? Window? Whatever it is, it is pretty neat! Great pose to utilize the space!

Its a window reflecting the old state capitol building across the street....that would be where the iron fence I often shoot against is located.
    #7-Too close to a maternity pose to suit me. I always attempt to avoid landing the hands anywhere near the abdomen area to prevent that look... But I love the conversion, location and his expression.

Maybe if I did more maternity stuff I would have noticed that?ne_nau.gif

#8-Love the idea, but the tilt kind of kills it for me. The expressions you got grom them are really fun! (But I do have to add that I am, for some reason, on the edge of "tired of tilt". Preferences, preferences. We all have them, but mine are the only ones that count. JK, hahaha)

The tilt helped hide some distractions farther down the wall.

#9-I am wishing to see this one bigger so I can attempt to duplicate it. I tried to pose one similar at last nights e-session with the ring on a motercycle, but found difficulty in getting the ring to take up enough of the frame as well as the oof clients. In your photo, it worked really well to have them sitting. (Could you make this larger for me to see? I need to study it.)

Sure thing

#10- Close to my favorite of the set- lovely use of the bench and background. But the best part is that lovely OCF that you know I love!

I should have absolutely used a CTB gel on the flash but skipped it. I could kick myself.

#14-:D Pointed critics seem to like this pose....dunno whyne_nau.gif

#15- Gorgeous! Pose, conversion, background, texture, everything... love it! One thing I would fix for her is where the wrinkle of her shirt gets tucked into her pants just a bit. Should be a fairly simple fix that will make her love this photo just that much more.

Its unfinished....Ill include your suggestion.thumb.gif

Just read back through my comments and realize I sound kind of pointed. I hope you know that I am EXTREMELY impressed by your work and constant desire to increase in knowledge and skills. (And are committed to dragging the rest of us along with you!rolleyes1.gif ) Love this set! And I'm inspired by this set! I know how tricky all of this can get, so kudos to you! Thanks for sharing!

Sure. Whatever you say....rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the blow by blowthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2009
    This is uncropped Heather. In an 8x10 I think the ceiling fan would disappear and bring the ring to 1/3 ish from bottom. It isnt perfect...and I really wished I had hung on to my macro lens for shots like this.

559283770_GXY5F-XL-2.jpg
  • Options
    GemGemGemGem Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    These are great! my favorites are the last three. The conversion is great!
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Hey Jeff,

Nice set for sure thumb.gif

Stand-outs for me:

2) good pose & comp

3) The comp & colors grab your eye to the subjects

6) very symmetrical

12) just realized this is the same shot as #2

14) I don't normally like centered subjects, but it seems to work here

15) I keep trying to like this image, but I'm just not completely sure

I do appreciate you posting any "strobist" info about the pics. I think others will enjoy that also thumb.gif

Thanks for posting.
    Randy
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2009
    Great set, Jeff! Good for you that you guys decided to continue the shoot later that evening ... I wish I could have done that at my last wedding headscratch.gif

Love all the pics you posted! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2009
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Great set, Jeff! Good for you that you guys decided to continue the shoot later that evening ... I wish I could have done that at my last wedding headscratch.gif

Love all the pics you posted! iloveyou.gif

I hear ya....

I got super lucky at my last wedding with a well timed cloud that lasted the 15 minutes of the ceremony.

D is a photography buff herself, and easily understood all of my concerns about the conditions. I happened to catch this shot of her at my last wedding...I had already spoken with her about doing her wedding, but this was our first face to face meeting.

535316307_B27cx-M.jpg

536766076_4Geey-M.jpg

...and of course this is her fiance...

536744599_87efV-M.jpg
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I hear ya....

I got super lucky at my last wedding with a well timed cloud that lasted the 15 minutes of the ceremony.

D is a photography buff herself, and easily understood all of my concerns about the conditions. I happened to catch this shot of her at my last wedding...I had already spoken with her about doing her wedding, but this was our first face to face meeting.

rolleyes1.gif Good for you! So jealous! The sun during my last wedding killed me. Ugh. I need to have a serious word with the guys that is responsible of the weather rolleyes1.gif (+ expecting rain this Sat). Ugh. No luck these days.

A big yay for understanding brides, we need more of them iloveyou.gif

Btw. The last shot is one of the best shots I've seen in a while. HILARIOUS! clap.gif
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    Your usual beautiful work (what is it about you and brick walls?! You give me WAY too many ideas.... although of course now I need some cute couples to shoot to try it out :D)

Especially like 4, 15 and 15. Yummy!
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Hey Jeff,

Nice set for sure thumb.gif

Stand-outs for me:

2) good pose & comp

3) The comp & colors grab your eye to the subjects

6) very symmetrical

12) just realized this is the same shot as #2

14) I don't normally like centered subjects, but it seems to work here

15) I keep trying to like this image, but I'm just not completely sure

I do appreciate you posting any "strobist" info about the pics. I think others will enjoy that also thumb.gif

Thanks for posting.

Thanks Randy,

I often don't consider adding the stobist info, though I can see where it might help some folks.
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Your usual beautiful work (what is it about you and brick walls?! You give me WAY too many ideas.... although of course now I need some cute couples to shoot to try it out :D)

Especially like 4, 15 and 15. Yummy!

Brick walls= monotonous, non-distracting, usually warm texture. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2009
    GemGem, Caroline, Kerry, and Quarik(congrats on 1k!),

Thanks for your kind comments. Much appreciated.:D
  • Options
    rmwphotormwphoto Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    I really like #6 and #15 very cool!!clap.gif
    www.rmwphoto.ca
    Canon XSI
    18-55 AF IS
    55-250 AF IS
    Canon 430 EXII Flash
  • Options
    picturegirlpicturegirl Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    Jeff, these are amazing!!! You do such a wonderful job with lighting and posing your couples, they look so comfortable. Of coarse I had a few favorites, but that does not mean the others weren't amazing.
    LOVE, LOVE #4, 9, 10 and 13 clap.gif
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    3, 4, 6, 9, 10, 13 are my favorites, phew, that was hard, so many great shots!

I always love your work :)
  • Options
    WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2009
    Haha Jeff mentioned me in his post!!! :D +1 for existing light,(I am totally becoming a fan) but I love them all! I wish that I had some close by cool places to do shots like this! Doing an e-session at Vassar College in 2 weeks. Hope they come out half as good as yours Jeff!
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!