Options

how to take 360 degree shots?

wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
edited June 12, 2009 in Technique
I am curious if anyone knows or can point me in the right direction for taking 360 degree pictures of a room?

You know the types that the hotels use to show you their rooms.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
WildViper
From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,895 moderator
    edited June 10, 2009
    There are at least 2 common methods that I know about:

1) Using a specialized lens or mirror to shoot the scene in a single image.

2) Using a panoramic bracket/head to shoot the scene in multiple, overlapping, images which are stitched together in panoramic software.

The first method has a convenience and speed factor, but the resulting images are generally only useful at low resolution and web applications.

The second method can provide superior image quality, and you can eliminate some distracting elements as you shoot (such as yourself.)

Some links to equipment that might be used for the first method:

http://www.pano-pro.com/khxc/index.php
    http://www.eyesee360.com/
    http://www.360dof.com/products/panorama-stitching-vr-equipment/vrstitcher-fisheye/index.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    jrogersjrogers Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    I've taken 360-degree pics of my backyard & my son's bedroom. Just take the pictures like you would any panorama that's going to be stitched together. ArcSoft Panorama Maker lets you turn your shots into a 360 degree interactive shot...you move your mouse and the picture moves. It's cool and it's easy. I don't have any examples posted on the web anywhere, but if I happen to get around to doing that, I'll post a link.
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    OK, here's a link for my 360-degree files. Only 2 different views of my backyard are available at this point:

http://jrogers0808.home.comcast.net/~jrogers0808/360.htm

After the pic loads, drag the mouse around to move it.
  • Options
    JermbubbaJermbubba Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    jrogers wrote:
    OK, here's a link for my 360-degree files. Only 2 different views of my backyard are available at this point:

the second doesnt load...
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    wildviper wrote:
    I am curious if anyone knows or can point me in the right direction for taking 360 degree pictures of a room?

You know the types that the hotels use to show you their rooms.

still needing help?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,895 moderator
    edited June 10, 2009
    Jermbubba wrote:
    still needing help?

If you have something to offer, don't be shy. We love discussion and other points of view. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    Jermbubba wrote:
    the second doesnt load...

Thanks. I fixed it.
  • Options
    bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Pano's are easy. You can handhold no problem, there's not a whole lot of science to it. Just overlap about 1/3 frame for each shot. Then just use the Photomerge tool in PS, everything set to auto. Always works flawlessly for me.

I did this 180 pano with a $129 Cybershot. :)

560369758_8aRQy-L.jpg

Click here for mega-size version :)
  • Options
    wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    Thank you all. I think I like the method of the panaroma rather than buying the special lens and having a low rez deal.

jrogers, I love the idea of the snow pix. That is awesome!

Can you tell me how you went about taking the shots? Do you have a pan head or just a normal one? I have the Kirk BH-3 with markings.

Does the software give an option to "Zoom in/Zoom out"???

Thanx

jrogers wrote:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2009
    wildviper wrote:
    Thank you all. I think I like the method of the panaroma rather than buying the special lens and having a low rez deal.

Can you tell me how you went about taking the shots? Do you have a pan head or just a normal one? I have the Kirk BH-3 with markings.

Thanx

Check out PTgui ... probably the most widely used stitching software for this type of application. Currently I use a d90 with 10.5mm fisheye. to get a complete 180*360 completed image. thats completely up and down. i only need 8 shots. 6 around and 1 up 1 down. the pan head i use is the nodal ninja. in my opinion the best all around head. but it depends on what your setup will be. 360s can be a pain but are one of my fav things to do. again let me know if your having trouble. I hate to point you away from this great forum but for 360specific forum you could visit panoguide.com
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2009
    wildviper wrote:

Thanx

I rarely use a tripod for my panos, although for the 360 degree shot it wouldn't be a bad idea.... I don't use any special equipment either - the shot's I posted where using my Nikon D60 with the 18-55mm lens. In the past I've also used a Canon Powershot....so any camera will do.

I stood in the center of the yard and rotated around, making sure there was overlap on each picture. You can get away without using a tripod because the software will align the pics anyway.

For my interior shot, (which I don't have posted) I had to get as wide-angle as I could...I used my 18-55mm zoomed out (18mm).

The software I used, ArcSoft Panorama Maker, does not give you the ability to zoom in or out.

Let me know if you need any more info.

John