Options

Morocco

frankensteinfrankenstein Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited June 10, 2009 in Journeys
For a long time now I've wanted to visit Morocco - it just sounded so exotic and mysterious, with visions of Casablanca and Marrakech, kasbahs and camels. So at the end of April I finally boarded a plane in Sydney with 22 hours in the air ahead of me.
I took over 2100 shots in the 2 weeks I was there - here are the highlights.

Our small group (2 other Aussies and 2 from New Zealand) set off from Casablanca, heading south along the Atlantic coast. First stop was the town of El Jadida...

538300177_M76qd-M.jpg

538300657_Q988w-M.jpg
This is the underground cistern built by the Portugese.

Travelling further south, we came to the lovely town of Essaouira. This was our first experience with the medinas (old town) found in the Moroccan towns - full of shops, crafts, and people going about their daily lives. Here are some images from the medinas across the country:

538301441_HPLgW-M.jpg

538300560_9Tpah-M.jpg

539465121_5ZDZw-M.jpg

538315568_966yR-M.jpg

538302658_EiGwQ-M.jpg

Marrakech is one of Morocco's four imperial cities, and to me had an elegant feel to it (mind you, it was still go-go-go and so vibrant).

538303945_7k88n-M.jpg
This is the famous Djemma el Fna Square - it comes alive at evening with food sellers, snake charmers, story tellers, and every resident of the city!

538305680_NHphJ-M.jpg
The Palmerie is a massive corridor of palm trees that stretches for tens of kilometers out of the city.

Up and over the High Atlas Mountains heading east, we reach the westernmost fringe of the Sahara. Mounting our trusty steeds, err, camels, we headed into the dunes...

538300024_8eaG2-M.jpg

539465876_YLeiL-M.jpg

538212859_s6uMV-M.jpg

Do you know the feeling when you're somewhere, or seeing something, that you know is one of life's highlights? Well, this day was one of those for me. The desert is amazing, and gazing eastward, knowing that this sea of sand stretched across the entire continent to Egypt, was absolutely awe inspiring. As the sun was setting, the lengthening shadows across the dunes made gave the landscape a soft, dreamy feeling:
538310294_g6ijf-M.jpg

Moving northwards, we reached the city of Fes. It is described as one of the most complete medieval cities left in the world today, and up to 300,000 people live in its medinas:

538319170_otmpB-M.jpg
Medina detail. Medieval maybe, but check out the number of satellite dishes!

The other incredible hightlight of the trip was visiting the tanneries in Fes:

538321412_Nke2H-M.jpg
This is a composite of about 6 separate images. A sight that hasn't changed in centuries - but oh dear, the smell!! Nothing like the tangy odour of animal flesh and hides in the morning!

538321868_MfJ8Q-M.jpg
My mum liked how he's removed his sandals before getting into the vat of dye!

Still heading northwards to the Mediterrean, we visited the ruins of the Roman town Volubilis, which marked the southern-most extent of the Roman Empire.

538323652_hkhwP-M.jpg

538324141_Hgc9M-M.jpg
It was amazing to see the mosaics were still visible after all this time.

Next day we reached the town of Chefchaouen, remarkable for the blue painted walls of the medina...

539466926_nxX6P-M.jpg

539467041_yctL7-M.jpg

In the capital city of Rabat I took this shot of a mounted guard ouside the Mohammed V Mausolem...

539467385_E7MqY-M.jpg

Inside the Mausoleum was stunning, as you'd expect. Mohammad V was the grandfather of the current King, and is the father of modern Morocco:

538311683_rrW5p-M.jpg

On a Saturday evening in Rabat, the setting sun gave the medina wall a lovely warm colour. There were just so many people around - shopping, chatting, playing...it was great just to sit and watch.

538327247_5tBpn-M.jpg

The trip ended in Casablanca, which (to me) didn't appear to have too much appeal...except for the magnificent Hassan II Mosque. This is the 3rd biggest mosque in the world and the only one in Morocco that non-Muslims can enter. Simply stunning inside and out:

538329629_hPT6E-M.jpg

538329079_DiqxN-M.jpg

538312495_oC6YJ-M.jpg

The two weeks in Morocco were wonderful. The people were just so friendly, the cuture fascinating, scenery stunning, and the food endless!

Photographically it was a treat. I always tried to ask permission when taking shots of people, and most gave their permission. The only problem I encountered was that my 4 brand new 8GB CF cards all refused to fill to their supposed capacity, with my D300 giving a "corrupted card" error. luckily no images were lost, and I had a portable HD storage device that I was able to use for image storage.

These shots can only give a tiny taste of what I saw and experienced, but my memories will last forever. I can highly recommend a visit to this wonderful country.

(Morocco gallery: http://www.frankalvaro.net/gallery/8224421_urC93)

Frank

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited May 30, 2009
    Great pics. Thanks for the tour. thumb.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Now *this* is quite a journey! Well done, super photos and I feel like I was there with you! clap.gif
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    I agree - well done. It is a very intersting country. I was there just over a year ago and I did not find it very hospitiable for photographers. I got told no so often to take photos except at the Kashbah if I paid them to shoot or in the Souk at Tarodant because they were trying to encourage me to buy. Tarodant's Souk in the Medina was amazing. And I also agree that Casablanca was not the best city to see - we asked our guide to take us back to our ship because we were not comfortable downtown after we saw the Hassan Mosque. (There was a bombing the week we were there and American's were advised not to be there). We think of the mystique given to Morrocco by Humphrey Bogart....

Your photos are wonderful! Thank you for sharing them.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    I agree - well done. It is a very intersting country. I was there just over a year ago and I did not find it very hospitiable for photographers. I got told no so often to take photos except at the Kashbah if I paid them to shoot or in the Souk at Tarodant because they were trying to encourage me to buy. Tarodant's Souk in the Medina was amazing. And I also agree that Casablanca was not the best city to see - we asked our guide to take us back to our ship because we were not comfortable downtown after we saw the Hassan Mosque. (There was a bombing the week we were there and American's were advised not to be there). We think of the mystique given to Morrocco by Humphrey Bogart....

Your photos are wonderful! Thank you for sharing them.
    Thanks Kathy. I guess I was declined as many times as allowed to take shots of people. I didn't even try to ask any veiled women, as I thought it would have been highly unlikely that they would have allowed me to capture their image - but that's OK, I respect their wishes and beliefs (having said that, I did grab some shots from afar that were too good to miss, and without the person being aware or even recognisable in the photo). But I only paid one person for a photo in the entire two weeks - the guy in the white smock was a barber in one of the medinas and he had a face I couldn't pass by, so I paid him the princely sum of 10 dirham (about 17 Aussie cents!) which I thought was a bargain.

Anyway, that's one of the adventures of travel photography, trying to figure out just *how* to get that shot! But I can understand how a bombing just might influence your attitude to a place!

Frank
  • Options
    chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2009
    Excellent journey and imagery! Morrocco is high on my wish list, and this set only sealed the deal. I checked out the full gallery too...very nice.

Was this a small-group guided tour? If so, may I ask which company provided the package?
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• Options
    edited May 30, 2009
    chrisdg wrote:
    Excellent journey and imagery! Morrocco is high on my wish list, and this set only sealed the deal.

Was this a small-group guided tour? If so, may I ask which company provided the package?
    I travelled with Kumuka (Google!), and the trip ("Magical Morocco") was advertised as a small group tour with a maximum of 17 travellers. Well, you can imagine my delight when we set off with just 5 travellers (all from the Antipodes thumb.gif ), plus our guide Rashid and driver. It made for a really personalised trip. The hotels were probably 3 star, nothing flash but comfortable with private facilities. One surprise was our stay overnight in the desert in a Berber tent - I was expecting all of us of sharing one big tent, but even there my single supplement meant that I had my own "room"...well, it was really just a carpet dividing my section off from the others.
    And the toilet tent about 100m away - FLUSHING TOILETS!!iloveyou.giflust How did they do that????
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 30, 2009
    I was in Morocco about 35 years ago. I wanted to photograph a military guard at the boarder. I was greeted with an automatic gun in my face. I have been to Epcot at Disney World. Morocco is one of the countries displayed in the world showcase. The "feel" and smell of the display is exactly as I remember Morocco...
    Beautiful photos in your gallery.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2009
    captain78 wrote:
    I was in Morocco about 35 years ago. I wanted to photograph a military guard at the boarder. I was greeted with an automatic gun in my face.
    Ha - none of that this time (although maybe at the borders things haven't changed). Most of the ceremonial guards were fine having their photos taken, just giving a curt nod in my direction when I held up the camera. But we were advised in the trip notes not to photograph policemen, military etc, which these days (unfortunately) seems to be the norm across a lot of the world.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2009
    clap.gif

Amazing journey thanks for sharing with us
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    MrMagooMrMagoo Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2009
    Blue Alleys by the Sea
    Wonderful photos; thanks for sharingclap.gif
    Pablo123
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    wonderfull journey!!

I visitied marocco last winter but wished i could stay longer. Its only a 3 hour trip for me though so i;m sure to visit it (and the sahara!!) again some day.

thanks for taking me along!
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2009
    wonderfull journey!!

I visitied marocco last winter but wished i could stay longer. Its only a 3 hour trip for me though so i;m sure to visit it (and the sahara!!) again some day.

thanks for taking me along!
    3 hours - arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:(::(:
  • Options
    dank-photodank-photo Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2009
    Do you know the feeling when you're somewhere, or seeing something, that you know is one of life's highlights?

I love those moments! Thanks for sharing these...incredible! thumb.gif

-Dan K
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Now *this* is quite a journey! Well done, super photos and I feel like I was there with you! clap.gif

I agree with Andy, your photos really take you there. Wonderful work.
  • Options
    IntrepidBerkeleyExplorerIntrepidBerkeleyExplorer Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Morocco photography
    My trip to Morocco was part of a tour in 1999 that also included Spain. I got into no mosques, there only being time for exterior photography of the Hassan II extravaganza. Casablanca's highlight for me was a hotel bar trying to replicate Rick's Place from the movie, complete with costumes. The resulting video scenes, with "As Time Goes By" for background music, at least captured the right mood.

Fez(Fes) and Marrakesh offer a great deal more than Casablanca. Every tourist must end up at the huge Fez tannery, which you captured as a composite still. Old Fez is a magnificent maze, impossible for cars, just like Venice. That leaves horses, donkeys and mules for transportation and commerce. I'm attaching a picture of how Coke adapts, still delivering its product the old fashioned way.

The famous circus square of Marrakesh, where you photographed the food vendors, is full of action and huge crowds of locals by dusk, which should have been perfect for video. But the sight of me with a camcorder often caused performers to immediately stop and demand that I give them money before the show continues. I placated the Berber acrobats, stars at this venue, and filmed their performance. It was much easier in the nearly empty square at earlier times of the day, when either nothing I did mattered, or a fee could be negotiated under less pressure. So I have snakes, tattoo artists, and a crazy dentist, all "off peak".

You may not have attended the Berber Extravaganza, a fantastic tourist show of music, dancing and horsemanship outside Marrakesh. The only problem there was my inability to both eat the feast and take pictures at the same time. Back in 1999, this was the entertainment highlight of my visit to Morocco.